DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Color: Green/silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
philo is on a distinguished road

AJ1500,
RAMTECH et al. are the experts I hear. Grounding fault seems likely. I've readabout a connention below the power distribution box that gets loose or corroded that can cause problms. What does any else think about it?
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough

Never heard such a thing but it's a start. I would look through your harness thoroughly. Maybe a wire melted so when going over that bridge, giving a jolt to touch another wire. Take off all the plastic wraping on the harness and look carefully.

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan
Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: standard
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
AJ1500 is on a distinguished road

Well I spent most of the day Sat. working on my truck
I removed every ground I could find and cleaned, inspected, and reataching them
I now have solid continuity to all grounding surfaces and to the PCM pins
also I removed, opened and inspected the fuse box assy, I found the haness leaving the fuse box, not the one to the PCM but the one going to the cab, where it ran under the bracket for the ABS valve, it had rubbed through the outer loom, so I removed everything so I could get to the wires and found a small pink/w blue stipe wire had a small FRESH cut and bare spot, I'm pretty sure it was able to touch the bracket and might have even been up against it.
there were 2 pink/ w blue stripped wires in the harness one was about 14 gauge and the one cut was smaller, maybe 16 or even 18
I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem as I don't have a good PCM at the moment
I'm hoping I can find what that wire went to so I can determine if it's related

I didn't remove all harnesses, I just looked anywhere it looked like somthing could have went wrong
Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So my next move is to remove and inspect the harnesses from the PCM to the engine area, looks like it goes to the injectors and all the sensors

I have a question, related but in a different area, can you remove the button on the end of the shifter that operates the OD I ask because I would like to remove it and inspect the wiring and test it for power
it seems to have no effect when pushed and yet the OD light in dash will flicker sometimes for no reason, OD doesn't change, OD works but it won't turn off
just trying to research every possible cause before I buy another PCM
Old 01-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 CC LB
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Emerald Green
97ram2500 is on a distinguished road

Did you pay attention to what kind of charge the alternator was putting out? If your voltage regulator stuck on letting the alternator keep charging the system then it could have put more then volts into the system and it could fry the PCM. If this is the case then you would just need a new alternator. I think it is a possibility and that maybe it was just a coincidence that it fryed when hitting a small bump. If you think about it maybe that it just happened to be that it was that spot it finally produced enough power to fry the PCM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

It's interesting you would say that, I had someone ask me the same thing
they said the alternator can actualy convert the voltage to AC current
I have to say I have never heard of that but I know a regulator can put in into overdrive and take the voltage pretty high
I must admit I didn't notice anything off about the charging but I think I'll pull it and have it tested

still hoping someone can tell me how to remove the OD button on the shifter so I can check it
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 CC LB
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Emerald Green
97ram2500 is on a distinguished road

Well,I'm 16 and a sophomore in high school. I really like working on motorized things whether it be a car/truck or a tractor,quad,dirt bike. I go out and tinker with things all the time instead of sitting around playing video games. I laugh when my buddies at vo-tech tell me what they did that day because I already new how to do it.I watch a lot of instructional videos online. I am a member on a lot of forums and get in on the discussions. Read all kinds of instructions on things. All in hopes that one day I can have my own shop. I also go talk to several of my neighbors about their businesses. One being a machinist and the other being an electrician.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I wantd to thank everyone who offered suggestions with my issue

I got it, I'm not sure what fixed it as I repaired muliple issues but I wanted to share what I found

First thing was a cut wire in the main harness gong into the cab, the damage was caused by the ABS module bracket on the fender well where the cable ran under it

next I found the coolant temp sensor on the right side front of mator was broken at the plug

then in the wiring harness from the PCM I found an injector wire cut and 4 others sort of pinched

and last I found a bare wire right at the plug on 1 of the transmission sensors

I repaired all of these items and since I still had no idea if it was fixed I bought a PCM from a salvage yard and hooked it up

I put it through some pretty rough conditions to see if bumps or bounces were going to shut it down again, I let it idle for 30 mins, after that I felt good about it and took it out
all seems to be good as I drove it home from work with no issues

Thanks again to all that offered suggestions
Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:35
gwtaz is on a distinguished road

Just that easy, hunh? Seriously, I'm having some electrical problems and have a question. Wouldn't it have been easier to just start replacing the wiring harness? Or was it more cost effective to inspect and replace (splice) single wires?

I'm debating the issue on my own truck.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I guess that depends on how deep your pockets are, but seriously, I like so many others live on a tight budget so just replacing harnesses was out of the question
besides the years of being a mechanic wouldn't let me just throw parts at it
In my case not repairing the problem meant frying a 250 to 350 $$$ PCM
my truck fried 3 of them in less than 20 miles of driving not to mention 3 tow bills and a bill from Dealer to program one PCM and suposedly inspect wiring and test all the sensors
if I replaced A harness then tested it and it was the wrong harnes I would be having to buy another PCM and be looking at replacing another harness, more $$$$
I found following the advice and suggestions offered were the best way to get to the bottom of my delima, now admittedly I wish I knew for sure what part repaired it, at this point,,, well honestly,, I don't care. My truck is running again and all is good

I would say, tell what is happening, be specific and see if someone here can help before just replacing stuff that might not have anything to do with it
Good luck, I hope you get it fixed