DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
partymn is on a distinguished road
Default 45RFE sensors and rear gear change

Ok, so I know that these transmissions have Input Speed, Output Speed, and Vehicle Speed Sensors to monitor your transmission and vehicle speed. What I don't know is how they all work together or how they are going to react to a gear change? When I changed the tires and rims on my truck from 265/70 R17 to 305/55 R20 that the transmission started searching for the correct gear a lot more and that the overdrive has a hard time staying engaged under mild acceleration or even cruising down the highway. Off, On, Off, On, Off, On, its is actually really irritating and put the hurt on my gas mileage. Now I am planning on changing my rear end gears from the stock 3.55 to 4.10 or 4.56 to make up for the heavier/ taller tires and the under powered engine in the truck. After I do this the truck should be running at 2022 RPM or 2249 RPM @ 65 MPH on the highway in overdrive depending on what gear I install. If my tranny is going to keep wandering back and forth like a fat chick at an all you can eat buffet then what's the point in changing gears? Common sense tells me that a gear change is going to take a lot of strain off of the engine and transmission and that the shifts should not come as often and the truck should stay in overdrive and locked up while going down the highway. Now if my common sense is completely incorrect can someone please set me straight? I don't want to go to the expense and trouble of changing gears if I am still going to be having the problems that I am having now. Are the sensors for the transmission going to adjust the shifts accordingly for the gear change or am I going to have to spend another $300 for a tuner?
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2010, 11:14 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

If you're gonna do a gear swap, then once they're in, get it to the dealership for them to flash the TCM with the new gear ratio. I believe you can also have a gear shop do a custom tune for a predator (I know a shop out here does it) but then the tuner is mated to the truck for life where as paying the dealership to do it, the update is IN the TCM, not just part of a canned tune you can uninstall.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
partymn is on a distinguished road

Thanks! You would be very suprised how much I can not get done out here in Hawaii. Getting parts is hard enough, good service is even harder to come by. I wouldnt mind getting a custom tune once the gears are done, thats the last upgrade that I am planning on doing to the truck. There is no longer a drag strip out here so anything further on a 2 wheel drive truck would just be silly.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Nothing is required after a gear swap. No tuner needed. No trip to the dealer. I did the 3.55 to 4.10 a few weeks ago and everything runs prefect. I even posted a link from Diablo where they said no PCM update is required.

Post #20 and #21 http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=65850&page=2

Last edited by CHVYKLR; 11-28-2010 at 08:49 AM.