DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
CallMeClay is on a distinguished road
Unhappy ESP/BAS Light On n' Off and RPMS Drop ???

First off I want to say hello because this is my first post here and I hope Im posting this in the right area, if not could the mods please move it for me? This is my first truck so I decided to make it a Ram and this forum seems to have a pretty good community going so I thought I could ask here for some input.

I found this great Ram last Monday at a local dealership so I decided to go check it out. Once I got there, the truck wouldnt start. Every thing would come on electric wise, but the truck wouldnt even try to turn over. So they sent it to a Dodge dealership down the street to fix it. They said it was a relay, replaced it and all was well.

I went Saturday to test drive and fell in love so I drove it off the lot. Rest of the day and night it was fine. But Sunday morning, same problem as at the dealership. Wouldnt do anything. I messed with it for a couple hours just checking plugs and making sure all fuses were pluged in all the way. After that, it fired up and the rest of the day was fine.

Now driving it to work this morning, the ESP/BAS light will flash on while the RPM's drop and the traction control light comes on but then almost immediedtly goes back to normal. It did this countless times on the way to work but never once died on me.

My question is, does anyone have any idea what this could be? Is this a common problems in the HEMIs or '09 models?

Any and all feedback would be great and thanks ahead.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 AM
erm

That is not common. It sounds like a PCM failure or possibly a transmission control module failure. I'd have the codes read by the dealer.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Could be a module failure, wiring problem, or a data bus problem.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hey guys thanks alot for the fast responses.

I meant to add this to the original post but couldnt find the paper I wrote the codes down on.

My pops has a handheld code reader and we hooked it up when the truck was messing up and it gave us 9 codes but a few it repeated. I looked them up online and here they are minus the repeats

U110C - no fuel level bus message
U0141 - lost communication with front control module
U1403 - Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received
U110E - lost Ambient temperture message
U1110 - lost vehicle speed message
Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Need to know which modules logged the codes and the repeated codes and which modules logged them. You really need to take it to the dealer and let them deal with the problem. Do NOT erase any of the codes.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks RamTech, Ill probably just take it to a dealer after work. I cant remember which it repeated but I know for sure it repeated U110c & U0141

How much do you think a dealership would charge me to do that? I would take it back to the dealership I bought it from but its a Chevy delership and when they "took care of the problem" before I bought the truck it took them three days and I dont want to wait that long.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM

If the truck is within the 3/36k warranty period, it shouldn't cost you anything.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 ram
Color: Deep water blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Bluesport is on a distinguished road

This may sound crazy but my 10 did the exact same thing and it was the brake light switch dealer fixed it n that's what they said
Old 11-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

With messages like "lost communication with front control module", "Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received" and "lost vehicle speed message" as well as the symptoms concerning the ESP/BAS light it sure sounds like a communication problem on the CAN bus. I would do as RAMTech suggested and have it checked out by the dealer. Hopefully it is still under warranty.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 2WD
Trim Level: slt- lonestar
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
BULLRAM will become famous soon enough

I would be willing to bet it is the PCM,mine and 2 other buddies did that, I had 5 codes by the time i went to the dealer, they swapped it out, and been good ever since. 1 year later