DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1993 250--1994 2500--2005 2500
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
MaxPower1971 is on a distinguished road

How 'bout your main body ground??? Is it solid and clean?? That could explain why it kills itself if the ground disconnected with the road vibration.

If the pcm resets itself, it either is not getting power all the time or it's failing.Try a friendly wrecker who will let you try a different one or buy one and if it's not the problem, wreckers usually take their stuff back with 15% restocking fees.

OR

On my Mom's Dynasty, the firewall had a rust spot right behind the pcm,, (pcm box aluminium, firewall steel: bad mix for rusting) causin' it to loose ground and reset all the time. We only realized this after we removed the original pcm. We (my bro and I) worked 3 solid weeks on that car to get her going, and spent a sh*tload of money in parts.

Wo I missed the part where you said it only does it in the morning....WEIRD!!!! But kinda reinforces my bad body ground diag. There must be some weird road pattern that shakes your ground loose.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I'd buy a fuel rail PSI gauge, and extend the hose to where you can stick the gauge under the windshield wiper. My 95 did as follows... road speed, right after going down a hill, eng would revert to hitting on only a coupla cylinders, throwing the trans in neutral was no help, it would start backfiring thru both the pipes and the intake manifold, eventually dying. Would eventually start back up, acting flooded, once cleared out, would run perfectly, say, til coming up to a stop light, then it was back to same ol, same ol. Since it acted both ignition like and fuel like, (backfires out of both ends once it was running bad, until dying, plus, acting like it was loaded up after giving it some time to rest, on restart,) I went very expensively, and methodically, thru everthing,cap, rotor, wires, coil, pickup coil (thanks, schoolboys, for putting the distributor in such a disgusting location, and using screws which are so attractive to corrosion) crank sensor, fuel filter, fuel sock on the pump ( lived to regret that, I was sooo close) 2 different ECUs Well, still, I had the most undependable vehicle of anyone I knew. I even changed the alternator, thinking it had glitches which were affecting the ECU. I had checked fuel pressure, and it was solid (at the curb..., while running OK) Well, I finally stuck the fuel press gauge under the wiper, 85 miles later, I had my answer, fluxing pressure, all the way to about 3 PSI. Paid a shop 700$ to change the flippin fuel pump... grief gone, that was 3 years ago. Seems when this eng starves for fuel, the ECU changes the ignition timing to compensate creating the backfires... What a learning experience that was...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:54 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie quad cab
Color: red
Rep:52
98redbull2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamintrashcan View Post
I'd buy a fuel rail PSI gauge, and extend the hose to where you can stick the gauge under the windshield wiper. My 95 did as follows... road speed, right after going down a hill, eng would revert to hitting on only a coupla cylinders, throwing the trans in neutral was no help, it would start backfiring thru both the pipes and the intake manifold, eventually dying. Would eventually start back up, acting flooded, once cleared out, would run perfectly, say, til coming up to a stop light, then it was back to same ol, same ol. Since it acted both ignition like and fuel like, (backfires out of both ends once it was running bad, until dying, plus, acting like it was loaded up after giving it some time to rest, on restart,) I went very expensively, and methodically, thru everthing,cap, rotor, wires, coil, pickup coil (thanks, schoolboys, for putting the distributor in such a disgusting location, and using screws which are so attractive to corrosion) crank sensor, fuel filter, fuel sock on the pump ( lived to regret that, I was sooo close) 2 different ECUs Well, still, I had the most undependable vehicle of anyone I knew. I even changed the alternator, thinking it had glitches which were affecting the ECU. I had checked fuel pressure, and it was solid (at the curb..., while running OK) Well, I finally stuck the fuel press gauge under the wiper, 85 miles later, I had my answer, fluxing pressure, all the way to about 3 PSI. Paid a shop 700$ to change the flippin fuel pump... grief gone, that was 3 years ago. Seems when this eng starves for fuel, the ECU changes the ignition timing to compensate creating the backfires... What a learning experience that was...
damn........ that would have drove me crazy. when my fuel pump went bad in my old truck it gave me signs of going bad once and the next morning it went totally out haha.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 1500
Rep:11
agrapha is on a distinguished road
Default Is this still a problem?

I'm not a professional mechanic. However, my neighbor is and after I had him check out my 1995 dodge ram 1500, he told me an interesting tidbit that may apply here.

I had a bad speed sensor. My mechanic highly recommended replacing both the speed sensor and the O2 sensor at the same time. The two sensors use a common ground so when my speed sensor failed it fails hot. Meaning the ground goes to +12v, and that, in turn, blows the O2 sensor.

I'm thinking perhaps when we put both sensors in I'll ask if we can just electrically separate the 2 grounds. I don't know if this is your case but a simple continuity check of both of those sensors might reveal a cause as well as a symptom.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie quad cab
Color: red
Rep:52
98redbull2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrapha View Post
I'm not a professional mechanic. However, my neighbor is and after I had him check out my 1995 dodge ram 1500, he told me an interesting tidbit that may apply here.

I had a bad speed sensor. My mechanic highly recommended replacing both the speed sensor and the O2 sensor at the same time. The two sensors use a common ground so when my speed sensor failed it fails hot. Meaning the ground goes to +12v, and that, in turn, blows the O2 sensor.

I'm thinking perhaps when we put both sensors in I'll ask if we can just electrically separate the 2 grounds. I don't know if this is your case but a simple continuity check of both of those sensors might reveal a cause as well as a symptom.
thats real good to know