DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
SNAFU is on a distinguished road
Arrow

I'm up in northern Ohio. Its pretty flat around here. I have a 12 ft enclosed trailer, as well as a 19 ft aluminum Crestliner boat that i tow. Maximum weight of either load i would say is 4k lbs. And i don't tow very often. I'm going back into a full sized truck so I hopefully won't have to pull a trailer around when i need to move something.

I simply cant justify the additional cost, and loss of fuel economy for the hemi.

I recently towed with roughly the same truck I'm looking to purchase from here in ohio to Kentucky, and back with a moderately heavy trailer load. As long as I stayed out of overdrive going through the hills in ky the truck handled the weight just fine. I surely appreciate your concern on the matter tho.

I'll be having down to look at those two trucks tomorrow. hopefully i'll be able to post back as an official member of the Dodge Ram club. I've never owned a dodge before, but simply fell in love with the RAM after my road trip a few weekends ago. I hope it'll he a sweet relationship.

Bill
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAFU View Post
I'm up in northern Ohio. Its pretty flat around here. I have a 12 ft enclosed trailer, as well as a 19 ft aluminum Crestliner boat that i tow. Maximum weight of either load i would say is 4k lbs. And i don't tow very often. I'm going back into a full sized truck so I hopefully won't have to pull a trailer around when i need to move something.

I simply cant justify the additional cost, and loss of fuel economy for the hemi.

I recently towed with roughly the same truck I'm looking to purchase from here in ohio to Kentucky, and back with a moderately heavy trailer load. As long as I stayed out of overdrive going through the hills in ky the truck handled the weight just fine. I surely appreciate your concern on the matter tho.

I'll be having down to look at those two trucks tomorrow. hopefully i'll be able to post back as an official member of the Dodge Ram club. I've never owned a dodge before, but simply fell in love with the RAM after my road trip a few weekends ago. I hope it'll he a sweet relationship.

Bill

Now I'm gunna go the other way on you. Since the Hemi has the Multiple Displacement System (MDS), depending on your driving habits I will beat the 4.7 by about MPG at highway speeds. The flip side is a lot of people dislike the MDS and drive with tow/haul engaged or get a tunner to turn it off.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
SNAFU is on a distinguished road

Hmmm....... my understanding was that even with the mds system the Hemi got worse gas mileage on the freeway. Is it a significant increase?

Bill
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Quote:

Bill
The 4.7 can't touch the fuel economy of the Hemi. Especially if you get a truck with 3.21 or 3.55 gears.

The 3.21's won't be great for towing but you can still do it.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hmmm....... my understanding was that even with the mds system the Hemi got worse gas mileage on the freeway. Is it a significant increase?

Bill
On the '09 the window sticker was 20 mpg for the hemi and 19 for the 4.7. If you an doing it for milage alone I'm not sure it's worth the price difference, but of course there is the difference in power.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Here's some info I posted about my trip to Reno in Sep. Maybe this will help.
Quote:
Total mileage was 942.4 round trip. Almost double the total miles on the truck. I filled up twice coming home, once because I had not filled up since arriving in Reno and just wanted to make sure I had enough gas to get home. Second time was to do a final MPG check.

First fill up was 274 miles with 114 of that combined city and mountain driving. 160 of it was hiway at 80mph. MPG was 16.91. Not bad considering. Second fill up was 250.7 miles with the average speed being 60mpg and 20.12 mpg.

Total trip was 942.4 miles and 18.54mpg. Not bad at all. Cruise and A/C were used whenever possible.

Performance of the Hemi is impressive. I am old school so I don't play much until I have 1000 miles under the hood. On one stretch of road coming back there was motorhome doing 60 and I approached it doing 65 but had to slow down due to oncoming traffic. Once clear I jumped out in the other lane and floored it. 60 - 85 in no time flat. Reminds of being back in the 70's and 80's with my muscle cars
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
The 4.7 can't touch the fuel economy of the Hemi. Especially if you get a truck with 3.21 or 3.55 gears.

The 3.21's won't be great for towing but you can still do it.
From personal experiance the HEMI will get much better MPG than the 4.7. I had a 4.7 in an 08 Dakota and although it is a great engine the milage absolutely sucks in comparison to my HEMI RAM. Get the HEMI, you won't be disappointed.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:23 PM

Vehicle: 08 lonestar hemi ram qc
Trim Level: slt
Color: white/gold
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:13
liljohn30 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Bill
my 08 hemi qc get 18 mpg city 2o something highway,yes i have a tuner .predator and the mds is turned off intake and cat back exhaust also
Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

The new Rams come with trailer wiring at the rear bumper. This is 'not' a trailer tow package, it is simply standard equipment wiring. If you want the Class IV hitch receiver, it is an option. If you want the factory trailer brake controller, it's an option. They have essentially done away with the 'Trailer Tow Package' altogether. For more information on this, go to the Ramtrucks.com web site, and select 'build & price'.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI