DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

I drove from FL to CA and then back to VA this summer and found that 68+/- mph is the sweet spot. Cruise control set to 68 with AC running I could get 19-21 depending on winds and hills. This was when I had my 3.55s. 4.10s have only been in 3 days so no comparisons yet.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

A lot of the guys that take MDS off have exhausts on their trucks. The MDS causes a drone in the exhaust which makes it sound like crap. You can find an exhaust that will work with the MDS and it wont sound like that but most dont have that luxury. I took the MDS off of my truck and I did not notice a loss in MPG but a better sound in the exhaust
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 5.7L
Trim Level: ST
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:16
Patriotblue07 is on a distinguished road

I have an MBRP cat back system and with MDS its sounds atrocious on the highway when it kicks in. The drone is enough for me to want to go back to stock. Worst mod I ever made. Now I know I can shut it off with a powerchip or Diablo but I should have just stayed stock in the first place and saved the $$.

I should say that any other time without MDS the system sounds good, if not loud but I work 3rd shift and I can't idle my truck in the driveway with the remote start without being an a$$hole to the neighbors.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I kept my Ram stock underneath except the muffler
i don't hear any drone, that is all that annoying
the MDS kicks out so quickly that you get almost instant response when you put your foot into it, that you don't know that it was in 4 cylinders & just clicked up to 8 cylinders
i'll keep my MDS, thank you very much
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotblue07 View Post
I have an MBRP cat back system and with MDS its sounds atrocious on the highway when it kicks in. The drone is enough for me to want to go back to stock. Worst mod I ever made. Now I know I can shut it off with a powerchip or Diablo but I should have just stayed stock in the first place and saved the $$.

I should say that any other time without MDS the system sounds good, if not loud but I work 3rd shift and I can't idle my truck in the driveway with the remote start without being an a$$hole to the neighbors.
many members here have reported that leaving the stock resonators on with an aftermarket muffler eliminates the drone.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Express
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
blakern is on a distinguished road

13mpg with 4cyl, 13mpg with 8cyl. The choice was simple for me. Never seen 21mpg, best was 16mpg, maybe mines just not broken in yet at only 35k? haha.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrieldy View Post
many members here have reported that leaving the stock resonators on with an aftermarket muffler eliminates the drone.
I wouldn't say it eliminates the drone. But it does tone it down a bit.

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

O2 buster , stop by the newbie section and get your official welcoming . Don't be a stranger . It would be great also if you could go to the User Cp at the top of the page and complete your profile for us . Thanks . Tom
Old 11-22-2010, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:567
HerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to all

I love the MDS especially on long trips...I appreciate the better gas mileage. I bought my RAM not only because of the incredible price, but also because it does get better gas mileage than most of the other pick-ups out there...so I think when I do the exhaust...that 'drone' will be the sound of money staying in my pocket that I don't have to spend on gas LOL besides...it clicks over to 8 cyls so fast..the person I am passing wouldn't even know...and if they do...oh well not their truck...it's mine
PINK FUZZY DICE!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: QC Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
BBRam is on a distinguished road

I kept my Magnum's exhaust stock because of all the mds drone complaints. I never heard mds kicking in or out, and I seldom felt it. My Ram however, has the factory dual tails which helps to make the mds painfully obvious, especially at lower speeds. So much so, that around town I just drive with the trans in 5. On the highway I leave it in auto and while I can tell when mds engages and disengages, its much less annoying.