DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
jerm is on a distinguished road
Question Need a little help...

Hopefully I am not posting a question that has already been answered. I saw similiar posts but not exact...

I am having problems with my 05 ram 1500. Awhile back, my wife was driving my truck... I say this because I am using her descriptions of what went wrong... Anyway, she was driving home and noticed that the A/C wasn't cooling. The air was still blowing fine and there was no change in performance, just no cold air. As she pulled into the drive the truck died and wouldn't start again. By the time I got home from work I had to jump start it to attempt to figure out what was wrong. Well, I got it started and after a few minutes the truck died again. So I jumped it again.. same result. So I guessed it was an electrical problem (bad battery and/or possibly a bad alternator). I charged the battery and tried again, this time to discover new problems and it died after sitting in the drive after a day and a half.

I have had the alternator rebuilt (bearings were bad) and have replaced the battery. I have also unsuccessfully tried to find a draw on the battery. The truck runs fine and during short test drives it performs fine. However, upon start-up the voltage gauge only goes about 1/4 of the way over. After running for a few minutes it drops all the way back down to no voltage and the check gages light comes on. And of course, my A/C still isn't cooling...

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know a rough price estimate of repair that would be great also... Money is tight to say the least, as I am a new dad. If at all possible or reasonable I intend to troubleshoot and/or repair it myself. Hopefully, I am just overlooking something simple.
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Welcome to the Z. Sounds like you've got a few things going on. First question is, when you had the alternator rebuilt, did that include replacing the voltage regulator which should be part of the alternator?

If you can keep it running long enough, take it to a local auto parts shop like Autozone and have them diagnose the charging system.

Once you get the charging system sorted out, get the A/C system diagnosed.

Do the major stuff first (charging) then move onto the minor stuff (A/C).

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
jerm is on a distinguished road

Hello RootBeer,
First off, thanks for the quick response. Yes, he did replace the regulator. This was my first time having work done by this particular guy. So I am unsure of his work, but he came recommended by close friends. I do intend to take it to Advance to have the diagnostic test ran this weekend. Just a matter of finding time in the day. I am keeping the new battery disconnected until I get the test ran. I would kick myself if I allowed the new one to drain too. Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Have them do a load test with it running and drain test with the motor off.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"