DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAM 1500 sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Bob2002 is on a distinguished road
Default Auto unlock on exit stoped working

Greetings folks;

I just joined the site and would like to first off say hello. I have a 2002 RAM 1500 that I absolutely love. My wife hates it, to big, which works well for me. I pretty much do all my own maintenance and work, when I can and do enjoy working on the truck.

I recently came across a new problem. Ever since I had the truck, from 2003, When the truck reached a speed of about 15 miles an hour the doors would lock. Then, when I stopped, turned off the ignition and pulled the key out, opened the driver door, all doors would unlock. A couple of days ago the unlock function stopped.

I found the sequence on like to follow to enable the function (ignition on off 4 times, then unlock). I got the chyme, yet the doors still won't unlock on exit. I tried it a few times, I even hit "lock" instead of "unlock" a few times. somtetimes I got a completion chime, sometimes not.

So now, nether lock or unlock functions are working, so I have obviously confused myself, and I can't get the lock function back. I've done the sequence several times, nothing. Now I'm frustrated.

So, first off, why would this just stop working? and why can't I get it back? Why can't I re-enable the lock function? That worked fine. And to add insult to this my owners and service manual do not achlolage the unlock function at all. At least I can't find it anywhere near the locumented locking vunction.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm stuck and really don't want to have to bring it to the dealer.

Bob
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

It may be possible to reset these functions and get an idea of what may be wrong with a DRB III scan tool.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
malsamd is on a distinguished road

I have a 2005 Dodge ram 2500 and my auto unlock just stopped working. It bugged me forever. Tried all the things I could find on the web, reprogramming the auto lock and unlock functions but no difference. Put up with it for almost 2 years. Until I decided to try and fix it myself. One thing I noticed was when i get out of the pickup after I put it in park and take out the key. When I open the drivers door, the door chime would go off for like 10 seconds. I would check to make sure my lights where off and everything that can cause the chime to sound. Then it would stop on its own. Well almost took it to the dealership when I thought of something. The auto unlock must be triggered by something to initiate the unlock command. Since I knew the door switch was working by using the door ajar light to test it, there is only one other thing inthe door that sees the doors unlock. The key lock assembly in the door! You know that there must be a switch in it that locks all the doors and unlocks them with a second turn. So I put the key in the door and cycled it a couple of times. When I tested the auto unlock, it started to work for hte first time in two years.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
malsamd is on a distinguished road
Default Update on key lock switch

Been about 6 months since I found that the switch that is mounted to the key cylinder in the drivers door was goofing up my auto unlock feature.

Went to get in my truck in the garage the other day and found my truck locked on its own. The remote wouldn't unlock or lock the doors. So, I had to use the key to unlock the door. The switches in the cab worked but not the keyless remotes. Figured that switch in the door had something to do with it.

Took off the door panel and got to where the switch was mounted to the back of the key cylinder and followed the wires. Unplugged it and the keyless started to work. Found out that the switch is called the Left door security switch. Its what senses which way you unlock or lock your doors with the key to actuate the other doors. It also takes care of auto unlocking the doors on exit when you get out after driving over 15 mph. Ordered a new switch online for kinda a high price: roughly $80 after shipping.

Hope this helps someone that might have similiar problems.