DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 AM
The official Z night owl

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
Given equal size and shape filter elements there is little to no difference in CFM Flow between "New" K&N / Powercore Filters. The difference is, as the Powercore wears over time it's ability to filter goes down as the pore size enlarges with wear and the K&N remains the same if cared for properly.
Good point. But Volant also states that the Powercore filter doesn't require maintenance until 100,000 miles.

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread

Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Silver Metallic
Rep:10
polishhawk is on a distinguished road

Fellas, Don't know if anyone mentioned the EA air filters from AMSOIL, but I've used them in my other vehicles and they are really good! Will save you $$ in the long run, and check out the air flow comparisons! I've attached the one for the 2010 5.7L 1500.
Just got my new truck this weekend, and already have one on order. I will be changing to Amsoil 0W20 shortly too :-) when i do my 1st oil change.
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EAA176-EA
Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ram Off Road 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Molten Red Pearl Coat
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Citizen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice420 View Post
Good point. But Volant also states that the Powercore filter doesn't require maintenance until 100,000 miles.
I've been a lot of places where the air filter needed cleaned every day and a few where you had to clean it 3-4 times a day.
Would you really drive your truck 100,000 miles and not service the air filter? If you would I've got some land to sale you!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishhawk View Post
Fellas, Don't know if anyone mentioned the EA air filters from AMSOIL, but I've used them in my other vehicles and they are really good! Will save you $$ in the long run, and check out the air flow comparisons! I've attached the one for the 2010 5.7L 1500.
Just got my new truck this weekend, and already have one on order. I will be changing to Amsoil 0W20 shortly too :-) when i do my 1st oil change.
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EAA176-EA
I fell for a Amsoil salesman 1 time and it cost me a engine in the 2005 HD Roadking I had at the time. Never again. I'll stick to Mobile 1 thank you.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Silver Metallic
polishhawk is on a distinguished road

Mobil 1 isn't even close to Amsoil. Check independent testing. Not an Amsoil salesman, but your 05 HD didn't blow up due to Amsoil...if it did, you would be getting a free mill from Amsoil.
I have an Indian motorcycle with an EVO engine, and my engine runs 7 degrees cooler with amsoil vs Mobil....
It's well known in the motorcycle industry that Amsoil is the premium oil in the industry....Mobil 1 is NOT bad, but it's not Amsoil...the first and only TRUE synthetic
Old 11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Laramie11 View Post
Makes perfect sense. Is there such a thing as a "Powercore" type dry drop in filter? Like if someone doesn't want to go the entire CAI route.
I tried in vain to be able to modify/fit a PowerCore into my stock air box. I believe you could put one on/into another CAI though. Only thing to watch out for is the air flow on the PowerCore is AXIAL (not radial like other cone-style filters) and you need to be sure there is ample space at the end of the filter. This was the major reason why it doesn't work in the stock air box.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Given equal size and shape filter elements there is little to no difference in CFM Flow between "New" K&N / Powercore Filters. The difference is, as the Powercore wears over time it's ability to filter goes down as the pore size enlarges with wear and the K&N remains the same if cared for properly.
I disagree. The difference lies in the filtration depth of each filter and how they 'load up' during use. The air flow through a cone-type filter flows radially (outside to inside) taking advantage of the thickness of the filter media (oiled or dry) to remove contaminates. As contaminates build up, the pressure drop across the filter increases and air flow suffers.

The air flow in the PowerCore is AXIAL (in-line with the intake tube more or less). Air flows into a little triangular section channel until it hits the end and then 'jumps' over through the filter media wall into the adjacent channel and into the intake. As contaminates are removed by the PowerCore filter, they pile, or load, up in the back of the first channel. As the filter continues to load, the air flow simply crosses over to the adjacent channel sooner (i.e.: instead of traveling 3/4 of the length of the first channel, the air now only travels 1/3). The air still only travels through (1) layer of filter media (pressure drop remains fairly constant over the life of the filter). As far as the air is concerned the filter never 'gets thicker [filter media + dirt]' with use as it does with radial flow filters. This is why Volant can say the PowerCore is basically a maintenance-free filter for 100k miles (FYI - I still look at mine every so often to make sure everything's OK - You'd be crazy not to!)

The PowerCore doesn't 'wear' in the sense that a foam filter will either since a given pore is effectively blocked and taken out of the flow path as the filter loads up over its 100k mile life. In the case of the foam K&N design, a given pore is used (and wears) consistently over the life of the filter because it is required to always be part of the flow path due to the nature/air flow of the conical filter design.

Stop by the Volant PowerCore WWW site http://www.volantpowercore.com/ and have a look at their animations showing the filter construction and operation. Envision that first channel filling with dirt and what the air would then be forced to do and it should be clear or at least clearer than I can do with words alone.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
I disagree. The difference lies in the filtration depth of each filter and how they 'load up' during use. The air flow through a cone-type filter flows radially (outside to inside) taking advantage of the thickness of the filter media (oiled or dry) to remove contaminates. As contaminates build up, the pressure drop across the filter increases and air flow suffers.

The air flow in the PowerCore is AXIAL (in-line with the intake tube more or less). Air flows into a little triangular section channel until it hits the end and then 'jumps' over through the filter media wall into the adjacent channel and into the intake. As contaminates are removed by the PowerCore filter, they pile, or load, up in the back of the first channel. As the filter continues to load, the air flow simply crosses over to the adjacent channel sooner (i.e.: instead of traveling 3/4 of the length of the first channel, the air now only travels 1/3). The air still only travels through (1) layer of filter media (pressure drop remains fairly constant over the life of the filter). As far as the air is concerned the filter never 'gets thicker [filter media + dirt]' with use as it does with radial flow filters. This is why Volant can say the PowerCore is basically a maintenance-free filter for 100k miles (FYI - I still look at mine every so often to make sure everything's OK - You'd be crazy not to!)

The PowerCore doesn't 'wear' in the sense that a foam filter will either since a given pore is effectively blocked and taken out of the flow path as the filter loads up over its 100k mile life. In the case of the foam K&N design, a given pore is used (and wears) consistently over the life of the filter because it is required to always be part of the flow path due to the nature/air flow of the conical filter design.

Stop by the Volant PowerCore WWW site http://www.volantpowercore.com/ and have a look at their animations showing the filter construction and operation. Envision that first channel filling with dirt and what the air would then be forced to do and it should be clear or at least clearer than I can do with words alone.
Their design is very innovative. I do like the fact that they use an air box and not an open element design. I still say a normally aspirated engine can only suck so much air and that is dependent on CI, RPM, intake and exhaust flow rate (including the heads) as well as cam design, unless a Ram Air system is used. Which is forced induction. If you don't drive in an ultra clean environment your filter still needs cleaned regularly. If you operate an engine a dusty,sandy,muddy, typical off road environment any filter will clog up.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Their design is very innovative. I do like the fact that they use an air box and not an open element design. I still say a normally aspirated engine can only suck so much air and that is dependent on CI, RPM, intake and exhaust flow rate (including the heads) as well as cam design, unless a Ram Air system is used. Which is forced induction. If you don't drive in an ultra clean environment your filter still needs cleaned regularly. If you operate an engine a dusty,sandy,muddy, typical off road environment any filter will clog up.
I don't disagree but what I think you are missing is the fact that the PowerCore is, in effect, self-cleaning by the way it it doesn't progressively load up as other filter designs do.