DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram 1500
Color: OD Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
brads ram is on a distinguished road
Exclamation misfire issues

i have a 96 1500 it was due for a tine up so i changed plugs with autolite copper new wires then started to misfire after a week of driving so i did a cap and rotor still no resolution i just replaced the pick up coil made an improvement but on acceleration it lags power and starts poping from the exhaust im about out of ideas whats the cause of all this im starting to get tired of spending money on this thing any help would be great thanks ran fine before second engine has 180k on the motor old plugs were shot
Old 09-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Licensed thread jacker

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Rep:1711
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Misfire could be the wires cross firing. Check to make sure they arent and there's no sparks (at night in the dark, open the hood).

Bad injector can bring up a misfire code.

Reset the ECM. Unhook the negative terminal. Cycle the key once. Reattach the negative terminal.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

if you changed the plugs your self there is a high possibility that you put the wrong plug wires on the wrong plugs. its happened to all of us. for me more times then id like to admit lol. the fact that you said it drove fine for a week makes me doubt thats the issue but still id find a wiring diagram some where on the internet then id take all the plug wires off and put them back on and have some on there to check that you did it right. not to insult you or anything im sure they are correct but some times we overlook the stupid things.

when i had my 96 i had the same exact issue. did a tune up ran fine then started misfiring i spend a good 2 weeks replacing parts that didnt fix the issue. come to find out that the cap and rotor ( which was brand new ) was the issue. some how within 2 weeks of driving something on it broke i cant remember what though.

also when i replaced the engine it was misfiring so i looked and one of the spark plug wires was arching onto the cylinder head. i forget why it was doing that if i remember correctly i replaced the plug wires and it didnt do it any more.

hope i helped in some way get back to us and let us know what you find
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 10-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default still working the issue at hand

i have also replaced the coil made a huge improvement but still have muliple misfire on all cylinders drove it for about 30min before i felt the misfires this time. plug wires are good ive checked the routing multiple times and had another mechanic at my work verify theres no arching, When the truck is in park and cold its runs smooth as silk my buddy thinks its the cat but im not pulling any o2 codes or cat codes just misfires
Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

i hate problems like this where something is wrong but no CEL. when you are driving has the engine just shut off? im thinking maybe the crank shaft positioning sensor but thats the only thing i can think of. let us know when you figure it out.
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Licensed thread jacker

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

kI'd check the upstream 02 sensors. Unplug them and try it. But before you do that, reset the ecm. Unhook the negative terminal and cycle the key once to do a full power drain. Then rehook the negative terminal and let it relearn. Don't check the codes after it relearns because it may recall stored dormant codes and start the problem all over.

NOTE: you DO NOT have to wait any amount of time after you cycle the hey once with the negative terminal unhooked. That's BS. The cycling drains the system and can then be rehooked immediately.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'll try cycling the key do I need to pull the o2 out or just unplug the connector? Do I plug the sensor back in before starting or let it run with out it. The truck has not cut off so I started to lean away from the crank sensor
Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Licensed thread jacker

Reset the ECM, and try it. If it still acts up, try unplugging the 02 to see it it makes a difference.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I've reset the ecm and noticed a big difference on it runs just wondering how long the relearn takes my idle has droped to 500 rpm and fluxuates to just under 500 im guessing thats part of the relearn but can i drive it while its doing that ive let it idle in my drive for about 30min so far
Old 10-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Licensed thread jacker

Yes you can drive it. But remember, if you check the codes with the k3, you will have to reset the ecm again.