DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: standard
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
AJ1500 is on a distinguished road
Default PCM failures need help

I am new to the forum but not to Dodge or mechanics so I'm oping someone can help point me in the right direction

History, we bought a 1998 Ram 1500 4X4 with a 5.9 and auto trans
truck has run great, only issues I needed to look into were
1) vacume leak somewhere causing A/C duct to change while acc.
2) A/C leaking in pass. floor board, now repaired
3) overdrive won't turn off and OD off light in dash flickers sometimes but has no effect on tranny, also light in shifter not working for OD

Then out of nowhere I'm heading home from work and it just shuts down
all gauges fall off and it won't restart
I have it towed to my work, do some research and determine the PCM has failed, I buy a new one (napa) and install it, truck fires right up
I head to local Dealer to have it programmed, get about 8 miles and it dies again. I have it towed to dealer, they hook it up and say PCM not comunicating, so I get napa to replace PCM and take it to dealer
I explain to them how and what happened both times, both times it seems like I had just hit a bump, first time I had just went over bridge end, very small bump, second time drove over man hole cover,BIG bump
So dealer has it 5 days, they program new PCM they SAY thet tested all sensors and found no issues, they say they test drove it and all is good
I pick it up get about 6 miles and it dies again as I'm crossing a bridge, again PCM seems to be dead. again I have it towed to work where it has sat for 3 weeks now. now i am over my aggrivation and ready to dig into the problem

this is where I need some help, In my thinking and mechanical exp. this being with big rigs so there will be some differences, however
I would think it would take either a direct short or some kind of power spike to the PCM to take it out like that, am I correct in this thought
what should I be looking for other than the obvious damaged wiring
also I think it is going to be related to the truck in motion

I know that was long winded but getting a good picture of the problem is important

any help will be greatly appriciated

Thanks in advance
Ace
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

^^^^Bump^^^

Is it frying the PCM, or is the PCM just losing communication with the rest of truck?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Black
kevsugly is on a distinguished road
Default Ground?

I may be stating the obvious, but have you cleaned and checked all your ground connections? I would assume the dealer would have thought of this, but you mentioning bumps makes me think its a possibility. On top of checking the grounds, I would ohm each ground wire out to see if you have any breaks in wires or corrosion.
-Kevin
Old 12-05-2010, 10:20 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

This has wiring problem written all over it. Presumeably a bad connection or possibly a short somewhere. I'd look for pinched wiring, particularly around the crank position sensor. Pull the PCM connectors and see if any of the pins are spread apart and causing an intermittent problem.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
erm

I agree...you are losing power to the PCM or data interconnection to the PCM from the main harness, possibly the main connector.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I am only guessing it is frying the PCM's because the Dealer couldn't make it reconnect, but you hook up a new PCM and your good to go,, well for a few miles anyway
I mentioned the bump thing as it was funny that 2 of the times I had just crossed a bridge and it was a little bump but the 2nd time it was a BIG bump and the second I hit it the truck died
I haven't started working on it yet, but my first move will be to ohlm all my grounds and remove them and check/clean and reinstall them
I have pulled and inspected all 3 PCM plugs for bad/bent/corroded pins, it's clean as a whistle
also I have checked connections at the fuse box, all seem ok
after ck all grounds I was going to test power input to the PCM in all 3 plugs, just need to figure out which ones should have power and what V for them
after that I guess it's start opening harnesses and looking for damage wires

Is there anyway I can test my PCM to see if it's fryed, I know I have tried to get it to reconnect but have not been able to
Old 12-06-2010, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

PCM connector C1 - check pin 2 for 12V switched and pin 22 for 12V battery feed. Check pins 31 and 32 for continuity to ground.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks RamTech, I will make that my first thing to check, then the grounds
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

RamTech, could he have an intermittent short that is occuring when he hits the bumps? Would it help him to wiggle the wires when he's testing to check for this? Seems odd that it happens when he hits a bump in the road.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

OK I have taken the first steps, I check C1 and found that pin 2 and 22 have voltage but are a little shy of battery voltage ie, battery is sitting at 12.2 and both pins read at 11.5
than I checked for continuity to ground of 31 and 32, first I have no 32 on my plug, it looks like 31 is the last pin but both 30 and 31 read .11 resistance, not going to full continuity to ground
I was hooked to ground at the fire wall ground under the main harness going across the front, I then checked for cont. between this ground point and the battery and had a .39 of resistance. I also have a .11 between the cab and motor
So first thing I need to do is remove ALL grounds, clean inspect, ohlm wires and terminals to each end and reinstall them replacing any I find bad

?? do you think the drop in voltage is due to poor grounding