DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
mike1999 is on a distinguished road
Default hesitation and sputtering on start up

I have a 1999, with a 5.2, when I start it for the 1st 3-4 minutes it runs rough, sputters, and has some hesitations to it, when driving, after that it seems fine. Does anyone have any ideas
on what to look at there?
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Sorry, I'm not much help on this one, but this forum is filled with plenty of knowledge. I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum, we're glad to have you here
Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Hard to say offhand. Got any codes stored?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

mike1999 is on a distinguished road

No codes stored
Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 PM

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Dspty on this one. I will leave it to the pros. Best of luck and keep us posted. Welcome aboard!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
armyguy2us is on a distinguished road

Ok, due to the problem I having with my 97 ext cab I so far have replaced the purge valve for the evap system and the air intake located on the back of the throttle body. Mine style sputters after it warms up if I sit at a traffic light too long and is hesatant while accelerating. I have been told it is the fuel pump. I'm hoping that isn't it. Here in 7 weeks we are moving to Ft Sill Oklahoma and my wife will be pulling her car on a tow dolly while I am pulling the horse trailer with my flatbed F350. Kinda got off subject there. Back to the issue at hand, I know that it did not help my truck but from what I am told if it isn't throwing a code then it most likely is the butterflies on the throttle body that need to be cleaned. Make sure that when you buy the carb cleaner it is oxygen sensor and catalytic converter safe. I had to put a new cat on my truck and 299.00 later it got better gas mileage but could have been avoided. My truck has 180,000 miles on it and I am rebuilding it one part at a time, atleast it seems that way. Try cleaning the throttle body and I would suggest to do this while it is running. There agian take it from someone that didn't do it the right way. I had to swap batteries between my 2 truck cause I killed the one in the dodge trying to start it after I sprayed almost the whole can of carb cleaner in it. Technically you will need to take it off to clean it but I really don't have that kind of time on my hands right now. Hope this helps, I need to go fid my lucky hammer to work the dodge with now.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:47 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

There's a tutorial with photos in the knowledge base. A dirty throttle body will cause idling problems but it wont cause acceleration problems. If you suspect the fuel pump then you need to check volume and pressure while the engine is under a load.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Rule 1

Rule 1 when working on any vehicle with an electric fuel pump: Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line and monitor the fuel pressure on startup. This is very easy to do on a Dodge Ram as there is a test port on the fuel rail that services the fuel injectors on the driver's side of the engine. You can buy this fuel pressure test tool at NAPA. Make sure you get and DON'T LOSE the little brass adapter that you need for the Dodge Ram test port connector fitting.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: 97 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:55
Ram15002ndgen will become famous soon enough

If it's only a problem when cold then I would think it's your IAC sensor on the back part of the throttle body. That gets gunked up and makes for rough cold starts. That can be taken off and cleaned. Other than that a dirty throttle body or sticking throttle positioning sensor. You can do a quicky job just running some cleaner through the throttle body while it's running, but if it's really bad you will have to take it off and clean it out thoroughly.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 PM

The IAC is a bi-directional electric motor, not a sensor. A cold start problem points toward fuel pressure and volume bleeding back into the tank due to a faulty check valve in the pump. IAC related problems would show up hot or cold.