DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 dodge ram sport
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
jaredtowne is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 ram sport -- front end issues!?

Hello all, I own a 2000 ram 1500 sport, 5.9, auto, loaded with everything dodge had to offer.

I have had good and bad times with this truck,.. it sat for a good while with a thrashed 46re while I drove a new f150..

Well a few months ago I brought it back to life with a new tranny and tourque converter. been driving the truck daily since, its been great, only issues I have had is had to replace the waterpump,the windshield washer pump, and a vac line for the cruise.

But there is an ongoing problem that I just cant figure out.

I am by no means a top notch mechanic, I am just your average guy with a 2-bay garage and a arsenal of tools that hates to pay people to do stuff I can figure out. I have done all the work on the truck myself. Its been a learning process but I do have basical knowledge of everything.

Now here is my issue...

it seems like there is something whining / whurring in the front end, something just "not right".. The truck drives great, but there is a fair amount of driveline noise. Say I am on the interstate going 65 and I go down a hill where I no longer need to press the throttle.. So i let off, you can almost feel something catch and start making noise, like its not keeping up with the rest of the driveline, I hit the gas again, and as long as I am accelerating it goes away.

Its not a massive noise by any means, but it is definatly there.

I first thought it was actually coming from the rear end, so I took the pumpkin cover off, everything checks in, no shavings, re-filled with quality stuff. And I also put new u-joints on each end of the driveshaft.

When I use 4x4 the front left will click like a bastard when turning and under load... I am assuming that the cv is toast, but I dont really have any experience in the front end of this truck.

Could wore out shafts in the front be the cause of all this?

I just don't know where to start. I am fine with looking at a manual and wrenching and replacing something.. It is the "figureing out what it is" part that gets me. I dont want to keep sinking money into all the wrong spots if its actually something major, or maybe even something minor.

any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make it easier to help me. Like photos or other desciptions. Its really hard to describe this stuff over the net.
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I think the whinning noise your hearing is still coming from the rear end . On and off the throttle the noise changes and your in 2wd . Correct . If thats the case , check and see if the yoke on the rear is loose . I've seen several pinion nuts loose in the past . You could also have a bad hub/bearing in the front . Drive the truck and steer from left to right and see if the pitch of the noise changes . Don't forget to stop by the newbie section and introduce yourself .
Old 12-05-2010, 06:52 PM
erm

I agree with what Tom ^^^^ said.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Same here. The popping is probably a dried out axle joint and the whining can be the rear end bearings even if you don't find contamination in the diff fluid.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

I know when this happened on my ram is was a combination of worn out front hub bearings and front axle joints.
Thank goodness it wasn't my pinion bearing, but that has been an issue for others.
An easy way to check the front bearings is to lift each tire off the gound safely and while grabbing the tire at 12 and six o'clock wiggle it. If the tire has play in it the bearings are shot.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

How do I "check to see if the yoke is loose", Is this like checking u-joints? just grab the shaft and see if it has play in that area? in that case, it seems to be tight. Or the "pinion nut" is that something I have to take the pumpkin cover off to check?

okie- will check the bearings the way you described, when you say "front axle joints" is this the cv shaft? or is there something else replacable in there?

thanks everyone.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

just got done jacking up driverside front wheel... easily got atleast half an inch of movement when pushing on 12 then 6 oclock. awesome.

owell, time to get the other side on a stand, i bet its toast aswell.. havent popped the tire off yet to examine the axles, how do you tell if the front axles are shot?

or if anyone knows anything else to check while im in this area it would be awesome, i'd like to get this thing tight and smooth again.

again, thanks for the help.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

on a side note.. I JUST got my truck inspected last week. I guess thats kind of a good thing though, Much cheaper if I do it myself.