DODGE RAM FORUM banner

ESP/BAS Light On n' Off and RPMS Drop ???

10K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  CallMeClay 
#1 ·
First off I want to say :wavey: hello because this is my first post here and I hope Im posting this in the right area, if not could the mods please move it for me? This is my first truck so I decided to make it a Ram and this forum seems to have a pretty good community going so I thought I could ask here for some input.

I found this great Ram last Monday at a local dealership so I decided to go check it out. Once I got there, the truck wouldnt start. Every thing would come on electric wise, but the truck wouldnt even try to turn over. So they sent it to a Dodge dealership down the street to fix it. They said it was a relay, replaced it and all was well.

I went Saturday to test drive and fell in love so I drove it off the lot. Rest of the day and night it was fine. But Sunday morning, same problem as at the dealership. Wouldnt do anything. I messed with it for a couple hours just checking plugs and making sure all fuses were pluged in all the way. After that, it fired up and the rest of the day was fine.

Now driving it to work this morning, the ESP/BAS light will flash on while the RPM's drop and the traction control light comes on but then almost immediedtly goes back to normal. It did this countless times on the way to work but never once died on me.

My question is, does anyone have any idea what this could be? Is this a common problems in the HEMIs or '09 models?

Any and all feedback would be great and thanks ahead.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey guys thanks alot for the fast responses.

I meant to add this to the original post but couldnt find the paper I wrote the codes down on.

My pops has a handheld code reader and we hooked it up when the truck was messing up and it gave us 9 codes but a few it repeated. I looked them up online and here they are minus the repeats

U110C - no fuel level bus message
U0141 - lost communication with front control module
U1403 - Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received
U110E - lost Ambient temperture message
U1110 - lost vehicle speed message

#6 ·
Thanks RamTech, Ill probably just take it to a dealer after work. I cant remember which it repeated but I know for sure it repeated U110c & U0141

How much do you think a dealership would charge me to do that? I would take it back to the dealership I bought it from but its a Chevy delership and when they "took care of the problem" before I bought the truck it took them three days and I dont want to wait that long.

#9 ·
With messages like "lost communication with front control module", "Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received" and "lost vehicle speed message" as well as the symptoms concerning the ESP/BAS light it sure sounds like a communication problem on the CAN bus. I would do as RAMTech suggested and have it checked out by the dealer. Hopefully it is still under warranty.

#11 ·
Hey guys thanks alot for all the responses and feed back!

Well I called the local Dodge dealership and he said I would have to leave the truck there over night to run diagnostics but I wouldnt have a loner so that was a no go. I called the dealership I bought it from because they supposedly fixed the problem before I bought the truck and they want me to bring it in tomorrow and they claim they'll take care of it.:i_rolleyes:

I drove home yesterday after work with it only doing it once then nothing. But driving to work this morning was horrible! It did it over and over and over again. It really trips me out because the truck doesnt seem to be phased by it, it has yet to die because of all this. I also noticed its only on the freeway that it does this. Just cruising around its just fine but once I hit the entrance ramp its starts acting up.

Is this something I could do myself or is a dealer needed for this? The dealership I bought it from is just so far its a pain to go all the way back if I can do it myself.

With messages like "lost communication with front control module", "Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received" and "lost vehicle speed message" as well as the symptoms concerning the ESP/BAS light it sure sounds like a communication problem on the CAN bus. I would do as RAMTech suggested and have it checked out by the dealer. Hopefully it is still under warranty.
Unfortunatly this truck is just out of warranty :( but like I said, the dealership I got it from is going to fix it or they are getting thier truck back. Is this something I cold do myself?

This may sound crazy but my 10 did the exact same thing and it was the brake light switch dealer fixed it n that's what they said
Yours did all of this too? Do you know where the switch is located?

#13 · (Edited)
Oh ok thanks RamTech! I hope they fix this crap cause even with all the problems, I still love this truck :( haha

I cant find a PCM for a '09 online anywhere. Guess the dealer will have to deal with it. Ill update when I find out whats going on.

#14 · (Edited)
The PCM is kinda costly, and it needs to be set for your truck,the PCM is responsible for the emissions also, i would think it is covered, call and ask what the warranty is for the PCM
B. Parts Covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles
If your truck has one of the following parts, this
Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a
period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first,
calculated from the start date of the Basic Limited
Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1(E). The covered parts
are:
• catalytic converter; and
• powertrain control module.

#15 ·
The PCM is kinda costly, and it needs to be set for your truck,the PCM is responsible for the emissions also, i would think it is covered, call and ask what the warranty is for the PCM
B. Parts Covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles
If your truck has one of the following parts, this
Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a
period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first,
calculated from the start date of the Basic Limited
Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1(E). The covered parts
are:
• catalytic converter; and
• powertrain control module.
Hey thanks for the info, I had no idea about that! I mentioned that to the dealer when I took her in yesterday...they gave me a chevy to drive until shes fixed:4-angermax:

Ill be sure to post about what was wrong when I get her back. Thanks again everyone for all the feedback

#16 ·
OKAY! So I got a call this morning from the dealership saying my truck was ready. I went up and got her and all seems great! They even threw in a free spray-in bedliner for all the crap I had to go through :) It took a couple extra days because I told them to go ahead and do the extras I added on when I bought the truck which was some exterior clear coat crap on the body and windows as well as some protective stuff to the interior. She looks really beautiful now. I will take pictures tomorrow when the sun is up.

So they said it was some loose connections within the fuse box itself. It kinda makes sense because all I had to do was mess with it a little to get the truck up and running but they replaced the whole thing and it seems perfect....for now. Keep your fingers crossed for me plz

Anyways, thanks alot guys for all your input on this matter. I was really uneasy during all this but knowing this community is around makes me feel more comfortable just incase something comes up again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.