DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of
Default Powerbraking aka Smoking the Tires

This is one of my "I've been giving this some thought" posts.

Back in the day we used to power brake a lot. For those unfamiliar with the term you held your foot on the brakes and over-rode them with the gas pedal. The front brakes usually held well since they did 70% or more of the braking anyway.

Once front disc brakes came out, it was even easier because they held better than drum brakes anyway.

But damage to the rear brakes and drive-line were frequent results of playing just a tad to much.

One item we used to use was a line lock. Again, for those that are not familiar with it, you mount the switch on your steering wheel and there is a solenoid valve mounted in your front brake line. You step on the brakes, push and hold the button and release your foot off the brakes. This keeps the front wheels locked and the back ones are free to spin. This kept the damage down if not eliminated it.

Now a lot of our trucks have 4 wheel disc so smoking the tires can get a little tricky; even after we defeat the traction control, torque management system, and the rev limiter.

I see a lot of folks talk about either spinning/smoking their rear tires or wanting to do it on the later model Rams. But I don't see much if any discussion on the use of line locks.

So, I'm wondering a few things.

1. Do folks still use line locks? If not, why not?
2. What kind of damage is being done to the rear drive line and brakes etc from power braking? Disc brakes are not as easy to over-power as drum brakes.

3. Lastly, can the line locks even be used with the new computerized everything including ABS?
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

thats weird cuz i have absolutley no trouble at all smoking my tires...if i dont turn off the esp its a one tire frier but as soon as i hit that button she lights em both up and smoke is towering out from the tires!!!!! but now that i got new tires i wont be doing that anymore
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crewcab 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Email: Chili1k@att.net
Rep:1092
Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of

I gave it a shot after i got the truck. People said they couldnt get them to spin. I did.. no effort at all.. spun without problems.. Just had to feather the brake at first to get it rollin. Line locks can still be done and if you wanna burn thru rears, it should be done. but I did it the one time.. and now just when its wet without the use of brakes!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
trentowens92 is on a distinguished road

to answer your second question it definately can cause damage to the drive line.i used to have a 2001 gmc and i broke a driveshaft, rear end, and when i sold it had problems with the transmission...im not saying that all of it is from the power breaking but im sure it didnt do anything to help,as for on a dodge im not sure.i havnt had any problems so far :P
Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

Line lock I've heard my dad talking bout that lol. But I only have the 4.7,4 disc brakes , no traction control or anything outsie of abs and lsd and if I powerbrake I can spin em relatively easy
Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:222
BLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura about

I have a Summitt line lock on my Lightning...works awesome and saves my brakes.

"MPG???...I get Smiles Per Gallon!"
2010 RAM SPORT CC 4x4 Hemi
Diablo Tuner, Mufflex 14, Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks, 3.5 lift, 35 in mud tires
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:299
KennyPowers is a jewel in the roughKennyPowers is a jewel in the roughKennyPowers is a jewel in the rough

When I had my Z I used to brake boost a lot during roll races. It helps quite a bit. We're talking turbo's here.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
BRYFRY is on a distinguished road

Never heard of the line lock thing, sounds interesting though.

I certainly have no trouble smoking the tires on my 09. The other day I slowed down to about 3 to 5 mph, and not even touching the brake I floored it...... tires lit up, and smoked for a full half a block before I let up! ....and my truck is stock with only the 3:5 gears! ...haha!

Only reason I see for power braking would be to cancel out any unwanted forward motion of the vehicle. I power braked my SRT8 300C pretty often for this reason, and never had any issues with brake damage or anything else.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
erm

Yep, you can still get a line lock, they are still used and they work well.

The additional features you mentioned make it a bit tougher to do a burn out but you can do it.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:12 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:656
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

did someone say linelock?