DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 94 2500 V10
Color: green
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:28
E.M.S. is on a distinguished road
Default oil pressure....

i bought a 94 ram 2500 with the 8.0 v10. drove it about 100 miles and found some transmission issues so i made plans to bring it to the tranny shop. mind you there were no other issues that i wasn't already aware of, the truck sat for over a year so i had some things to replace... we'll get to that in another thread.

the engine runs like a bull, smooth as can be with TONS of power when i want it.

well, on my way to the shop on thursday, only about 3 miles away, i noticed that the oil pressure gauge was bouncing all over the place. i stopped and checked the oil and it was clean, yellow and full.

i asked the shop to take a look and they said they could find nothing wrong and the oil looked fine, full and had no issues on their test drive.

I picked up the truck today and right away noticed the same thing as before, the pressure seems to move up with the throttle (as it should) and then starts to bounce, sometimes it drops to 0 and stays there for a few seconds or minutes, this happens at idle as well as when driving on the highway with the cruise control on. at one point it happend for i am assuming about 2 minutes until i could find a suitable place to pull over and lift the hood. when i lifted the hood, everything sounded fine, no knocking, the engine never lost power, never hesitated, and didn't seem to be overly warm when i lifted the hood. i checked the oil and it seems fine still. if i was causing some damage one would think that it would be harder to start the next time around but it starts right up and purrs like a kitten.

my questions are...is there a known issue with these pressure switches? and if so is this a normal symptom of a switch failing? could this be caused by a pretty substantial leak that i have in the oil pan gasket that would be changing the pressure in the system? to the best of my knowledge these engines have a mechanical oil pump, so i'm assuming that the pump is pumping. i am fixing the leak tomorrow, i have dumped a ton of $$$ in a short time trying to get this truck ready for plow season and don't want to replace a switch if there is something i can check to make sure that the switch is the problem or rule out the problem. i keep the level up on the oil despite the leak.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Welcome to the Z. Since you're changing the oil pan gasket, check out the pump and pan real good while you're at it.

The fluctuation you mention is common with a sensor/sending unit going out but could also be something in the oil pan is getting sucked up into the pump.

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 PM

thanks, this is exactly what i was looking for and exactly what i thought might be the issue.

i know how to post pictures but it's dark out and i don't have any good pictures of the truck right now. it's a work truck with some cosmetic abuse, ha ha ha. paint peeling on the hood and tops of front fenders, doors have been "worked over" by someone who was practicing with bodywork.

another quick question, the oil pan looks very close to the crossmember under the engine. is there a secret to being able to remove the pan? will it come out without lifting the engine up? i have done this job before on several other vehicles. any surprises that i'm in for on this one? i don't have a garage at the house i currently live in so it has to be done outside.

thanks again for the quick reply. and i didn't realize that this was the engine mods forum, my bad.

Last edited by E.M.S.; 11-08-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

With my Dakota and the oil gague was never correct but tested the pressures manually and when I talked to one of my local mechanics who a Mopar nut (he owns multiple Rams Dakotas and Ramchargers) and he told me not to worry about dodges from the 90's and some other years have a habit of not reading the oil pressure right but everything being a ok, check the pressure manually before ya throw any parts at it
Old 12-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 Gas
Trim Level: Sport
Color: RED
Rep:10
kremera is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am having the same problem did you find the solution,
1999 v10
Old 12-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremera View Post
Hi,
I am having the same problem did you find the solution,
1999 v10
Might I suggest you start your own thread on the question? Someone clicking on this old thread might not answer since its aged.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 12-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I'd recommend to ya also to install a mechanical guage first and see what your oil pressure is really doin .
Old 12-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 Gas
Trim Level: Sport
Color: RED
Rep:10
kremera is on a distinguished road

I checked the curb pressure it is at 12psi then at 57psi at 3000rpm, I have replaced the pressure sending unit it did not fix the problem. I have a 1999 V10 gas 2500 with 87k, oil is synthetic, no odd sounds, no leaks that I have noticed.
I will be driving down the road and the oil pressure will just drop out!
Is it a bad gauge, any ideas would be awesome!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM

one of the mechanics at the transmission shop suggested that since the engine was running perfectly and smooth and quiet that there may be a build up of gunk at the sensor and it would be showing strange readings without actually being a problem. well wouldn't you know it, i removed the pressure sensor and it looked like hell with some visible build up on the actual sensor surface. i cleaned it the best i could then changed the oil again after a long warm up and highway drive and the oil looked like absolute garbage.
it must have been cleaning up all the old, (sitting around for a year and change) build up inside the oil passages. the truck still runs great and the oil pressure issue disapeared that same day. never replaced a thing other than the oil.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I would continue to do oil changes before their due to help get the garbage out of the system . You just don't know how it was taken care of previously .