DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:45
Tex1989 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie - 4.7L Performance???

Hey I'm new to this whole thing! I'm hoping I could get some help I'm a first time dodge owner I just bought a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab St pkg with the 4.7 L V8 flex fuel does anyone know if there are any performance parts for this motor?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Color: silver/chrome
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:101
sobercrew will become famous soon enoughsobercrew will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to sobercrew Send a message via Skype™ to sobercrew

the big 3 my friend intake, exhaust and programmer that is a good start for ya and welcome to the z do you have any pics of your truck we would love to see it

NEW SIG PIC YAY
Old 12-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

If you start looking at programmers I'd suggest looking carefully to make sure they work with the "flex-fuel" thing. Some may be gas only.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
jtjohns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
If you start looking at programmers I'd suggest looking carefully to make sure they work with the "flex-fuel" thing. Some may be gas only.

Good idea, I never thought about this and I'm looking to buy a programer. I only use gas, but it would still be good to know.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:45
Tex1989 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info
Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: EXPRESS QUAD CAB
Color: BRIGHT SILVER
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
BigOrange is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the '08+ 4.7 will wake up a bit with an intake & exhaust......I have yet to experience a tuner, but I've read they make the most performance with a 93 octane tune. I'll also throw in the good old Y-Pipe mod to free up a bit more flow.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
Yeah, the '08+ 4.7 will wake up a bit with an intake & exhaust......I have yet to experience a tuner, but I've read they make the most performance with a 93 octane tune. I'll also throw in the good old Y-Pipe mod to free up a bit more flow.

Thanks, I'm still doing some research on what to do abou the exhaust. I went to the shop and he says all we can do for these trucks is a catback. Is this true?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Is the only difference between the Flashpaq and Cortex the warranty? Is this warranty really necessary?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST Crew Cab
Color: Deepwater Blue
Chinchilla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjohns View Post
Is the only difference between the Flashpaq and Cortex the warranty? Is this warranty really necessary?
The cortex seems to get better customer service, and the powertrain warranty is nice too, but will they honor it or pay dumb and say it was something else like Chrysler likes to do... I have the Cortex now, but am selling it. The woman says it jerks the truck when she gets on it(I know, the transmission program is outstanding on this model ). In any case the Cortex seems better just due to the capabilities. Just rememeber they advertise being able to use the Cortex on two vehicles. THis is NOT true with Chrysler vehicles. Something about the vehicle code being too long or some BS. Other than that, this programmer is great with options.

As far as the Diablosport, I've heard nothing but outstanding reviews about it. Sounds like a phenominal product.

When you change the exhaust, try to get a shop to fab a smoother y-pipe for you. Shouldn't cost much, but your truck will breather better in the long run.

As for a CAI, don't bother unless you only mod the intake flex tube. Your truck has a true CAI installed, and even then the $300-400 kits are only seeing around 7-10hp increase, and a bit of a drop in torque. Save that 400 and put it toward some 4.11 gears. My guess is that you have the 3.55's right now, and with the final ratio on our tranny's your launch must suck too.

Good luck with that 4.7liter. She's no slouch!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla View Post
The cortex seems to get better customer service, and the powertrain warranty is nice too, but will they honor it or pay dumb and say it was something else like Chrysler likes to do... I have the Cortex now, but am selling it. The woman says it jerks the truck when she gets on it(I know, the transmission program is outstanding on this model ). In any case the Cortex seems better just due to the capabilities. Just rememeber they advertise being able to use the Cortex on two vehicles. THis is NOT true with Chrysler vehicles. Something about the vehicle code being too long or some BS. Other than that, this programmer is great with options.

As far as the Diablosport, I've heard nothing but outstanding reviews about it. Sounds like a phenominal product.

When you change the exhaust, try to get a shop to fab a smoother y-pipe for you. Shouldn't cost much, but your truck will breather better in the long run.

As for a CAI, don't bother unless you only mod the intake flex tube. Your truck has a true CAI installed, and even then the $300-400 kits are only seeing around 7-10hp increase, and a bit of a drop in torque. Save that 400 and put it toward some 4.11 gears. My guess is that you have the 3.55's right now, and with the final ratio on our tranny's your launch must suck too.

Good luck with that 4.7liter. She's no slouch!

Thanks for all the info. So I take because I have a 2wd, the cortex is not the chip for me and I should be leaning more towards the Bully? I should be taking my truck in for the exhaust shortly and I'll ask them about the Y-pipe as well. How much does gearing cost and is that something I should be able to get done at any shop?