DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
monster406s10 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear tires chopping/wearing funny

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD standard cab, short box. I've noticed sense I bought the truck that the rear tires wear a lot faster than the front ones do and I don't do any burnouts with the truck. I felt the tires yesterday and they're chopping on the outside edges like the aren't aligned right but I know that solid rear axles cannot be aligned so i'm completely confused. Has anybody had this problem?
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

How often to you rotate them?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:15 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

While it could be a rotation issue, the rears should last longer than the fronts.

Here's a couple things to check;

Have a buddy follow you at a reasonable distance and not if the truck is tracking sideways, which is also called "doglegging". It doesn't take but a small increment of that to cause the rear tires to sand the tread off while trying to push the truck forward.
The cure is to have the rear end aligned and may require it to be a frame amachine because your frame might be tweaked. I understand I'm making an assumption here.
They will also check to make sure your axle is triangulated and is equadistant from a point of reference (like the front spring eye bolts).
You can even measure it yourself. Things might have shifted if something got loose. Again it doesn't take much for a crosswear pattern to develop which means the tires look like they're being sanded down.
Damaged rims or axle housings could aslo contribute.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 11-16-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you Okiespaniels for your reply. Do you know of any website that would show the measurements that the rear axle should be aligned to?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

another way to check to see if the rear end is out of whack, is to find a dirt area, point your truck straight ahead & drive slowly into the dirt, measure the tread width that your front tires made, then measure where both your front & rear tires made a track. If your tires are all the same width, the tire marks in the dirt should tell the tale.
its an old trick that we used on the farm, mostly to see how a trailer tracked
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster406s10 View Post
Thank you Okiespaniels for your reply. Do you know of any website that would show the measurements that the rear axle should be aligned to?
I don't. But I would mark a chalk line on your fron spring hanger parallel to your front mount bolts and measure back to the housing. Any point on the housing in line with the bolt will do as long as both sides are measured from the same point of refererence. So you have to be accurate. Now if you use a tape neasure, you could butt it up to the axle tube. Don't be afraid to measure more than once to make sure you're accurate.

I would think if you had a 4 wheel alingment rack, you could check it on that. It would show the rear axle caster being off because one tire would be ahead of the other.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 11-17-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

What your talking about is thrust angle . That is not a tire wearing factor on a solid axle vehicle . There is no adjustment method . It just quarantees you a level steering wheel . I have set up alignment machines on a solid rear axle and shifted the axle around on the spring to correct a bad thrust angle measurment . What brand of tires are you running by the way ?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
What your talking about is thrust angle . That is not a tire wearing factor on a solid axle vehicle . There is no adjustment method . It just quarantees you a level steering wheel . I have set up alignment machines on a solid rear axle and shifted the axle around on the spring to correct a bad thrust angle measurment . What brand of tires are you running by the way ?
When we first started noticing that the rear tires wore a lot faster than the front it had Pirelli Scorpion tires on it. My dad had bought 4 of these tires brand new and the right rear was worn to the point where it looked like a slick before the others had even gotten to half worn. We've been putting junk yard tires on it sense because we know if we spend $400-$500 on tires they will be worn out within a year. I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my first post but the tires have been wearing funny like this sense we bought the truck and it only had like 60,000 miles on it when we bought it, now it has around 160,000 miles on it.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:24 PM

Monster... even though this link is about semi tractors, the information is also pertanent to any solid axle vehicle.

http://dnr.louisiana.gov/sec/execdiv...diesel/g/g.htm

Since you bought the truck used, mabe it was wrecked or someone tried to tow or pull something with the rear axle.
Although this truck is not a Dodge, and was wrecked the information might help.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...e/26140/page1/

Myself, I had to deal with this on an old '74 Roadrunner I bracket raced. I'd a bunch of rear end swapping and spring moving, and didn't seem to get the oomph I though I'd should. Then the ex tells me "The d**** car goes down the road crooked! Nice job!"
So a buddy and I using string, tape measure and some chalk soon determined my rear axle was laterally crooked under the car. I was able to build some shims that centered the axle under that car and not only did it get rid of the doglegging, but dropped my et almost 2 tenths and I picked up almost 4 mph.
I don't know why, but I don't recall that changing the steering wheel...although it makes sense.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 11-18-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiespaniels View Post
Monster... even though this link is about semi tractors, the information is also pertanent to any solid axle vehicle.

http://dnr.louisiana.gov/sec/execdiv...diesel/g/g.htm

Since you bought the truck used, mabe it was wrecked or someone tried to tow or pull something with the rear axle.
Although this truck is not a Dodge, and was wrecked the information might help.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...e/26140/page1/

Myself, I had to deal with this on an old '74 Roadrunner I bracket raced. I'd a bunch of rear end swapping and spring moving, and didn't seem to get the oomph I though I'd should. Then the ex tells me "The d**** car goes down the road crooked! Nice job!"
So a buddy and I using string, tape measure and some chalk soon determined my rear axle was laterally crooked under the car. I was able to build some shims that centered the axle under that car and not only did it get rid of the doglegging, but dropped my et almost 2 tenths and I picked up almost 4 mph.
I don't know why, but I don't recall that changing the steering wheel...although it makes sense.
Thank you for the reply and links. That's funny you mention bracket racing, I bracket race an 82 Chevy S-10 that runs 7.50's in the 1/8th mile at about 91 mph. What was your Roadrunner running for times?