DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
There are pictures of my 2009 in my gallery
http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/s...php/photo/2313

It's Ultimate Xtreme which is a hot spray-in very similar to Line-X. The spray-in applications allow you to be a bit more creative (if you're interested). I did a stencil in mine. Line-X now comes in UV-resistant colors as well. There are all kinds of options limited only by your imagination and, in some cases, pocket book.

I would recommend a spray-in. Even though you don't think you'll need their durability, you'll do something with it and cut/peel it. With a professional installation, you can get it fixed (usually for free). Prep work is VERY important with all bed-liners (except the drop-ins and bed rug). If you don't get a good 'tooth' they won't stick and they'll peel in a short time. Install problems would be covered by warranty (I think Rhino, Line-X and Ultimate all have limited lifetime warranties now).

Unless you're up for some creative body work (which it doesn't sound like you are), you don't want to mess with the bed rail caps. They are held on @ (4) points by plastic, square profile push-lock pins. When removed, they leave behind (4) 1/2" square holes that have to be plugged before you put on the bed-liner. Also, the caps are indented into the bed side (as you've already noticed). That little recess that would be left when removing the cap would ruin the lines of the bed, IMHO. I don't think you'll like it.

There is at least (1) company that makes a replacement cap out of polished SS, I believe, that doesn't look too bad. I wasn't digging the shiny look so I didn't get them. They sit inside the existing recess thus preserving the lines of the bed. The thought had crossed my mind to get a pair and have them sprayed prior to installation. That might be a consideration. I don't know what you'd be looking at in terms of cost though.

Good luck with the research and be sure and post pictures of your final solution. We love pictures!!!
I am getting ready to move from Fort Drum NY to Fort Lewis WA, for work (I am a Mechanic in the Army). I am thinking the Seattle/Tacoma area will have more in the way of options, and I for sure will have more in the way of cash to throw at it. One thing is for certain, I do not have the experience to do a spray in myself. The only DIY option for me would be herculiner or something similar. And no, I am not looking to be filling holes and doing unnesscary body work on my new truck LOL. I dont mind the black plastic pieces on the bed sides, I just wish they werent recessed into the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wermbang View Post
You could also check out Vortex spray in liners. They are a portable unit that can come to you to spray. Cost around me is around $350 lifetime warranty too.
I haven't hears about them...google ftw.

So what are your opinions guys, since the pan liner is in there now, and has been probably since the truck was new, is it better to just leave it there till I get ready to do the replacement, or would it be best to just take it out and go bare bed for a few months?

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:13
Grumpy is on a distinguished road

A few comments.

If you're interested in a spray-on bedliner, you should consider three things: The product, application process, and warranty.

Product: Walk into Discount Tire and you see tires. They all look the same and they are all made of rubber. But, they can have very different physical properties. Some are soft (performance), some are hard (off-road), some have higher speed ratings, and they can have different temperature ratings. Also, some are high quality and some are low quality. Spray-on bedliners sort of work the same way. They may look similiar but can have VERY different physical properties. In addition, some bedliner companies use "top shelf" chemicals (like from BASF) while others buy from...foreign countries. Better chemicals render stronger bedliners (because the chemicals better crosslink).

Application Process: The best application method for trucks is a heat (about 140 degrees)/high pressure (about 2,000 psi) system. LINE-X was the first and has always used a heat/high pressure application system. High pressure also renders a finer texture which just looks nicer than a low pressure product.

Recently mentioned brands were Xtreme and Vortex:

Xtreme and Ultimate Linings merged a few years ago. The Xtreme bedliner is not called "Ultimate Xtreme". They actually have a low pressure product called "Grip-It" and a high pressure product called "Xtreme HP". Grip-It is very soft and is a very weak product as far as bedliners go (tear strength is a very low 187.50 psi). HP is much better, but in my opinion, contains too much polyurea. It's WAY too hard for a spray-on bedliner, it's harder than a freaking rock! Assuming nothing has changed in the last couple of years, Xtreme/Ultimate buy their chemicals out of Mexico. Nuff said there.

Vortex is owned by Kott Koatings. It's a VERY low pressure bedliner. Typical low pressure bedliners use about 110 psi. Vortex used only 8 psi. It has the typical "gouped on" look of low pressure bedliners.

Warranty: Neither Xtreme/Ultimate nor Vortex offer a nationwide warranty like LINE-X.

Last edited by Grumpy; 12-16-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Bighorn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
09bighorn is on a distinguished road

I did Herculiner in the tub of my jeep. I will have to say 75% of the work is in the prep work. It was very easy to use. The only area that gave me problems was under my feet. It rubbed of in about 6 months. I think in a limited use bed it'll do fine. With the texture it was very hard to get mud out was my only other complaint.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
Jason Rose will become famous soon enough

I'm on the same page as the others. I wouldn't waste the time and effort on a do-it-yourself roll on bed coating. A couple exceptions would be if you just wanted to hide scrapes and scratches in a bed on a truck you were looking to sell, or if the truck was purchaced and you have no intention of hauling things in the bed that may chip it or wear it off.

A friend of mine bought a truck with a roll on bed coating that the previous owner had done. He owned the truck 2 years I think and in that time about 1/2 of the coating was just GONE. You really can't tell just how thin the coating is when it's fresh, but you can sure tell once you start to wear through it.

With the spray in liners, it's been a while since I've researched them... Last I knew I prefered the Rino liner because it's a softer and "stickier" type that really prevents things from sliding around and would provide a little bit of cushion if you dropped things in the bed. The line-x was a rock hard coating that IMO was no different than the hard slick steel you were covering. I want a bed liner to keep stuff from sliding around (hence why I despise the plastic drop-ins). My GMC had a line-x and I had to put a rubber bed mat in the bed still. It was also a color matched type, in an '08, and had faded areas where it appeared something had been spilled on it? Plus some chips out of it. I wasn't too impressed...