DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500 4wd ext 5.2
Color: white
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Joe Daddy is on a distinguished road
Default 318/5.2 fueling. Can the EFI keep up with more air?

New to the site and dodge gassers so there's a learning curve. I'm already seeing many avenues to increase the output of my 5.2 but am concerned with the EFI's ablity to learn.

A stock engine will produce about 70-80 percent of its volume due to air restriction. I come from a background where producing in excess of 120% is common. I can see the potential to get close to 100% out of the 318. The ? Is will the injectors be able to keep up with stock pressures or do I nee to get more PSI/bigger inj's?????
Can this be done with a tuner?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The PSI will likely be ok depending on your plans but I'm thinking you'll likely need bigger injectors to handle the increased flow you'll need. 5.9 injectors may do the trick. I don't have flow numbers for either set or I'd post them up for you.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Cool...

How about a big single plane in place of the factory footstole intake?
Anyone tried?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

Interesting choice... small engine, heavy vehicle for modding. Been there, done that...

I guess I'd rather have an idea on what mods you're looking at. From other sites I hang out on, it appears stock injectors will handle about 275 rwhp. My ECM seems to relearn basic mods quickly, adding fuel to correct the increased airflow within two gas tank fillups.
Since aftermarket single plane manifolds tend to be peaky, and usually in an upper rpm range, you should consider other mods to compensate.
Information I've read also favors modding your kegger or footstool intake unless you are planning much bigger and better things. Shortening the runners about an inch and half and and doing some port matchng or even filling the plenum slightly have produced decent gains and a broader torque curve which is handy when launching a heavy vehicle.
WHile I can't name other forums to look for info, you might try Hughes engines or KRC performance. Hughes had done a ton of work on magnum motors.
Edt: I reread your first post and you mentioned a tuner. You might email hemifever@aol.com. He custom builds programs for SCT tuners and has a good rep.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 10-28-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

That would be more than enough. I'm not trying to build a hot rod just something that will pull a 6000# trailer without puking its guts out. The single plane shouldn't matter because (as I'm sure you know) dual planes only out perform because of fuel atominzation. W/inj's doing that the unrestricted single should out perform the dual... for the exmples you've shown. Shortening runners.

Ill look into the programing.

On edit:
If the stock "Kegger" can handle the extra flow to get me to 552 CFM (318x6000rpm@ 100% VE) then there's no reason to swap mani.

Last edited by Joe Daddy; 10-29-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'd definately do some port matching and runner smoothing but I don't think I'd shorten the runners. A decen't "RV" cam would certainly benefit you.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:33 PM

AHHHH...You want to pull 6000 lbs with your truck. I'm hoping this is only a weekend thing.

Having atttempted this a more than a couple occasions with a 5.9 truck, and my hindsight being 20/20, I would probably start out with a gearing change if your gears are 3:55 or numericly lower, and a bunch of transmission mods. You may not puke your engine, but you will puke your tranny. I'm only offering this since you didn't mention that you'd done these things or contemplated them.
After that I wish you the best of luck. While you might string together a bunch of bolt on mods that might net you 50 or 60 horses you've still got only 318 ci. Motors like this are not torque monsters and never have been. And sadly your motor will never run at 100% ve if it has any miles on it what so ever. Most equations figure in at around 95-98%.
Even with MFI you can't overcome the physics of weight vs. torque. If you're used to dealing with diesels, you're gonna be VERY disappointed.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 10-29-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yah thats the rub. I'm a powerstroke/cummins guy but am tired of dealing with diesels in the winter. You dont think it can do 6000# regularly? I'm surprised, I use to haul that much and more with 350's and 351's, you go through a tranny once in awhile but if it makes more than it costs it's Black Ink.

The tranny itself is a weak point but I'm about to embark on it's inner workings, i'm buying a 95 2wd 360/auto bad trans to rebuild and keep motor for a spare. The PCM's should interchange right? Anyway the trans will go on my bench and we will get aquianted.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Daddy View Post
Yah thats the rub. I'm a powerstroke/cummins guy but am tired of dealing with diesels in the winter. You dont think it can do 6000# regularly? I'm surprised, I use to haul that much and more with 350's and 351's, you go through a tranny once in awhile but if it makes more than it costs it's Black Ink.

The tranny itself is a weak point but I'm about to embark on it's inner workings, i'm buying a 95 2wd 360/auto bad trans to rebuild and keep motor for a spare. The PCM's should interchange right? Anyway the trans will go on my bench and we will get aquianted.
Sadly, a 318 isn't a 350 or 351. While it's a great motor for longevity and general driving and transportation, using one for what you'd like is really stretching it's capabilities.
I checked my owners manual, and it tells me a 318 ext cab 4by will pull a 7200 lb trailer. It also says my truck will do that, and it will, but not very well. Through the panhandle of Texas, yes. From Phoenix to Flagstaff, or Flag to Albuquerque, not so well. But I also have a lift and bigger tires with 3:55s.
About a month ago I pulled a flatbed 2 axle U-haul with two ricks of wood about 70 miles. Had to leave the overdrive off and got about 10 mpg through the hill country here. OD was a waste and starting from a dead stop was a nightmare.
I've had several old school 318 trucks and vans, and while they were great for hauling kids, dogs, lumber etc, I couldn't tow my '74 roadrunner with a dual axle trailer.
I wish you the best with this. Mopar to ya!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

After pulling an empty 2horse about 120 miles into the wind saturday I'd say you're right. It pulled fine but had to stay out of O/D and running @ hwy speeds (75) it was turning just shy of 3grand. Fuel didn't suffer too much suprisingly but I'm a driver so I had an advantage in the hills. Emptys and the occassional crusher car will be all I ever expect from this truck and after Saturday seeing its weaknesses I don't think it will be a prob.