DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7l
Trim Level: none
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
TheLittleKing is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Whining/Humming noise at low rpm and while steering

I have a 2003 Dodge ram 1500, I purchased it a couple years ago, and to this day has run very well. BUT I have one major problem and one minor problem.

1st, while my truck is at a low rpm or I start turning the steering wheel (while at low rpm) there is a rather harsh sounding humm/whine from the fron of the engine, sounds like its close to the alt/fan/w.e. area. I have checked the power steering pump and lines for leaks but it looks dry. The power steering fluid is in normal range....

any suggestions? (I recently had it in to a lube shop and had the diff/tranny/oil all changed, about a week after this is when the noise started)

2nd, the heater seems very weak, no warm air out of the lower heat vents only the deffroster, and when im doing over 80km/h it blows cold, not to mention it takes a solid 20-30 mins to warm up if at all....
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Blue
Rep:85
RamItAll will become famous soon enough

i also have the whine. ive heard many other dodges with it. never really looked into it or bothered me. as for the heater, check coolant, if its low it will not heat up quickly. and it could just be the heater. im sure randy (ramtech) can help you out on both of these shortly
Old 12-03-2010, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The pump could be showing it's age. Turn the wheel and after you hear the noise, shut off the engine and check the p/s fluid for bubbles. If you find them in the fluid, you have air in the system. The heat issue is most likely a thermostat stuck open.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Blue
Rep:85
RamItAll will become famous soon enough

see

good thing you're here ramtech
Old 12-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have checked for bubbling in the power steering like you described but found none.... I'm not sure how to check if the thermostat is stuck open, maybe it just needs to be replaced??

The whinning/hum sound isnt the quiet type that most dodges have (that sound my dodge has always had too)...this hum is loud and violent sounding. It gets worse as I turn the steering wheel. its not 'grindy' sounding but it is harsh sounding if that makes any sense. The steering doesnt seem to affected, maybe a little resistant.... I listen for the sound and i'm not sure if its the p/s pump, sounds like its coming from the alternator maybe? which i think is weird considering it makes the sound when at a low idle or im turning the steering wheel....It makes less of a noise if im turning at a higher speed but the slower I go the worse it sounds.

any suggestions??
Old 12-06-2010, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

The heat problem definitely sounds like the t-stat. Do a complete cooling system flush and fill and replace the t-stat.

The sound also sounds like the pump is going. What describe fits very well.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

First off, I want to thank everyone for giving me help and suggestions, I really appreciate it, you guys f*ckin rock!

Ok, so I swapped out the thermostat yesterday, then I filled the coolent half full, ran the engine for 5 to 10 to circulate the coolent, then filled the second half, I did this to minimize the chance of airlock in the system. I wil admit the heater is kicking out a little more heat, and heats a little faster but I'm still at the 20 minute mark to get ANY heat, and as soon as i go faster than 60klicks its cold again.....I'm thinking a clogged heater core? (also if i put the heater to full fan power it gets cold!!) was thinking I might flush out the core in reverse to try and uncloge it?...think that will help?? or am i waisting my time?

Also, I poured a bunch of p/s fluid in the p/s system with a conditioning additive, after driving 10 miles the steering is much more responsve and the sound is gone, Although my p/s wasnt low I think not having it at completely full/the age of the motor may be the contributing factor to the whinnig. so for now that problem is soved, thanks guys!!

I have one other issue someome may or may not be able to help me with, when you open a door on the truck the interior light goes on.... which is great! BUT if I open the rear driver side door the light doesnt go on?? is this a fuse or bad wiring? also, the passanger side window switch sometimes doesnt work...maybe craked soddering?? so I guess im asking how to troubleshoot this to narrow the problem? and how do I solve it once i know what it is?

Again, any suggestions are really, really appreciated!!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Quote:
I wil admit the heater is kicking out a little more heat, and heats a little faster but I'm still at the 20 minute mark to get ANY heat, and as soon as i go faster than 60klicks its cold again.....I'm thinking a clogged heater core? (also if i put the heater to full fan power it gets cold!!) was thinking I might flush out the core in reverse to try and uncloge it?...think that will help?? or am i waisting my time?
If both heater hoses in the engine compartment are hot to the touch, the problem is not the core. More than likely a door problem. Crawl under the dash and have someone work the controls with the engine running and see if everything is moving correctly.
Quote:
BUT if I open the rear driver side door the light doesnt go on?? is this a fuse or bad wiring?
This sounds like a switch problem. Take it out and play with it. More than likely you'll have to replace the switch, but do your troubleshooting before you throw parts at it.
Quote:

also, the passanger side window switch sometimes doesnt work...maybe craked soddering?? so I guess im asking how to troubleshoot this to narrow the problem? and how do I solve it once i know what it is?
Sounds like a problem with the switch. There is no repair on them though. Easy way to know for sure is remove one of the switches from a back door and plug it into the wiring (if it will connect) and see if it works. While you've got the door panel off check all the wiring. Again, troubleshoot before you throw parts at it.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Rep:27
Maddevill is on a distinguished road

My window switch had a lot of corrosion where the harness plugs into the switch. Cleaned that up and it worked good.