DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
deerslayer1521 is on a distinguished road
Question 5.9 Engine Swap??

i have a 2003 ram 4x4 with the WEAK 4.7. it started leakin a little oil right after i bought it. no big deal i kept drivin it. the little leak became a BIG leak. the oil pan the valve covers just about everywhere oil could leak from. finally i pulled the engine to basically re seal everything. i removed the valve covers, the oil pan, and the timin cover and found a big surprise. it looked like somebody had taken a WHOLE entire box of black garbage bags and melted one box on the bottom end. one box behind the timin cover and another on both heads. its a BIG mess!! i priced everythin to rebuild this engine as well as a reman engine and have come to the conclusion i could swap in a 360 with more horsepower and more torque for as much or a little more than it would cost to fix the weak 4.7... anybody have any info. on this swap? or advice? anythin?
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Check out the salvage yards and see if they have a whole wrecked Ram with a Hemi in it. Get the whole thing and use it for a donor truck so you have all the parts needed to make the swap.

If you don't want to go up to the Hemi which by the way gets better hp, torque and mpg than the other motors, do the same with thing regarding the 360 you mentioned.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If you plan on keeping the 5.9 stock, the gains wouldn't be worth the effort.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I'd have to agree . To do the 5.9 conversion would be a real pain in the a** unless you have a donor truck . I like what RB said , If your gonna do a conversion , make it worth while . I would love to do a hemi conversion on my '01 .