DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 1500 hemi
Trim Level: 2wd st
Color: gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
jethead7200 is on a distinguished road
Default my hemi has problems!!!!!! please help

hello everyone,
ill start off by saying i have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi, about a month ago i noticed that my truck was having problems making power, but only when it was cold, i would drive about 30 mph and push the gas down and it would bogg down and not go any faster, when it warmed up no problems, well this lasted a week and then it would get worse, at stop signs/lights it would fluctuate the RPM's and die, but always start right back up but it would hesitate from a stop when i push the gas down, i have some what of an extensive backround with cars, knowing this i cleaned the throttle body (witch had some oil in it) PCV valve, and even changed the EGR valve, reset the comp, ran perfect for 2 days and the problem came back, my next thought was the MAP sensor, any suggestions woulb be great, i just dont know why after resetting the comp everytime it would run perfect, but only for a day or so of short trips, oh yea by the way i have never gotten a CEL with any of this!!!!!!
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Have you verified that by checking for codes anyway . It could be a fuel pressure issue .
Old 11-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

it may be that you need to replace the plenum gasket, also called the intake manifold gasket
Hopefully someone will help you better than i can

if you see oil or water sitting on top of your engine, that is a symptom

Intake manifold leak symptoms

Intake manifold leak symptoms are pretty obvious. If there is a leak in the coolant passages, water or steam will leak out and should be visible either when the engine is idling, or with a puddle that forms when the engine is parked. Take a look underneath when you park the car if in doubt. Other intake manifold leak symptoms include a lowering of the water level in the top tank. If that keeps falling you have a leak somewhere. At least a leak in the manifold is better than a leak in the cylinder head much cheaper to replace.

You can use a vacuum gauge to check the manifold pressure, but an easier way of finding a leak is to get a small propane gas cylinder from a hardware store, and get the engine running. Then you squirt a little gas along the edge of the manifold joint. When you find the leak, the gas will go in through it, and the engine speed will rise, and then be smoother. Now you know where the leak is. Then, you will need to remove the manifold, first draining the coolant system, to correct the problem.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 1500 hemi
Trim Level: 2wd st
Color: gray
Rep:10
jethead7200 is on a distinguished road

thanks man thats alot of good info that gasket had crossed my mind but the truck only has 55000 miles on it so i didnt think it could b bad, i also noticed some water comming from the tail pipe as well, and the coolant level is low also, what about the fact that resetting my comp makes it run perfect durning the relearning process.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Welcome to the Z.

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 Big Horn----
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Pearl White
Rep:28
M109R is on a distinguished road

I'm not at all saying my issue was EXACTLY the same, but I too was having issues getting my truck to move and it too would die at stop signs. My issue...again...MY issue was my trans. filter and fluid. I have a 2006 Ram that I bought with 39,000miles and now have 65,000 when I had the issue. Changed my trans. filter and fluid....issue fixed. There again, that was MY issue. Good Luck!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Jethead7200,
Water out of your tailpipe may not have anything to do with your problem
in a good running vehicle, your catalytic converter will put out water drops, sometimes as much as what seems to be 1/4 cup of water
this is what happens
Hot exhaust gases exit your engine and head through your exhaust to the catalytic converter. Inside this expanded tube is a massive network or honeycomb of ceramics. This ceramic checkpoint has been coated with compounds that react with the exhaust to eliminate certain harmful emissions. Even though the exhaust is flying through the tube at high velocity, the molecules that coat the ceramics are able to react in milliseconds, hanging on to the bad stuff until it's converted to something harmless (or less harmful) like Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide or water vapor.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle