DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Overdive problem

I have a 2000 Ram 1500 with 183000 miles on it. Bought used because I needed the 5.9 liter to tow a trailer. Got it home and went to install a tranny cooler. Had to identify which line was which to the radiator tranny cooler, so I disconnected one line to the radiator, and put it in a bucket, and had the wife start the truck for a second. Found the fluid to be fairly brown. Mind you, the truck shifted fine at this point. So I drained what fluid I could by just dropping the pan, and blowing out the radiatior cooler. Put in a new filter and topped of the fuild with new stuff. Finished installing the tranny cooler. Later hooked up the trailer and took a trip. I live in Arizona, so it gets pretty hot here. Drove from Phoenix up to the Greer in the White mountains. There was quit a bit of straining going up the mountain roards. On the way home, the truck didn't want to shift into the last gear. I'm assuming that's overdrive. Now I know there is a lot of talk about weather you should or should not tow with overdrive on. Well the majority does. So anyway, about 3/4 the way home the only way it will shift in the last gear is if I leave up on the elcelerartor. I made it home okay, and read somewhere that since the oil was old, brown and gummy, after changing it someone recomended put in a quart of TransX. I tried it and it seemed to work. Now a few months later I'm seeing the same issue. Have read everying from that I need a total rebuild, to the overdrive solenoid is bad, some kind of electrical harness is bad, to connections on the firewall are corrodied. Who in the heck do you believe? I really don't want to spend the money on a rebuild job if it ends up being something simple. Who can you trust? Not sure where to go from here?
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Did you have it scanned for any transmission codes? If you're towing, I wouldn't expect to see a lot of shifting into overdrive unless it's a light load on level ground.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 AM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

I turned the ignition on and off, etc, no codes popped up. It did do a lot of shifting, I was going through mountains
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

You'll need to hook up a scan tool . Alot of times the key dance doesn't work . Stop by the newbie section and introduce yourself . To help us see what your driving , go to the User Cp at the top of the page and complete your profile . It helps us mechanics see what vehicle were trying to diagnose .
Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Going to try AutoZone. They have hooled up a scanner to a vehicle for me before for free.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:00 PM

No luck. Autozone's scanner only downloads codes if the check engine light comes on. Mine does not. He said to go to Ammco and have them diagnose it. My problem with that is, they usually just want to rebuild the tranny, which is big bucks. I'm trying to avid that if possible
Old 12-05-2010, 03:56 PM

Now a new problem. While driving at a noraml pace, I punch the ecelerator, and the rpm's go up to 5000, then down to about 2000, then back up, and so forth. It does this about 3-4 times, thenm finially up shifts. What the heck could that be?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Chevy Cobalt
Trim Level: laramie
Color: gold
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
camopaint0707 is on a distinguished road

i've heard that the trans in these generations of rams seem to have a lot of issues, you might need a new one