DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum Wax on, Wax off! Chat about anything that gives you Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow in here! ;)

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Thrivix is on a distinguished road
Talking Advice and Opinions needed!

Now that I have a vehicle that I actually care about in combination with money starting to get a bit tight I figure I might take it upon myself to learn how to actually do the maintenance on my vehicles, besides, you can't rely on a truck to get you out of the city during the zombie apocalypse if it's never been maintained properly lol . I bought the truck at 113500km (70500mi) and just rolled over the 115km mark today. I wasn't very bright in that I didn't get copies of the service records from the previous owners so I think that maybe starting fresh would be the way to go. I was thinking of switching over to a synthetic oil (seems mobil 1 is the most popular with proven results?). My regular driving habits are pretty bad in that particularly in the winter, my drive to work is only 10 minutes so the engine rarely gets up to operating temp, although I usually end up making some longer runs on the weekend or evenings and heard that switching to synthetic would help a little to offset and sludge or build up caused by the short trip syndrome.

I was also thinking about doing an old fashioned transmission flush, I've heard that it's not to late to do it? (assuming worst case scenario although I think it highly unlikely). Any advice? any particular brands of fluid? or just pick up whatever Napa has in stock that meets the service manual's recommendations?

Was also thinking that the differential fluid should be changed out, as with the tranny, any particular advice or recommendations on brands?

What's your guys general opinions on K&N drop in filters for those of you who have had them? I'm looking at a CAI at some point in time but for the mean time I thought I might try a drop in. My room mate had mentioned that the people who have issues with the oil from the filter winding up in the engine is due to over oiling and/or not letting them dry enough before use.

I'll take a look at the spark plugs but the guy had mentioned they had just been changed last service so they should look almost new lol.

Anything else you guys would recommend? I don't have access to jacks or a lift so is this all doable just being able to crawl under the truck stock with 17" tires? I'm not opposed to taking it into the shop I just thought I might be able to learn something and actually do something productive on Saturday haha.

P.S. Sorry for the small novel.
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

Hmmm a good drop in with a new tube imho is just as good as a 300$ cai so good start there. Tranny flushes are usually a good idea although I have never done one just heard good things about them. Some things id suggest if your a little shady on the trucks maintainence is seafoam the top end (through vac line off brake booster), pour another third in w/ the oil after less than 100 miles change the oil and dump the final third straight in the gas tank sea foam works wonders and its fun to see the white smoke bellow out.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

start with all new fluids as you mentioned, read the owners manual for fluid types & capacities
use a premium oil filter, Napa or Wix, K&N drop in air filter is good

using Sea Foam shortly before an oil change is good, as mentioned above
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I'll give the seafoam a try tonight, I've had a bottle of it kicking around but I had heard a couple of not so good things that judging by the sounds of it are primarily caused by adding in to much. I'm sure my neighbors will love me haha
Old 11-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Got around to doing some work today. Managed to spend a small fortune on fluids and small accessories. Put in a K&N air filter, so we'll see how that turns out. Also changed out the oil to Mobil 1 synthetic. I did a little more browsing around and on another site someone had listed the fluid capacities,

front diff 75w90 2 bottles (2 liters/quarts)
rear diff 75/140 2.25 or 2 w/ LS additive (which I don't have)
Transmission ATF+4 8qts (7.5lts) for a pan drop and 17qts (16lts) for a flush
Transfer case ATF+4 3 qts

I'll have to drop by and pick up a few more bottles of ATF to account for a flush as well as the transfer case and get a few bottles of the front diff fluid.

which leads me to my next question... Browsing around this forum I found a thread (sorry, can't locate it at the moment) which I believe Ramtech had mentioned that if you change the rear diff fluid you have to replace the front diff fluid otherwise you would/could blow your transfer case. Now I have no issues with changing the front fluid etc etc, I'm more curious as to why, and if the system is that fragile/ finicky then is it something that I who is an almost complete newb as far as automotive work is concerned wants to touch?