DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1492 Santa Maria
Color: Hot pink
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:135
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

21 MPG hwy here. MDS? yep. Drone? None with my 24" Magnaflow.

Now, if you're trying to be 'cool' (?) and run a 'bubba-blaster' type exhaust system, well, MDS just isn't going to work for ya.

BUT!!!! Fear not, all yea haters of MDS,,, for the next 'fuel mizer' technology is not going to involve a V-8 that runs on 4 at times,,,

Believe it or not, ALL cylinders will fire ALL the time!!!!

One small catch,,,, I sure hope you think a V-6 sounds 'cool',,,

It's only a matter of time before a V-8 will not be available in a 1/2 ton.

How long????? Quicker than you think!!!!!

There is a 3.5 liter V-6 truck engine out today that pump out 365HP and 420 TQ, (that 420 is at 2500 rpm, too!),,, That's more HP than a 3rd gen Hemi and more TQ that the 4th Gen Hemi,,, It'll also get better MPG than any V-8 limping along in 4 mode,,,

Of course, Bubba won't be happy, (or cool!) but there will still be some old clunkers around somewhere that he can drive,,, Well, that is if he can afford $6 a gallon for the gas,,,

Last edited by HoustonHemi; 01-01-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2011, 10:14 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Ecoboost is a cool thing.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
Jason Rose will become famous soon enough

I don't get the whole MDS on the highway thing... What are your highway speeds? 55 mph still like back in the 1980's? Because my MDS will not even kick in above 65 mph, unless cruising down a loooong incline. Around town it goes on and off all the time.

I don't have a custom/aftermarket muffler, yet... Sounds like I may want to hold the phone on one until I can buy a tuner first to shut the MDS off.

Frankly I think it's a joke as well, I'm seeing about 11 mpg around town and it's on frequently, I also have been keeping a pretty light foot on the go pedal. If the MDS is what's making that fabulous fuel economy I'd hate to see what it will make with it turned off!

"cool sound" aside, I'm all for better fuel economy in a vehicle of my choice. I want to drive a truck, I'm a big guy and do haul things that necessitate having a truck. I'm NOT all for getting 13 mpg on the highway when gas is shooting above $3.00 a gallon again, possibly MUCH higher soon. Call me a tree hugger, obama lover, whatever... If that's what it takes for someone to pull some magic out of their hat and make a real truck that ACTUALLY gets around 25 mpg consistently and still has power to get up and move plus tow/haul a load, I'm all for it.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I personally love my MDS for crusing on the highway. Got 21MPG through the mountain passes this past summer, and made my 725km trip on one tank, I was happy. 'Course, I disable it when I'm just bombing around town cuz I hate how it kills the power when you just need to goose it a bit. The pred stays in the truck where it belongs, and I just tune for the type of driving I'm gonna do.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie
Color: Black/silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
Jason Rose will become famous soon enough

Perhaps I need to get mine to the dealer and have it "flashed" as Iv'e read about to see if it's working properly. Another post that says they have MDS on the highway and even on hills... Makes me really suspect mine's not functioning correctly.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:47 PM

HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Best MPG I ever got, for a very limited time (about 15 miles) was on the 'beltway' in Houston one day. I had a strong tailwind and kept the truck in '4' mode constantly,,,

I got a sustained 24.5 MPG that time

I use my Cortex tuner to moniter the manifold air pressure and throttle position. (Manifold air pressure drops when you go from 4 to 8 mode.)
Again, I stayed in 4 mode all the time, kept the AP below 95-96 and throttle percentage at or below 20%. I was going between 60 and 70 MPH,,,, 'Roller coaster' effect on the small inclines,,,

No, it is 'not the norm',,,

I can get very easily get a sustained 20 mpg average traveling at the speed limit (65 or 70) on the roads around Houston. (45, 59, etc) 21 is not uncommon.

I do think that MDS is kind of a 'halfway' measure as far as efficiency. Dead cylinders do produce some parasitic loss,,, but its easier for the common consumer to accept an MDS equipped V-8 and 'know' he has the power than it is for him to accept a turbo or supercharged V-6,

Well, I seriously believe, barring any major malfunctions, the Ecoboost is going to change all that.

For that reason, I've looked at Fords A LOT here in the last 6 months,,,, I just can't warm up to the appearance, especially when I've already 'got what I got', BUT,,,,,

If the RAM I have now keeps treating me good, and Dodge slaps some twin turbo's on the pentastar,,,,, I can definately see my Hemi getting replaced!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Perhaps I need to get mine to the dealer and have it "flashed" as Iv'e read about to see if it's working properly. Another post that says they have MDS on the highway and even on hills... Makes me really suspect mine's not functioning correctly.
A lot of it depends on how many miles you have on your truck, your gearing, hills, headwinds, etc. I can get better MPG without cruise than I can with it because I can keep the truck in '4' mode longer than the CC will.

Mine will kick out of 4 mode 'at a moments notice' or with just a bit too much throttle at the 'wrong' time. It doesn't always seem so willing to go into 4 mode as it does to kick out. I have yet to pull much of an incline at all in 4 mode while perfectly maintaining my speed.

This 'driving style' may be more 'work' than some folks are willing to do,,, I don't drive that way every minute of every day, but it's nice to know it's there.

Flashed: I went in to get the HVAC flash done a couple months ago, and they had a flash that affected my 'ECO' light as well. (Damn thing stays lit long after it switches back into 8 mode,,, More of a 'driving economically' light than a 'MDS mode' light. I've since turned mine off in EVIC.)

If it's been 6 months or so since you've been 'flashed', you may consider checking with the stealer to make sure you are 'up to date'
Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Per the Dodge Eng the proper way (without a tuner) to disable MDS is to tap your shifter to left when its in drive. You should get a "5" on your EVIC. The trans will still shift up an down normally using all gears just without MDS. Only thing is you have to do this eveytime you start the truck.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 QuadCab
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft
Rep:68
Ostranza will become famous soon enough

I'm getting exactly 16mpg on my 2004 HEMI and I've seriously been driving like a hippie for the last month just to see how well I can do. Never putting the RPM's over 2000 and my commute is about 15miles every day. Only have a K&N FIPK under the hood as far as engine mods go...stock 2WD setup on OEM 20" rims...but that'll change soon as I find cheap rims/tires and lift the truck.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 QuadCab
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft
Rep:68
Ostranza will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHemi View Post
21 MPG hwy here. MDS? yep. Drone? None with my 24" Magnaflow.

Now, if you're trying to be 'cool' (?) and run a 'bubba-blaster' type exhaust system, well, MDS just isn't going to work for ya.

BUT!!!! Fear not, all yea haters of MDS,,, for the next 'fuel mizer' technology is not going to involve a V-8 that runs on 4 at times,,,

Believe it or not, ALL cylinders will fire ALL the time!!!!

One small catch,,,, I sure hope you think a V-6 sounds 'cool',,,

It's only a matter of time before a V-8 will not be available in a 1/2 ton.

How long????? Quicker than you think!!!!!

There is a 3.5 liter V-6 truck engine out today that pump out 365HP and 420 TQ, (that 420 is at 2500 rpm, too!),,, That's more HP than a 3rd gen Hemi and more TQ that the 4th Gen Hemi,,, It'll also get better MPG than any V-8 limping along in 4 mode,,,

Of course, Bubba won't be happy, (or cool!) but there will still be some old clunkers around somewhere that he can drive,,, Well, that is if he can afford $6 a gallon for the gas,,,

Have you heard about the all electric/engineless Lightning overseas? Its actually got one motor per wheel and "sounds" like a throaty V12 or something because it has a "soundbox" linked to the gas petal.

Can't sound mean silently driving thru the streets right?