DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi
Color: Black
Rep:53
cyberpine will become famous soon enough
Default Duel exhaust and deeper sound on a 2010 v6 3.7 Dodge 1500

There are some great videos on youtube showing how an aftermarket performance exhausts sounds on the v6 3.7 Dodge. But it's hard to be sure how loud or how annoyingly loud or ricie it might really sound.

I'm looking to upgrade a 2010 v6 3.7 Dodge Ram 1500 exhaust. Just want a deeper rumble at idle and would like to hear/feel the engine a bit more when I gun it, but don't want anything too loud or droning/humming in the cab. Some debate and confusion between Flowmaster 40 vs 50 and then other will say Magnaflow is best.

I'd like to install cat back duels to the corners to bigger tips (maybe 3 inches).

From what I've read Series 50 Flowmaster is probably going to be my best (safest) choice for a 3.7L cat back duel install where I'm not removing anything but the stock muffler.

Thoughts? Suggestions .. It's a brand new truck so somewhat apprehensive.

Oh yeah, I would just buy a Hemi, but I don't need anything that fast - safe/slow driver here ... but also - I actually want a vinyl bench seat, vinyl floors and roll up window. Also, I don't like the stock wheels/tires or duel exhaust the stock Hemi comes with.. and I can honestly get the V6 for over 10k less! So for me, superficial as it will sound.. I'll be happy with the v6 if I can just get the right look and sound from an exhaust and wheel upgrade.

Last edited by cyberpine; 10-16-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:14
MiRamDriver is on a distinguished road

It's pretty hard to get a V6 to sound deeper. That said, I would also have to say that every V6 that I have heard with an aftermarket exhaust has a drone...
Old 10-16-2010, 04:59 PM

Thanks for response.

Ive heard and seen a few in person and they don't sound bad at all.. But I've never driven in one at high speeds. There are other variables with pipes and if cats were removed, etc. The v6 stock exhaust is silent and the pipe out the side looks lame to me on a shortbed IMO.

I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a new 2010 v6, and this is holding me up. This next month 2010 prices might start to get really interesting.

An opened up Dodge V6 exhaust does not sound bad at all at idle... This might be a flowmaster 40 setup, I've read the 50 catback with duals out to the corners sounds even deeper but mildler. I worrry most about the drone in that I'm actually very sensitive to certain pitches..

This is a 50 - sounds rich and nice at idle, but I can see it being just annoying 2000 rpm - motorcycle sounding almost.

This one sounds nice.. just a 50 dump no pipes. but honestly hard to tell.

What's tough is that I would buy a Hemi, but don't like what it usually comes it. Don't like bucket seats, don't care for the rims, tires or exhaust choices ... do like that sweet hood though. Also gotta think that a hemi with aftermarket exhaust would probably annoy me at 2000 rpm too.

I found this post in the challenger forums:

BigDog 01-29-2010, 05:36 AM
I have an 03 1500 Ram, for the last five years I have been running the flowmaster 50HD. It is designed for the HEMI and is little bit quiter then the 40s, has a great sound and no drone at all in the cab.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by cyberpine; 10-16-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:04 AM

update Been reading a lot about the Flowmaster series 70. It's a big 3 chamber performance muffler. Much more milder than the series 40 or 50. Those that have it claim no cabin drone and still getting that distinct flowmaster sound at idle, but more milder is all.

I was hoping by chance somebody here has it on their 3.7L. I'm mostly concerned with drone at 1500rpm or it sounding like a moped when I gun it.

I'm thinking about either going with duel out 3 inch tips out the corners, or just replace the stock with it and dumping the tail downward as far as possible without it being visible. Do wonder how different those two configs will sound on a 3.7L. I've read dumping can reduce the most drone.

Apparently, Drone is not exclusive to v6s with flowmaster, the v8 guys complain about that too. And lot of Hemi's going with a series 70 as well.

Last edited by cyberpine; 10-17-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:18 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
Flaminchiten is on a distinguished road

I think you can get one optioned the way you like with the 4.7 liter v8. Then you also get the 5 speed auto, and a much better sounding engine.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
bighorn10 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the 4.7 would be your best bet. Not really a way to make a v6 sound good. If you got the v6, I would just leave the stock exhaust.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn10 View Post
Sounds like the 4.7 would be your best bet. Not really a way to make a v6 sound good. If you got the v6, I would just leave the stock exhaust.
I've been looking around locally at inventory, can't find a 2010 shortbed, regular in vinyl with a 4.7.

I would atleast like to hide the exhaust on the v6... How about cutting the tailpipe off at the spot where it turns down without touching the mufler? Any RAMifications from doing that?

Im not sure, but Flowmaster series 70 duel cat back with tips might not sound that bad..but it would be an expensive experiment.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 PM
erm

The larger debate over Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow centers on the HEMI trucks. However, the root cause of the debate is all about what sounds best and that is a very subjective issue. What sounds good to some does not sound good to others, and vice versa.

Those clips above are a good source of sound info but, still, it's hard to pick because you aren't right there to hear the sound outside and inside the truck.

So I am going to add to your confusion. I have heard several V6 300s, Challengers, Chargers and Magnums with Blastin' Bob's kits on them. They sound great! I don't know if they make a kit for the Ram but it might be worth checking out.

If you want a deeper tone, try removing your rear tailpipe resonator first and leave the stock muffler on. Then go from there.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:20 PM

The tailpipe resonator is before the mufler or after?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Just throwing in my 2 cents. If you do end up getting a V6 or 4.7 RAM you will always be saying to yourself, geeze I should have got the HEMI. Trust me you will. So save yourself the grieve and just get the HEMI from the get go. You won't be disappointed. Just saying...... Also, you can get a base ST with bench seat, single exhaust with the HEMI.