DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT REG. CABX2
Trim Level: SLT
Color: CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
RammD will become famous soon enough
Default What is the purpose of the Vent between the Bed and the Cab?

I'm just curious what exactly the purpose is of that square vent beteween my regular cab and the bed. I'm working on my sound right now but when I experimented with some subs and they hit that back vent you could hear flapping. I can't really see it but from what I can see, it looks like a vent. I just don't get the purpose of it as I would think it takes air from in the cabin out through the vent but the back panel in the cab covers the thing up from the inside so I have no clue what that thing is for...is it an air vent at all? lol
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:19
RainmanX is on a distinguished road

Due to the very close tolerances, the interior of the many vehicles are actually a bit pressurized. Closing a large door without a vent might cause trouble.

I also heard the fan on some vehicles was left intentionally on low, to help pressurize the interior to keep engine exhaust out.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

It allows the HVAC system to push air through the cabin. The are so well sealed, that without a vent, it would be almost impossible to heat or cool the cabin....it would just pressurize. Also helps with closing the doors....a lot!

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-14-2010, 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT REG. CABX2
Trim Level: SLT
Color: CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
Rep:61
RammD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It allows the HVAC system to push air through the cabin. The are so well sealed, that without a vent, it would be almost impossible to heat or cool the cabin....it would just pressurize. Also helps with closing the doors....a lot
Interesting.....would there be any issue with dynamatting around the Vent to prevent some of that nasty rattle? Or any other suggestions on what can be done to better firm that vent so it doesn't rattle when cranking up the sound some?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Dynamatting around it should be fine. I know a few people have put trunk liner right over it. Still breaths somewhat, but the doors don't close quite as nice. Can't say I've heard of anyone complain about the heating/cooling unless then completely blocked it off.

I haven't delved into this myself, so I can only pass on what others have told me....and a couple of them apparently modified it....removed the flap so it would vent but not rattle. I would think the flap is instrumental in keeping dust and bugs out....but like I said, I haven't worked on this myself.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

I'd try matting over it but perforate the mat to allow it to breathe. This would allow you better support (and stop the rattle) and still allow the cabin to vent itself.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:10
Jim Ram is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine had a mid 90's Toyota pickup without those vents. We couldn't close both the doors at the same time. I think because the air in the cab didn't have anywhere to go.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: "Brilliant" Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:26
elemke1243 is on a distinguished road

haha, I remember learning about the out vents..what an awful day in HVAC class :P
Old 10-24-2010, 11:54 PM

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

I missed this thread completely and I am experiencing the same problem. I have two 10's in the rear under the seats in a FoxAcoustics box. I HATE that darn rattling. I am not looking for all the boom boom, just like to crank an occassional good song and not sound like my truck is super-glued together.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by icOVERu View Post
I missed this thread completely and I am experiencing the same problem. I have two 10's in the rear under the seats in a FoxAcoustics box. I HATE that darn rattling. I am not looking for all the boom boom, just like to crank an occassional good song and not sound like my truck is super-glued together.
Well.....that's what you get for 'Venting'.....