DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 2500 HD
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
Jd316 is on a distinguished road
Default 2009 6.7 Exhaust Mods

Just wondering if anyone out there has done any mods to their exhaust, and if so, have you taken it in for any warranty work? I wanted to take my muffler off, and the dealership told me that with the exhaust problems that have been going on that dodge is not covering if any exhaust mods have been made. I called the 800 number in the warranty handbook and was told that, "I can't tell you if the modification will or will not void your warranty". It's got me a little confused being that I don't believe the muffler has anything to do with the dpf system. Maybe I'm wrong though. Just wanted to know what others think or what they have done and gotten away with.
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

It has nothing to do with emissions. It's really going to come down to your service department. Personally, I wouldn't void your warranty over a muffler.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:58 PM
erm

They aren't responsible to warranty the muffler but the emissions system should still be warranted.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will leave it on. From doing further reading, some are saying that removing the muffler really didn't make much difference in the sound level. According to my dealership, Chrysler will not cover the repairs it there is any altering at all with the exhaust system. Haven't had any problems yet, but I'm sure if I removed the muffler then something would come up; not related to removing the muffler, but just my bad luck.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:47 PM

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd316 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will leave it on. From doing further reading, some are saying that removing the muffler really didn't make much difference in the sound level. According to my dealership, Chrysler will not cover the repairs it there is any altering at all with the exhaust system. Haven't had any problems yet, but I'm sure if I removed the muffler then something would come up; not related to removing the muffler, but just my bad luck.
I am in your same boat and just waiting things out. Still doing my research. Thanks for asking the questions.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default No Problem

No problem. My dealership said that altering the exhaust in any way at all could be grounds for Chrysler not to cover even an engine problem right now. Guess they're losing alot of money on repairing this new exhaust stuff. I thought about the dpf delete, but then my dealer told me that so I changed my mind. Looks like until they get all the bugs worked out that we've just got to put up with what we've got.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 PM

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

That's about the stance we've taken, honestly. Not worth the risk. My tech has already done things to protect me, when I was in the wrong. Don't want to push it.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I totally agree. Some are saying that removing the muffler didn't make that much difference in the sound. I sure would like to liven mine up a little, but looks like I'm going to be waiting a while. Haven't tried an intake yet, but I'm sure that will liven up the turbo a little.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:27
cuda71 is on a distinguished road

What intake are you thinking about getting? I'm hoping to get the banks one relatively soon (hopefully). I would like to play around with the exhaust bud dodge being so finiky with there warranty, not sure I want to try it. Here's a bit of interesting reading . . . . .

After-market Accessories Do Not Effect New Vehicle Warranties

There’s a common myth circulating amongst vehicle owners and dealership personnel – according to some “experts,” adding after-market parts will void a new vehicle’s warranty. This is completely false. While it is true that an after-market part could cause a problem that isn’t covered under warranty, it’s against federal law to void a warranty because someone uses an after-market part.
The Magnuson Moss-Warranty Act

The Magnuson-Moss warranty act is a federal law enacted in 1975 that makes it illegal for auto manufacturers (or any manufacturer of consumer products, for that matter) to void a warranty simply because the owner of the vehicle adds an after-market product to a vehicle. The law states that manufacturers have to repair a vehicle problem UNLESS they can prove the problem was caused by an after-market part.
The Magnuson-Moss act also makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to require “tie-ins” as a condition of your warranty. Dealers and manufacturers can not require you to service your vehicle at the dealership as a condition of your warranty, nor can they require you to use certain brand name parts for your maintenance or repairs.

In other words, the Magnuson-Moss act says:
  1. Warranties can not be voided simply because an after-market part is used on your vehicle.
  2. Warranty repairs can only be denied when it can be proven than an after-market part caused the failure.
  3. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer – the dealership must show that a specific after-market part caused a problem in order to deny a warranty claim.
  4. When an after-market part is the cause of a specific problem, only the warranty for that problem can be denied. Other, unrelated problems are still covered under warranty.
  5. The dealership or manufacturer can not require consumers to use a particular brand of part or require service to be completed at a specific location as a condition of their warranty.
Situational Examples

Example #1:
You install an after-market lift kit on your new 4×4 pickup. 2 years later, your truck (still under warranty) requires new front ball bearings. The dealership must prove that the ball bearings wore prematurely as a result of your after-market lift kit. Otherwise, they must replace the ball bearings under warranty. In this case, the dealership would likely try and show that the kit was either a) installed incorrectly or b) pushed the factory suspension beyond reasonable limits.
Provided that the kit was designed for your vehicle and correctly installed, it’s very difficult for a dealership to prove that your lift kit is the cause of your problem. Therefore, this situation would be covered under warranty.
Moral of the story: Dealers can’t just say that your after-market part caused a problem – they have to be able to prove it.
Example #2:
You install a nitrous oxide boost kit on your new truck. Unfortunately, the kit was installed incorrectly and the first use causes a major engine problem. When you take your truck to the dealership, they determine that your nitrous system was not installed correctly and therefore caused your engine problem. Because it’s clear the engine problem was caused by your after-market part, the engine problem is NOT covered under warranty.
Moral of the story: Make sure that whoever installs your after-market parts knows what they’re doing. Don’t work with an installer that you don’t have complete confidence in.
Example #3:
You pay to have an after-market stereo installed in your vehicle, the but the stereo is too powerful for your truck’s electrical system, and as a result your truck’s alternator fails as a result a few days later. When you bring the truck to the the dealership for diagnosis, they determine that the alternator failed because of the after-market stereo. At this point, the dealership informs you that any further repairs to the electrical system will not be covered unless you remove the after-market stereo.
This is perfectly legal. However, if any other parts fail on this truck that are NOT related to the electrical system – like the engine, transmission, suspension, etc. – your warranty is still in full effect.
Morals of the story:
1. Make sure that the after-market parts you install on your vehicle are designed for your vehicle. If you put the wrong part on your truck, you will have problems that probably won’t be covered under warranty.
2. Just because you have an after-market part that causes a problem, that doesn’t void your entire warranty.
Bottom line: After-market parts can not void your warranty. However, after-market parts that are either not designed for your vehicle or that are installed incorrectly can cause warranty problems. So, be sure to buy after-market parts from reputable companies, and make certain to follow use and installation instructions carefully. Follow these rules, and your warranty is safe.

Source
Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Great post Cuda. Thanks for the info. I've almost decided after doing some reading that I'm going to remove the entire dpf system. I've only got 10,000 miles on my truck, but I've been doing some reading on the net on how the dpf system causes wearing of certain engine components around 100K miles. I've seen a couple of systems, but this one particularly caught my eye. The entire system costs $1399.99.

Package includes: The only problem with it is that you have check the manufacture date because it has this warning.

** ATTENTION 2009 DODGE RAM 6.7L OWNERS! **
DO NOT INSTALL THIS TUNER ON YOUR TRUCK IF THE BUILD DATE IS ON OR AFTER 03/01/2009! YOU CAN FIND THE BUILD DATE IN THE DOOR JAM OF THE DRIVERS DOOR. TRUCKS BUILT ON OR AFTER THIS DATE HAVE ENCRYPTED SOFTWARE IN THE ECM THAT DOES NOT ALLOW THE USE OF ANY TUNER AT THIS TIME. INSTALLING THIS TUNER ON YOUR TRUCK THAT IS BUILT AFTER 03/01/09 WILL DAMAGE THE ECM AND WILL NOT BE COVERED BY H&S PERFORMANCE OR YOUR DEALER!
H&S Performance is currently working around this issue and should soon have a fix for this. Please keep checking our website for any updates or call the H&S Performance tech department with any questions at 1-888-628-1730.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?