DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Trim Level: SLT
Color: SPARKLY WHITE
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:431
bransonshemi is just really nicebransonshemi is just really nicebransonshemi is just really nicebransonshemi is just really nicebransonshemi is just really nice
Default Adding to my lift

SO, i have a 6 inch fabtech lift on 35s, sooner or later i want to upgrade to a 8 inch on 37s, how would i get the extra 2 inches. (im not that smart on lift kit stuff) i know i can do a body lift but how much would that run to get installed?

If I CARED ABOUT GAS MILEAGE I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A KIA
Branson
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Briliant Black
Rep:463
BigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of light

I would do a 3" body lift.If you had someone install it for you I would think it would run about 300.00-500.00 for laybor.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 AM
erm

Body lift kits are cheap. One thing to watch for is whether or not you will have to replace your brake lines with an extended length set and other cable relocation items that may be needed.

I agree with ^^^ on cost of the basic install.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 1500 ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:45
mikescicutella516 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransonshemi View Post
SO, i have a 6 inch fabtech lift on 35s, sooner or later i want to upgrade to a 8 inch on 37s, how would i get the extra 2 inches. (im not that smart on lift kit stuff) i know i can do a body lift but how much would that run to get installed?

doing a 3" body lift is going to put you at a 9 inch lift and the better body lift that comes with gap guards for the wells is about $400 not installed

if your trying to run 37s ( 37-12.50) but dont wana do a body lift and wana try and keep it just suspension you can do rancho or bilstein shocks in the front , it will give you about 1 3/4 in the front. there about 300 or so not istalled

i just did this set up in my 06 1500 and have 37-13.50 toyo open country mts but i had to do minor trimming in the front with 12.50 i dont think you will have to trim at all

just an idea
Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Color: SPARKLY WHITE
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:431
bransonshemi is just really nicebransonshemi is just really nicebransonshemi is just really nicebransonshemi is just really nicebransonshemi is just really nice

so bilsteins and like 2 inch blocks in the rear?

If I CARED ABOUT GAS MILEAGE I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A KIA
Branson
Old 11-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransonshemi View Post
so bilsteins and like 2 inch blocks in the rear?
its going to depend , i belive you should have 3inch blocks in the rear now with your 6inch lift setup , the front goes up 6" the rear goes up 4" with a 3" block from my understanding.

so when i did this setup for my truck i bought bigger blocks but when i got the front end lifted more the truck sat normal , witch means my truck probally racked a little foward but i never saw it.

so i didnt do blocks in the rear i kept the regular ones and just used the shocks to lift the front a little more to clear the 37s , if you look now your fenders will have no problems in rear with bigger tires. so i dont think you really need blocks , but again your truck might sit a little diffrently then mine did.

have you thought about gears yet too ?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

If you have the Fabtech on your truck and it is an 07 I have the same one. In the rear you have a 2" block and an add-a-leaf that raised it another 2". If you want to add some more lift then be careful going higher with the suspension. I know with my lift it said not to go any higher since it will put the drive shafts on too big of angles. I guess if other guys have done it then you can try it but I would be careful.

The Bilsteins will raise the strut assembly up in the front to give you an extra 2". You can actually choose 3 different heights with the Bilsteins which are around .5" 1.5" and 2"-2.5". This would be an easy way to install a lift but like I said the drive shaft might be on too much of an angle. Another thing you will have to watch out for is the CV shafts. They will be on a major angle and when you put it in 4x4 your truck will shimmy and vibrate. My truck did that with the Bilsteins alone since the front diff stayed stock. Now since you have a lift which put the CVs on a little angle the Bilsteins will put it over the edge.

I have the same plans as you and I was going to go with a body lift to go higher. You have to choose the right body lift or else you will end up with gaps and you dont want that.
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 11-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

^^ i understand what your trying to say about the drive shaft angles but i legit just did it to my truck and the angle are very very little , when you do that lift in your truck it drops everything back down to stock. so now your truck is 6inches taller but the suspension and everything in the front sits the same as stock , when you do a leveling kit it puts the drive shafts at an angle

so in theory doing these shocks or putting a spacer under the coils in the front of your life makes it just like having a leveling kit so , yes you have a bit of an angle but its very little

and you were right i forgot i have an add a leaf and a 2inch block in the rear of mine , the fabtech and procomp lifts are pretty identical from what i have seen

just another option on top of doing a body lift , i did those shocks in the front and superlift remote reservoirs in the rear and my truck is riding about 50 times better then it did before with the stock coils and shocks
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:463
SUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of light

If you want to raise the front an extra 2" i would do the bilstein 5100's. I would hold off on doing the rear until you get the new front bilsteins installed. I personally like the rear down (raked or cali look). It's a shame that your truck is an 07 because if it were a 02-05 you could run cst upper a arms with pro joints to eliminate steep ball joint angles and no lose any down travel. (putting a larger shock onto your kit will make you lose suspension travel in your particular application) But since height is what you want then it is the price you must pay. If you keep it on the road it shouldn't be a problem. Plus bilstein shocks ride GREAT. Be sure to make sure you have your wheel backspacing figured out. If you go with too wide of a wheel you will rub.