DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie 4x4 Xcab
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
Danno is on a distinguished road
Default P0441 Code fix

Is there a good way to diagnose what could be causing my truck to throw this code? I know there are several components that could do it, but I'm not in the mood to swap part by part to see what is causing it (my wallet doesn't like that method either).

Just thought I'd check here to see if there is a common part amongst these 5.9Ls that goes first...
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

This code indicates that there is no flow in the evaporator canister line. There are few things that you can check before spending any money.
1. Gas Cap - Make sure it's tight and the seal is good.
2. Canister hoses - Make sure they are all on and in good condition....wouldn't hurt to check the one from the vacuum switch to the canister for blockage.
3. Check the vacuum switch for signs of damage, etc. and the wires to it.

Remember that should the problem be as simple as the gas cap, it will take a few running cycles to clear the MIL.....or you can clear it with most code readers.

Good luck in solving your issue.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 AM

thanks for the tips, Brad. I dbl checked the gas cap and cleared the code. I didn't actually BUY a new cap, though, so i can't say for sure.

Could a vacuum leak in that system throw that code? If so, is there a method to determine a vacuum leak (like spraying carb cleaner to see if you get engine revving?)
Old 10-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

A vacuum leak in this system is what normally throws that code. As for a quick locate, I am unaware of any, but someone with more experience at this may be able to shed some light on a great troubleshooting method. I have only seen this code a 1/2 dozen times, and all but one was a loose gas cap. The remaining one was a bad vacuum hose which was easily located by the sound it made, so no fancy troubleshoot skills on my part.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 PM

Well, when at Wal-Mart I figured I'd splurge and just try a new cap. We'll see if that fixed it for good, but I drove the 7 miles to work after clearing the code and don't have anything pending in the system, so I think that must have done it.

I wish there was an easy way to tell that a gas cap has gone bad. The one I took off looks perfect in every way to me, but unless that code comes back then I think it must be a bad cap after all!

Lets call it fixed unless I come back to update otherwise.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Here's hoping!

It is likely to be one of the 'wait an see' games. Al least it isn't ,what I would call, a serious code. I have often found that the cap isn't bad, but didn't seal because of a small piece of dirt or something, and removing it and re-installing it fixed the problem, so if your old cap is still good, that would be consistent with my experiences.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Here's hoping!

It is likely to be one of the 'wait an see' games. Al least it isn't ,what I would call, a serious code. I have often found that the cap isn't bad, but didn't seal because of a small piece of dirt or something, and removing it and re-installing it fixed the problem, so if your old cap is still good, that would be consistent with my experiences.
I hear ya, but that's what I did originally. I took the cap off and looked at it real good, made sure I put it on right, cleared the code, and started it up and before I even left the driveway the CEL was back on.

So, now I've driven to and from work and it's still looking like that was the fix.

I'll throw the old cap in the box in the bed of the truck just in case I ever forget mine at the gas station. I haven't done that in years, but my more recent vehicles have them attached so they don't get left.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I hear ya, but that's what I did originally. I took the cap off and looked at it real good, made sure I put it on right, cleared the code, and started it up and before I even left the driveway the CEL was back on.

So, now I've driven to and from work and it's still looking like that was the fix.

I'll throw the old cap in the box in the bed of the truck just in case I ever forget mine at the gas station. I haven't done that in years, but my more recent vehicles have them attached so they don't get left.
With a loose gas cap, I try to put mine where the pump nozzle rests. That way, I can't put the nozzle back without picking up the cap.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanthecrabman View Post
With a loose gas cap, I try to put mine where the pump nozzle rests. That way, I can't put the nozzle back without picking up the cap.
Such a simple and great idea!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Thats the simplest and least expensive thing to try . There is equipment that some garages use to test the gas caps if you wish to pay for their service ! Examine the vacuum lines from your motor to the gas tank , looking for any cracks and possible leaks .