DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
cbhuss75 is on a distinguished road
Default Kool Vue CAI-

First off let me say that this forum has been a huge help with my current rig and my last cummins dodge rig (RIP). This is my first post but I thought my experience with the kool vue cold air intake systems that are for sale on the internet for under 100$ might be of interest to others.

The fitment and quality of parts were every bit as good as the S&B intake that I had on a previous Dodge. The install took less than 40 minutes and aside from having to buy a 3 ft heater hose to connect the crank breather to the intake (it is locate about 2 ft farther than the stock air box) I had no issues with missing or wrong parts.

The Filter Seems of good quality (Looks on par and is the same color as my old K&N) but there is really no way to see how well it protects. Air flow is fantastic and the sound is just what you'd expect from a CAI.

I did not reset the PCM after installing it and my mileage went in the crapper (from 14-16 to 5-8). I was having throttle surging from 1000-1500 RPMs with the truck in neutral. I initially tried to take the negative battery cable off for 20 minutes and held the key in the full start position for 30 seconds and while this did re-set the CEL light, it did not clear the PCM of FI data.

I eventually had to remove both battery cables, ground the system out by touching them together (off the battery of course) and then I let the the truck sit overnight with the cables disconnected.

This seems to have fixed the problem. Now my idle is back to normal, and although I have not done a manual calculation for mileage, the fuel I used on my way to work seemed to be back to normal.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

Welcome to the site!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info. Touching the contacts to ground the system out seems to be the fail safe to reset the tables. Glad you solved that.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.3, Manual
Color: Black
Rep:23
Mad Dog Tannen is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site.

IDK if this will help but on my Honda, all I have to do is pull a fuse and it resets the tables. Maybee there is a fuse on Rams that does the same thing.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 AM
erm

Welcome to the Z!

What part of Oregon are you in?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Update

Well, Thought I had the problem solved but I checked my mileage again and it is still sitting around 8 MPG. I've put the stock air cleaner back on and will see if that brings it back to the 14-16 I was getting prior to installing this Intake.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Welcome to the Z.

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 11-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Mileage issue solved!

After reviewing other posts I narrowed the problem down to 3 things, o2 sensor, Map sensor, or Coolant temp sensor. I replaced each of them one at a time and found out that I had a upstream 02 sensor that had just happen to fail at the exact same time as I put the intake on. Now Mileage is back up to 16+ and I've got the extra power to boot. The new Map sensor has smoothed out the Idle a bit too. I tested the old one and the OHM resistance was lower but still within range, but the new one seemed to have about 2x the resistance.

I have to say that the intake sounds great, and it has given me a little boost in power, especially at 3500 rpm's or better. really helps pulling hills in a higher gear.

Thanks for all the help. These forums are the best!