DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram 1500
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
joe bob is on a distinguished road
Default torque converter?

OK so I got this truck from a buy here pay here and it has been a great truck. Ive only had it for a few months but it has already proven itself as a real work horse. When I got the truck it ran perfect and still does but it dosnt shift quite right and makes some strange noise. When I get on the highway it feels funny going from 2nd to 3rd gear. Almost like it jumps back and forth between gears for a second and then finaly shifts and runs like it should. It only does this if Im hard on the throttle. The only time it makes the strange noise is sitting in park or nuetral at idle. It sounds like a rod knoking but its not steady like a rod, its more or less a random knok or a rattle and seams to be coming from the tranny bell housing. Ive done some reading on the forum and the best I can tell is the locking torque converter is trying to lock when its not suposed to. I am going to check to make sure everything is tight and not coming loose and if thats not it Im wondering if anyone else has any ideas.
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

So you don't really know the service history on this? How's the tranny fluid look and smell? I'd start with a tranny service where they completely flush the system. Hopefully, it's just some overdue maintenance.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram 1500
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
joe bob is on a distinguished road

No unfortunatley I dont know the history of this truck but when I got it the fluids all looked good and after driving it for about a weak one of the tranny cooling lines came disconected from the radiator efectiveley forcing me to change the tranny fluid in a publix parking lot. I pulled the startor and inspection plate yesterday and found the torque converter bolts all made about one full turn before I even put a wrench on them. I was hoping that was all it was but after reading some horror stories about these trannys I was realy worrried. Dosnt make a sound now and shifts smooth and crisp like when I got the truck.