DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: two toned Red and silve
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:60
5point9LARAMIE4X4 will become famous soon enough
Default My 1998 5.9L Engine rebuild

Hey people,

I'm just going to share my build with you guys as it comes along. I see what Michigan can do to a car (rusty everything). I already pulled my engine last week and tore it down to find both heads having cracks in between a couple of the valves. So I bought a donor engine from the 2000 5.2L, tore this engine down and Ta TA~ I'm back in business cause these heads were fine. Also taking some more parts than figured off the 5.2 like the A/C compressor, CPS and Bosch Alt and probably the fuel rail, I see the injectors are much smaller than mine so I'll be sticking with the original's.
My first head ache is the darn gear box, its leaking so I bought a rebuild kit for it. I'm sure the rebuild would be pretty easy BUT the pitman arm is a MOFO. I already broke 2 pitman arm pullers (used a C clamp to keep the arms true) and a couple of 3-jaw pullers. I already tried torching the Pit arm not a budge and I can not find a fork that will fit the in-between the shaft I believe the minimum opening needs to be 1 15/16" . I am just going to try and pop off the tie rod and go get the darn pitman arm pressed off. I took a few pics tried to keep this posted, it will be a pretty fast paced build but will do it right.
Oh, I ordered .040 over pistons/rings complete gasket kit, bearings, timming gears/chain, roller rocker cam/lifters, freeze plugs, boch water pump, new head bolts and I/M bolts. The block is getting decked/bored/honed, the heads are getting a clean mill along with a valve job, crank is being ploished. Can't think of anything else at this moment. Thanks for looking got any input lmk or any questions, again this is my first V8 build.

the truck

gutted

the donor

and the problem gear box

Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Good report and thanks for the pics. Looking forward to future progress reports.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 11-07-2010, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Might as well do a little cleaning up on the runners in the heads while they're apart. If a press wont take off the pitman, you may need to cut it off with a grinder and replace it. You might want to align hone the main journals or at least have them checked. Are you going any bigger on the cam?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
Good report and thanks for the pics. Looking forward to future progress reports.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Might as well do a little cleaning up on the runners in the heads while they're apart. If a press wont take off the pitman, you may need to cut it off with a grinder and replace it. You might want to align hone the main journals or at least have them checked. Are you going any bigger on the cam?
I'm not looking to squeeze a bunch of power out of this build, I have a couple cars that do that I'm sure a press will get it off but we shall see. Crank looked great so just polishing that and not going bigger on the cam cause I do not want to deal with tuning and flashing.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I've seen those cracks before in between the valves . That doesn't mean their trash . I've had heads pressure tested before for that issue and they have checked out fine . Oh well . At least you have a backup . Keep us updated on the progress .
Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Post rebuild of the gear box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
I've seen those cracks before in between the valves . That doesn't mean their trash . I've had heads pressure tested before for that issue and they have checked out fine . Oh well . At least you have a backup . Keep us updated on the progress .
Ya i bet there are some that might be ok, but judging by the rust around those valves that had the cracks shows me that they were leaking coolant, the people doing my machining can fix them so ya maybe I can have them fixed and port n polish them a bit myself or just sell them, we'll see.

and third times a charm went ahead and tried the 3rd pitman arm puller and a new 3lb sledge hammer and finally got the pit arm off~phew what a PITA.

here is how it looked when it came out:

started to do a bit of cleaning on it:

possibly might just replace the pitman arm seals because the stub shaft seals weren't the issue and on top of that I do not have the spanner wrench for it. But if I find one I can borrow I go ahead and dot those seals also.
my seal kit:
Old 11-07-2010, 10:07 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Nice job , not many people would attempt to reseal a steering box . Rep for ya .
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
Nice job , not many people would attempt to reseal a steering box . Rep for ya .
Thanks Toms, I tried to do as much as I can on my own before I buy anything new, the piston and the cylinder have a few lines that go down the bore not much to catch the finger nail but if possible I'd like to through a hone on it to try to clean it up and polish up the piston so seals don't run into an issue. I get at this tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Default gearbox finished

updates: Finished up the Gear box today and cleaned it up a bit more. You need special tools which I didn't have and I managed to get it done anyhow...

cleaned up the internals...

got the groves cleaned up also ready for new o-rings and teflon o-rings(heated in water to soften first)

put the ball circulation peice back in place (u shaped halves):

used a 7/16 deep socket to keep ball bearings centered in the piston spiral, also used a bigger socket to keep the extension/socket level inside:

socket inserted just enough to slide balls (12 dark/12 chrome=24 balls total) alternate colors upon insertion into the U chamber while keeping the 7/16" socket center so the balls circle around it evenly.

when you get to #17 the balls are a bit harder to push in with your finger while maintaining the socket, so I just used a flat tip that was slightly bent to push each ball down the U chamber, the balls should fill up the spiral portion between the U chamber.

now that they are in place make sure you keep a firm grip on the socket and extension or else your balls will bounce everywhere and good luck finding them..So you may want to do this over a box or something that can capture them in case it does slip.

Before you do anything with this piston make sure you have the worm gear and stub shaft completely assembled properly if not it could cause binding upon tightening the thrust plug/cap. I ended up replace all the seals the one on the stub shaft is pretty tedious it has the black o-ring goes on a mini looking piston, be careful to not crimp the o-ring it looks very easy to mess that up. So back to this part of the assembly: Insert the stub/worm gear into the casing, making sure its all together then slide in the piston while holding the socket extension so the balls stay put. Once you get the piston to mate with the worm gear begin turning the stub shaft clockwise while pushing the piston in...you can release some of the pressure on the socket extension but be sure you actually have a proper thread going on the worm gear to the spiral, continue to thread the worm gear into the piston until it completely push the socket out. Then your safe but make sure you do not reverse the worm gear or else you be repeating this again.

now that that's done you can center the piston in the middle and then go ahead and put in the bearing, upper, lower seals, washer and c clip onto the pitman shaft. Put a little bit of PS fluid on the shaft and you should be able to drop it down the casing aligned with the other piston gears. You might have to put some vice-scripts on the stub shaft to give you some free play to allow the shaft to slide down.

Last edited by 5point9LARAMIE4X4; 11-09-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Once this is complete it is pretty much cake the rest of the way out. I used this site to set the proper TQ and adjusted the nut.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/steeri...ear/Adjust.htm

I final cleaned it up:

tapped it up:

and then painted it up:

Couple of things I noticed when I disassembled this thing is that it was missing a dust cover/retainer for the stub shaft and also the second second bearing on the pitman arm was the last thing installed when it should of been (upper bearing/plastic washer, lower bearing metal washer then C clip. This is probably why it failed in the first place

My parts are almost here and hopefully machining is done shortly. Have a good one!