DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Ram 5.9 V8 1500 Series
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Jon89 is on a distinguished road
Default Changing the Transmission Fluid on my 5.9

My 1999 Ram 1500-series 5.9 2-wheel-drive shortbed truck has just over 59,000 miles now. The transmission still has its factory fill of Chrysler ATF+3, the fluid is still pristine clean and red, and the transmission has remained bulletproof and still shifts like new. No shift problems at all.

Since the truck will be 12 years old come February, I'm thinking of changing the ATF as part of the 60,000-mile routine service that I'll do myself. There does not appear to be a drain plug on the transmission pan, so I presume I'll have to drop the pan and replace the gasket to change the fluid.

Having never done this before, here are my questions:

1. Once I drop the pan, approximately how many quarts of fluid will drain out if I let the truck sit overnight?

2. Other than a new pan gasket, do I need any other new parts? Is there a replaceable filter inside the pan?

3. Should I go with ATF+4? Or do they still make and sell ATF+3?

4. What tools do I need to remove the bolts holding the pan on?

5. Finally, are there any "gotchas" on this job that I need to be aware of?

Thanks for any and all advice. My other vehicles have transmission pan drain plugs, so I've never had to drop a pan before....
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1877
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

1. 5-6 quarts.

2. Your pan gasket may be reuseable. If so, it will say so on the pan or gasket itself.
There is one replaceable filter inside held in with two torx head screws (T-25 I think).

3. ATF+4 is all that's available and is compatible with ATF+3.

4. Just a 13mm or 1/2" socket, ratchet and extension.

5. It's pretty straight forward. Nothing in particular to be concerned with.

You might also want to consider having the entire system flushed with a machine that will get all the fluid out of the trans, lines, cooler and converter.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the quick response. I will print it and save it for when I perform the 60,000-mile service on my truck.

I have never trusted tranny flushes. Too many horror stories of dragging up settled debris through the valve bodies and creating problems that were not previously there. Even killing transmissions only a few hundred miles after a flush. I've always stuck with drain-and-fills. They've never let me down and never caused a problem. Much less risk than a flush....
Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I've never personally seen a trans flush cause any problems. It doesn't make sense to me that a flush would suck up debris because it's done through the cooler lines and the fluid being exchanged is already filtered and the it isn't stirred up any more than it is during normal operation. My bet is that those transmissions were already in the process of failing and the flush was a gamble on fixing the problem (I've seen this too many times to count). That being said, I do believe that the filter still needs regular changes even though there usually isn't much debris of any kind in them even after 100k miles. Either path you choose will be good for your transmission in the long run.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for your additional input on flushing vs. dropping the pan. I'm sticking with the good ol' drain-and-fill method and using a new gasket and filter kit. I don't think it's a good idea to re-use my nearly 12-year-old factory gasket. I only want to have to do this once....
Old 11-04-2010, 03:12 PM

If it has the gasket I'm thinking of, it's made to be reused. I advise against using any rubber or cork gasket that comes with a parts store filter kit since they tend to leak. If you need a new gasket, get it from the dealership.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The parts kit gasket I've seen at Advance Auto Parts is rubber. It is sold with a two-year warranty. Still think it would leak? Why?

Although my ATF+3 level is normal according to my dipstick, I wiped a small amount of ATF film (it was red) off the bottom of my transmission pan when I was under the truck a couple of weeks ago doing a brake job. I believe my factory pan gasket probably has a pinhole leak somewhere. Not enough to even drip on the driveway, but enough to make the underside of the pan greasy.

What is the dealer gasket made of? Is it metal that you automatically crush when you torque the bolts?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:57 PM

Vehicle: 2000 dodge ram 3500 4x4 qcdrw
Color: white
Rep:11
whi3500mag is on a distinguished road

these pans rust out trust me i had my trans. rebuilt and couple days after getting home i noticed a little puddle under my truck took it back to trans shop and he told me every trans he had replaced he had to follow up with a new pan on these dodges only cost me 50 bucks more for new pan and trans refill
Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that my pan may have rusted on the surface that crushes against the gasket, and that is why it may have developed a pinhole leak?
Old 11-06-2010, 01:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by whi3500mag View Post
these pans rust out trust me i had my trans. rebuilt and couple days after getting home i noticed a little puddle under my truck took it back to trans shop and he told me every trans he had replaced he had to follow up with a new pan on these dodges only cost me 50 bucks more for new pan and trans refill
If every one failed, why didn't he warn you when he did the job? I would have preferred to pony up the extra $50 and not had to come back.