DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Gossage55 is on a distinguished road
Default Truck starts but dies

As the title states, my truck will start but then die. I've narrowed it down to the fuel pump or else there is something wrong with my throttle cable because it will not even idle without giving it gas. Anyone with any other ideas? Just put in a brand new battery and had the alternator checked too.
Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Clean the throttle body and TPS. Doesn't sound like the pump because its delivering fuel. Also check the fuel filter.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 AM

Sorry but I'm not familiar with what the TPS is. I did a quick search and came across one of those ehow.com pages...totally worthless...I found a picture but I'm not sure how I would go about cleaning it though. Is it possible to "override" the fuel pump by simply pressing on the gas pedal? Trust me, I'm hoping it's not the fuel pump. Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:83
cosbourn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossage55 View Post
As the title states, my truck will start but then die. I've narrowed it down to the fuel pump or else there is something wrong with my throttle cable because it will not even idle without giving it gas. Anyone with any other ideas? Just put in a brand new battery and had the alternator checked too.
Thanks
i had the same problem on my old 96, turns out it was the battery. but as you stated you just put in a brand new battery so idk. electrically it sounds fine. maybe some others will chime in. hope you figure it out!
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar w/ IPF 968CSG lights, Husky Mud Flaps, Bedlined GoRhino Dominator II steps, Bedlined Fuel Door, RBP Pedal-Covers, Clarion CZ300, Composite BFI (#71) w/ 8" Tall Amsoil Filter + K&N Drycharger Prefilter, AirRam Scoop, Flex-a-Lite 183, dumped Aeroturbine 3030XL
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Since you just installed a new battery, the PCM has "forgotten" the idle strategy. Start the truck and keep it running until it will idle on its own. This will let the PCM relearn the idle strategy.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:26 AM

Vehicle: 97 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Black
Rep:55
Ram15002ndgen will become famous soon enough

X2, give it a little time to relearn and it may be cleared up. I hear others having this problem which I have fortunately never experienced. I have replaced my battery twice and mine learned the new idle instantly.

The fuel filter cannot be checked since it is in the fuel tank with the fuel pump. The way to check to see if the fuel pump is going bad is to check the pressure at the fuel rails. That way you know for sure.

I agree if the problem doesn't go away it could be either TPS, IAC, dirty TB, but not your throttle cable unless you messed around with it.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Update:

Well, for those that suggested the truck needs to relearn the idle-I think you may be right. When I first heard that, I figured that has got to be a joke! But I was prepared to have to pull the tank and replace the fuel pump so I figured before I go and do that I'm gonna try every last option and go through the process of elimination. Well, I started it yesterday and ran it with my foot on the gas for about a minute until it was running on its own. Drove it around for a bit-it did die a few times when coming to a stop but then decided to let it run in the driveway for about 15 minutes. I think it worked! We'll see in the next few days if I experience any problems. THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! I would have never thought of that if it were not for this forum.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

MOPARKIDD2001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Since you just installed a new battery, the PCM has "forgotten" the idle strategy. Start the truck and keep it running until it will idle on its own. This will let the PCM relearn the idle strategy.
also, dont forget to reset the pcm...
to do that unplugg the negative cable from the battery and let it sit for about 10 mins.... that made my engine light come off, but i am also having problems with the idleing... mine truns off and its at very low rpm's i would say .5(or the half before the one) to be more specific..
if anyone has a solution to my prob... please PM me, or quote me.... thx in advanced.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Resetting the PCM is what causes lost idle strategy. Have you cleaned out your throttle body and IAC lately?
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46454
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPARKIDD2001 View Post
also, dont forget to reset the pcm...
to do that unplugg the negative cable from the battery and let it sit for about 10 mins.... that made my engine light come off, but i am also having problems with the idleing... mine truns off and its at very low rpm's i would say .5(or the half before the one) to be more specific..
if anyone has a solution to my prob... please PM me, or quote me.... thx in advanced.
Try and take off the idle air control valve located on the back of the throttle body. Mine was really dirty. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and let it dry out. Put it back on and solved the problem! No more choking out while idling. Hope this helps.