DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT 2WD Crew Cab
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
whereiswill is on a distinguished road
Default Sikk Toyota

Quote:
This is a new ford ranger (may not go for sale in the US), but I'd like that look with a roll bar
I like that truck, but it looks to me like Ford (for all their recent anti-Toyota propaganda) has ripped off the general look of the Tundra in designing this concept. Also, I would like to say that I have always wanted to relocate the 3rd brake light to the Roll-Bar. I'm picky enough that I'm not satisfied with most aftermarket roll-bars, so I figured one day when I design and fabricate my own, it will have an integrated 3rd brake light.
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi
Color: Black
Rep:53
cyberpine will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiswill View Post
I like that truck, but it looks to me like Ford (for all their recent anti-Toyota propaganda) has ripped off the general look of the Tundra in designing this concept. Also, I would like to say that I have always wanted to relocate the 3rd brake light to the Roll-Bar. I'm picky enough that I'm not satisfied with most aftermarket roll-bars, so I figured one day when I design and fabricate my own, it will have an integrated 3rd brake light.
I would have to agree that this new Ranger (not for sale in the US from what I have read), looks way japanese. I find that my 2010 ram has some jap styling going on too. I'm an old chevy squarebody guy.. but things grow on you over time.

there's company that fabs headache Racks with the lights. Kinda nice, but every xpensive.

My plan is to custom fab the bars, but the cross bar will be slighly above the bed light. Mostly functional for carrying long lumber. Maybe design in a another cross removable cross bar or a second bar for carrying a kayak.

Highway products:

Also nice, Spider industries:

I'm flirting with this and with a tailgate extender as my only planned mods.. maybe some wider tires (305/55/20s) when factories wear out.

Seperate topic, but on the subject of truck designs that apparently never see the US market.

Mitsubishi Triton.. Very Japaneese looking, but would have seriously done a test drive at least. I got my 2010 Ram at a crazy 10k discount with a Hemi after I saw that all the v6s (including the Nissan Frontier) were rated at around 15 to 20mpg anyways. Its honestly more truck and power than I ever needed, but every time I drive it I justify burning extra fuel. .. sadly, so far 2500 miles and can only get around 12mpg. Still hoping to get 15mpg after burn in. But not holding my breath.

Thanks.

Last edited by cyberpine; 12-30-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:27 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

I like the style of rollbar I had on my old truck. I think it looks good.

You gotta get the lights though!

8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM

That is a classic look on that chevy, I had a very similar roll bar on an f150 with lights and all. Problem is (for me), those steel bars weigh a tone. need a bunch of holes into the bed nice for rust starters, and they resitrict what you can do with the bed. Also, lights and weight will further agrevaite the 12mpg I'm currently getting in that Hemi.

I'm thinking of to fabricating something out of Aluminun that will sit on the bed lips, not inside. Maybe 3 inch OD - 1/8 inch guage Aluminum.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
kool ram is on a distinguished road

Here is my 2009 with a roll bar built by Sterling Equipment. Retro 80s!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Rumble Bee #897
Color: Yellow
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:101
JackDaniel will become famous soon enoughJackDaniel will become famous soon enough

wow that blue ram looks amazing
2004 Ford Mustang GT
2005 Rumble Bee (for sale!!!!)
Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM

That blue retro looking shortbed looks sweet lifted like that. I problably would have ended up in a shortbed if the hemi transmission was not on the floor and I could fit 3 in a bench.

I've owed trucks with steel rollbars bolted through the floor and lights like that .. looks awsome, but my take on it (besides being clearly retro), is that steel is way
too heavy and creates all sorts of rust issues down the line and lights really kill mpgs. I found I would never use them. However and eventually,
I found myself using the rollbar as a headache bar instead and so took the lights off. If you use your truck like a truck (I find) Headache bars are extremely valuable.

I could not find what I was looking for - a lightweight aluminum fat tubular rack that would not take up any more space from the bed than my low profile tool box was taking
.. Something I could use to stack 2x4x12s or a ladder or carry a 16 foot kayak on top of.
Something with support tubs angled in almost a racing like roll cage ... So I designed and fabricated my own.

I was planning to close the open tubes, but actually like the way it looks and have a very good use for that since a PVC coupler fits right in there nicely.. a the plug for custom bike rake that can take up 6 bikes
And as interface port for a custom truck bed camping/fishing/hunting tent (PVC frame) that will extend 4 feet further back than the end of the tail gate down. Hey.. somewhat homemade, but will
be extremely functional and easy to set up.

It's custom and unique... I've gotten compliments and stares.. I know some people don't like the astetics of it .. people seem to be interested in it as I get questions about who built it
.. I really like it and find it to be incredibly functional.

It's 1/8 inch 3 inch diameter tubular aluminum bolted to the bed rail lip in 4 spots with stainless steel pressure nuts.

The frpm cross bar is just a hair over the cab line so very aerodynamic and the back cross bar is slightly lower so that anything sitting on top is a good 3 inch above the front of the cab roof.
There are a bunch of drill holes under the cross tubes for easy strapping.

Lots of interesting angle cuts, grinding and welding work .. but aluminum is just the most beautiful material to work with. It's powder coated, but getting beat up badly anyways.
I know it's no real roll cage and that's okay.

Last edited by cyberpine; 04-11-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:33 AM

some more..

Old 06-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Power Wagon
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Silver