DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Suspension 4th Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Smaintanis is on a distinguished road
Default Rear coil springs

I am trying to find a way to increase load capacity on my Big Horn 1500 without the back end sagging. Been told that I should replace the coil springs or add coil rite air bags. Anyone have any recommendations or experience with either?

I am hauling a 5,500 pound trailer with equalizers on the tongue.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

Try these guys. SDTruckSprings.com 1-877-774-6473
Kit #TTC-1223V
Increase the rear end support of your vehicle with this variable rate coil spring kit by Tuftruck. Designed to provide superior load support and ride quality to your OEM springs, these are sure to keep you level and give you the extra weight capacity that your truck needs. HD variable rate coil springs by Tuftruck are designed for the serious truck owner in mind. Manufactured using hot wound and cold wound manufacturing, these heavy duty coil springs are inspected and ISO 9001 certified to pass all stress and load rate fatigue tests. All Otto-max coil springs are made with top quality North American steel to ensure performance and endurance. Notes Maximum Weight Rating for this kit – 2,550 lbs This kit WILL NOT affect ride height This kit recommended for vehicles that are NOT constantly loaded. *As weight is added, the springs will progressively increase resistance.
How would you know?

Last edited by oldhp; 01-04-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Crew cab
Color: Grey
smoke is on a distinguished road

I put the Air Lift kit into mine, NO JOY, when the bag is inflated it would inflate really tight inside the coil spring and when the truck would do any bouncing on the highway the bag actually trapped the spring and allowing the axle to drop out from the spring. Ram did not put spring keepers on the the springs. The spring kicked out while hauling my 28ft trailer. WOW, twice. Well mine NOW has self made spring keepers on the bottom and NO air bags. I am however looking in to the TLC air suspension as it doesnt mess with the springs.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 loaded Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Loaded Sport
Color: True Blue Pearlcoat
illucid is on a distinguished road

So your axle came off the spring? Or the spring popped out? I'm confused as I have airlift 1000 and Love it! No issues
Old 01-04-2015, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

I've never liked air bags/shocks. If your loaded and you pop a hose your done. Found out the hard way along time ago. Scratch one Mickey Thompson L60x15. Re-arched springs from then on.
How would you know?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: 1492 Santa Maria
Color: Hot pink
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:135
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I put the Air Lift kit into mine, NO JOY, when the bag is inflated it would inflate really tight inside the coil spring and when the truck would do any bouncing on the highway the bag actually trapped the spring and allowing the axle to drop out from the spring. Ram did not put spring keepers on the the springs. The spring kicked out while hauling my 28ft trailer. WOW, twice. Well mine NOW has self made spring keepers on the bottom and NO air bags. I am however looking in to the TLC air suspension as it doesnt mess with the springs.
Did you inflate the Airlifts prior to loading, or after?

Instructions indicate to inflate before you load,,,,

I only haul ~900~ lbs in the bed a couple times a year. (F6B Goldwing) I've been happy with the Airtlifts I had in my 09 with the same load, and I'm seriously considering using them again in my 14.

Another 'bag' option I think would be better still, especially for heavy loads, would be the TLC bag kit.

They are a Ram Forumz Sponsor.

http://www.totalloadcontrolsuspensions.com/

Last edited by HoustonHemi; 01-04-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Smaintanis is on a distinguished road

Guys thank you for the insight.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: express
Color: dark cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Tom in ct. is on a distinguished road

I have been using air lift 1000 bags for the last 2 years, I Haul a 33 foot seven thousand pound camp trailer using an equalizer hitch, never had an issue, the whole system works exceptionally well, ride and control perfect. others here may differ with me but I have both bags hooked to the same air inlet. no issues.
good luck!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 1492 Santa Maria
Color: Hot pink
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:135
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

I had dual fills on the 09. Kind of a PITA to balance pressures exactly. (The right gauge helps a lot!!!)

My payloads are always centered/balanced, so I'm most likely going to go with a single fill this go round. Contemplating a fill location inside the bed., RH rear corner, perhaps,,,

$84 for the AL1000's on Amazon. Considering what and how infrequently I haul, they are a great bang for the buck and more than adequate for my needs.

Airlift also makes a 'heavier duty' 5000 series for the 4th Gens. Purchase price is a bit less than the TLC bags, but,,, it requires permanent alterations to your frame. (Grind off jounce cups, add pilot holes to frame/use self-tapping screws to attach some plates in place of the cups)

I work in a building full of Engineers who deal exclusively with metal construction. I'm not worried at all about any 'structural impact' the attachment of the AR5000 plates (via ST screws) will have on the frame. I just prefer not to permanently change anything.

The TLC kit is 100% reversible. No grinding or drilling of the frame is required.

Last edited by HoustonHemi; 01-11-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:22 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:545
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I'd rather go with heavier duty springs than airbags.

Thunderhorse-Built: 25 Feb 2013 Warren, Michigan; Bought: 28 May 2013
Huskyliner Weatherbeaters, door edge guards, Line-X bedliner, Kryptek Typhon Cordura seat covers w/ MOLLE panels (review), Console Vault (install/review), Bilstein 4600s (thread), BFG T/A KO2 LT275/60/20s (thread), Borla XR-1 (thread), Matte black Plasti-dipped center console bezel, BT catch can.