DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
savage1912 is on a distinguished road
Default Bak Industries Roll-X Cover Fail!

I paid $800 plus for this cover and after 2 and a half years this is what it looks like now:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...V00&authuser=0

I called Bak Industries who has 2 and 3 year warranties on many products but only a 1 year on the Roll-X and this was their initial response.

Quote:
Nick,

I can’t replace the cover for you because you are out of warranty. What I can do is sell you a replacement cover at a discounted rate. Please let me know if you are ok with that.

Regards,

Frankie Soto
Warranty Manager
Bak Industries
720 Jessie Street
San Fernando, CA 91340
Office: (818) 365-9000
www.bakindustries.com
I was obviously not happy with this response which apparently was a 30% discount but after enough arguing and complaining they offered me 50% off which basically I took as we realized the product sucked and we made one a new one less bad but we still expect you to pay for our poor design and try this one at no cost to us.

The cover leaks like crazy and is very hard to close as you can see from this video. They sent me parts (with no diagram) to change out closing levers supposedly to help with the closing but does not address the vinyl coming unglued which causes the leaking

https://youtu.be/2bjO1Ad-XdQ

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting them to back their products any better than this?
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Copperhead
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:37
sbarron is on a distinguished road

I don't personally have this cover, but know several that do and they have no issues. From your pictures it doesn't look like this damage happened all at once. It looks more to me like a series of small issues, (i.e. dents in top rail) that weren't addressed and led to the failure you see now. It actually looks like damage caused by driving with the cover unsecured or the tailgate down causing it to flap excessively. Sorry, but I say this ones on you.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:50 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 sport
Color: BLACK
Rep:51
Nemmisis1 will become famous soon enough

go with retrax.... had it 3 years and its still looks new... but remember you get what you pay for.. i paid 900 ... but its shiny black matches my truck exactly and looks great .. new
Old 05-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarron View Post
I don't personally have this cover, but know several that do and they have no issues. From your pictures it doesn't look like this damage happened all at once. It looks more to me like a series of small issues, (i.e. dents in top rail) that weren't addressed and led to the failure you see now. It actually looks like damage caused by driving with the cover unsecured or the tailgate down causing it to flap excessively. Sorry, but I say this ones on you.
I didn't say it happened all at once. The vinyl has been pulling away over the last few weeks and is getting worse. There are NO dents anywhere in the top rail. I have no idea what you are looking at. I don't drive with the cover unsecured or tailgate open. If I leave the tailgate open I roll the cover up so I can see what I am hauling. The cover has been closed probably 98 percent of its life. I only open when I am hauling large items around town which is probably 1 a month on average. Every other day is closed. The small tears in the vinyl are right were the aluminum slats fold they bind and pinch the vinyl too tightly. This is how it is designed to fold.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmisis1 View Post
go with retrax.... had it 3 years and its still looks new... but remember you get what you pay for.. i paid 900 ... but its shiny black matches my truck exactly and looks great .. new
I liked the Roll-x Design because it rolled up on top of the bed and could easily be removed. Without tools. The retrax looks great but how much bed room do you lose? Does it come out easy?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Copperhead
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:37
sbarron is on a distinguished road

Wasn't trying to insult ya. I've had a Truxedo Lo-Pro on my truck for about 2-1/2 years now, still looks like new, but its not a rigid roller.

I'd have jumped all over 50% off after so long out of warrantee. Things like warrantees drive me nuts, it's the reason I pay a premium where I can, (like paying for Rigid LED's, specifically for the lifetime warrantee)..

Good luck getting either a replacement or a different cover. There's a lot of options out here.