DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
tonneaucovered.com
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 11-18-2015, 05:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
riffin-rich is on a distinguished road
Default Tuners on 2016 Ram 1500's ... ?

Forgive me, folks. I know nothing about the topic and tried reading/researching but it's too difficult a topic. Can anyone distill this for me? I did read something about "rolling codes" rendering tuners unusable. Is this the case?

For what it's worth, I'm not interested in more horsepower. I only want to detune power to maximize fuel economy for daily driving, and then select factory programming for when I need the power to tow. Any such thing?

Many thanks!
Rich
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: 15 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4
Color: Blue Streak Metallic
Rep:1195
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

You would be hard pressed to get a tuner that will yield any kind of real MPG increase. you are better off just keeping your foot out of it and keeping your warranty.

And 2016's have not been decoded yet. On 2015's, the encryption is so difficult to break (and rotates every few seconds or something) that HemiFever decided to just offer unlocked Engine Control Unit's with their tuners so you can just do an ECU swap and then tune.

That costs $1,099.99.

Not sure about you but I can buy a lot of fuel with a thousand bucks, and the truck has plenty of power for me...so I won't be purchasing a tuner anytime soon knowing I have to change my trucks computer....that scares the bejeezus out of me.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4. 50k Miles...LOADED...BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A, Mufflex Muffler Delete, Mopar spray-in Liner, Mopar Mud Flaps, 20% tint, Mopar Side Steps, TruXedo Roll-up Soft Tonneau, MaxMate Stainless Brush Guard, 10k Lumen 22" Solidex LED Bar, DZ Tailgate assist, Total Load Control, AVS Visors and Bug Shield, K&N Drop-In, XenonDepot 5000k HID Headlamps in projectors.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500 4x4 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Laramie-Loaded 408Ci
Color: Bright Metalic Silver
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:69
striker2237 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to striker2237

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
You would be hard pressed to get a tuner that will yield any kind of real MPG increase. you are better off just keeping your foot out of it and keeping your warranty.

And 2016's have not been decoded yet. On 2015's, the encryption is so difficult to break (and rotates every few seconds or something) that HemiFever decided to just offer unlocked Engine Control Unit's with their tuners so you can just do an ECU swap and then tune.

That costs $1,099.99.

Not sure about you but I can buy a lot of fuel with a thousand bucks, and the truck has plenty of power for me...so I won't be purchasing a tuner anytime soon knowing I have to change my trucks computer....that scares the bejeezus out of me.
This all the way, you have to get en entirely separate ECU setup to even have hope of tuning the 2015s (my dad found this out the hard way) and honestly if you de-tune the power you WILL get worse mpg. To get better mpg you NEED to maximize the VE factor of an engine, not lower it.
Mods: OEM tonneau cover+bug deflector+bedliner+floormats+hitch light+fuel door, Stubby antenna, 900CA AGM battery, Silverstar lights, Front window tint, Cabin filter, Bilstein 4600s, Kicker stage 1, Rear wheel liners, Mopar valve covers+breather, Pacesetter wrapped headers, Custom midpipe, Magnaflow X-pipe+custom axleback, SSBC front brakes+Powerstop rear, Moog front suspension+hubs, Maval custom rack, Borgeson steering shaft, Stainless steel brake lines, Hellwig front/rear sway bars, Poly bushings, Custom springs, Hydroboost
Old 11-22-2015, 05:41 PM
US Army Retired

ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Honestly, the way these trucks are designed, with CAFE standards going up, if FCA could squeeze even 1 more MPG out of the truck, they would have. The best fuel economy you are going to get is with a lightweight foot and a completely stock truck.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4. 50k Miles...LOADED...BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A, Mufflex Muffler Delete, Mopar spray-in Liner, Mopar Mud Flaps, 20% tint, Mopar Side Steps, TruXedo Roll-up Soft Tonneau, MaxMate Stainless Brush Guard, 10k Lumen 22" Solidex LED Bar, DZ Tailgate assist, Total Load Control, AVS Visors and Bug Shield, K&N Drop-In, XenonDepot 5000k HID Headlamps in projectors.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:10
riffin-rich is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Honestly, the way these trucks are designed, with CAFE standards going up, if FCA could squeeze even 1 more MPG out of the truck, they would have. The best fuel economy you are going to get is with a lightweight foot and a completely stock truck.
I can't help but think back to my 7.3L PowerStroke. Loved that thing. But a buddy bought a tuner for his same truck and got 3-4mpg better gas mileage. Then when he needed to tow his 30' camper into the mountains (we lived in Colorado Springs), he changed the program for some boost (which honestly wasn't needed but he liked to do it because he could). Anyway, it's all good. Thanks for getting back! - Rich
Old 11-23-2015, 11:43 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500 4x4 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Laramie-Loaded 408Ci
Color: Bright Metalic Silver
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:69
striker2237 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to striker2237

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffin-rich View Post
I can't help but think back to my 7.3L PowerStroke. Loved that thing. But a buddy bought a tuner for his same truck and got 3-4mpg better gas mileage. Then when he needed to tow his 30' camper into the mountains (we lived in Colorado Springs), he changed the program for some boost (which honestly wasn't needed but he liked to do it because he could). Anyway, it's all good. Thanks for getting back! - Rich
Diesels are a totally different story compared to gas engines.
Mods: OEM tonneau cover+bug deflector+bedliner+floormats+hitch light+fuel door, Stubby antenna, 900CA AGM battery, Silverstar lights, Front window tint, Cabin filter, Bilstein 4600s, Kicker stage 1, Rear wheel liners, Mopar valve covers+breather, Pacesetter wrapped headers, Custom midpipe, Magnaflow X-pipe+custom axleback, SSBC front brakes+Powerstop rear, Moog front suspension+hubs, Maval custom rack, Borgeson steering shaft, Stainless steel brake lines, Hellwig front/rear sway bars, Poly bushings, Custom springs, Hydroboost
Old 11-24-2015, 01:41 AM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:649
Thunderhorse is a name known to allThunderhorse is a name known to allThunderhorse is a name known to allThunderhorse is a name known to allThunderhorse is a name known to allThunderhorse is a name known to all

Yeah, plus how old were those trucks, 20 years old with the 7.3?

Thunderhorse-Built: 25 Feb 2013 Warren, Michigan; Bought: 28 May 2013
Huskyliner Weatherbeaters, door edge guards, Line-X bedliner, Kryptek Typhon Cordura seat covers w/ MOLLE panels (review), Console Vault (install/review), Bilstein 4600s (thread), BFG T/A KO2 LT275/60/20s (thread), Matte black Plasti-dipped center console bezel, BT catch can, Corsa 14405 cat back (video) Tuftruck 1223V progressive rear coils.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:43 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Rep:682
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

thought chrysler was going to come out with their own chips. just an internet myth?
Old 11-30-2015, 11:40 PM
US Army Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker2237 View Post
Diesels are a totally different story compared to gas engines.
This^
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
thought chrysler was going to come out with their own chips. just an internet myth?
Yes.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram Power Wagon
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Cherry Red
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:57
MountainRam06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
Yeah, plus how old were those trucks, 20 years old with the 7.3?
Jeez you are making me feel OLD! I bought a new F350 7.3 in 1999... The made it until 2003 when they switched to the 6. oh no. The first ones where in the '87's I think, similar to the 6.9 offered in the early eighties.

I agree with the others, don't bother spending $1000 on a tuner, I seriously doubt it would have enough positive effect to make it worthwhile. I would suggest exhaust could improve efficiency some but that usually backfires because drivers like the sound too much.