DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Express 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: exspress
Color: cherry pearl red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
nitro1965 is on a distinguished road
Default what programmer gives more hp /tq superchip #3865 or diablo predator

my wife asked me what i wanted for christmas and i told her a programmer for my truck . it comes down to these two the superchip #3865 and the diablo predator. i have a 2006 quad cab 5.7 hemi 4x4. basic mods like a k&n cold air intake , 50 hd flowmaster, with those two or three resinators taken off my exhaust. (i think thats what they are called).with the programmer i am looking to get the most performance hp /tq out of them . i do not plan on doing any internal engine work or tranny work. if anybody has any comparisons between the two programmers that show the hp/tq gains that would be helpfull with my decision....thank-you

Last edited by nitro1965; 12-08-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
adamhills is on a distinguished road

Your question is the exact reason I signed up for this forum. I am tired of stompin on the throttle and getting nothing until the computer decides it wants to let the truck get up and go. I look forward to any answer you may get.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 2500 Megacab
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:167
jpaul51 has a spectacular aura aboutjpaul51 has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhills View Post
Your question is the exact reason I signed up for this forum. I am tired of stompin on the throttle and getting nothing until the computer decides it wants to let the truck get up and go. I look forward to any answer you may get.
I run the Diablo Sport Predator and really love it! I have been running it for about 2 years and would not trade it for anything!
2007 Ram 1500 QC - SOLD and bought a 2009 4x4 Megacab 2500 with 6.7 Cummins. Full Sinister EGR/Throttle Valve/dpf deletes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Banks cold air intake, EFI Live tuning by Anarchy Diesel running 100hp Street tune. Peragon bed cover.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 2500 Megacab
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:167
jpaul51 has a spectacular aura aboutjpaul51 has a spectacular aura about

Here are some actual results from MADDOG when he got his DSP.... Thanks MADDOG for your post! I think it will help others!

OK...so here's the next set of mods.

I purchased a couple of items for the truck. First, a simple drop in K&N filter. I'll use this for now until I decide what intake to go with.

Next, I went to my favorite speed and tuning shop in Portland, Performance Race Engineering. They tuned my SRT8 last year with great results.

I dropped in the filter then the great guys at PRE strapped the Ram to the dyno.

We did a baseline dyno pull and all I gotta say is ugh...what a dog...LOL Here's how they strapped it down in the back.

I had made arrangements to upgrade the truck and they had the tools ready, a DiabloSport Predator U7137:

I wasn't looking to get a lot of HP but did want some more torque and better driveability. I also wanted to correct the speedo error for the larger wheels and tires. I got all of that for sure and one other bonus feature, better shifting with a bit of an increase in transmission line pressure.

Here's the dyno charts. I saw a HP and torque increases across the board, it comes on a bit sooner and my Air/Fuel ratio is now spot on.

I'm seeing more HP and torque at lower RPM's so that's a good thing!

Now, Air / Fuel Ratio. This was important to me as I know how lean a stock engine runs. For those of you not up on the term, it simply means how much fuel is being fed into the engine in relation (ratio) to how much air.

The 5.7L HEMI (and 6.1L for that matter) stock program runs at 14.1 A/F in static mode, i.e., when at idle or at steady state cruise. 14.1 A/F is a lean mixture, i.e., lower fuel to air ratio. Lean is good for mileage, not good for power. The stock program will add fuel to the mix as the engine demands but it does not always add enough to hit optimum A/F for power. And it waits a long time before it does it, keeping the engine lean at WOT for too long, robbing it of power and inducing knock retard.

The HEMI seems to like a 12.5 to 12.8 A/F.

Therefore, your HEMI is pretty close to reading knock at WOT and the computer will pull fuel and timing to avoid engine damage. The MOPAR stock program is pretty conservative and aggressive with respects to knock retard.

With the Predator 91 octane tune installed, A/F improves considerably and gets it into the "sweet spot" for the HEMI. What's cool about the Predator tool is that if the canned tunes don't get you there, there's an option to add (if it's still in a lean condition) or delete fuel (if it's too rich - haven't seen that happen much with a stock program on the HEMI) to hit the sweet spot.

In the chart below, the line that starts right at the 14.1 measurement is the stock program. It almost stays there the entire time and it's way too lean. It dropped down below 12 way up in the RPM range. That means it was running lean almost to redline and it was knocking, then it got very rich.

The line above that, starting at around 14.6 A/F, is the Predator tune measurement. It starts to drop almost immediately and hits the sweet spot right at where the engine is designed make max HP. I won't have to add any more fuel.

So, in perusing the dyno sheet carefully, the truck went from 240 lb ft @ 4800 rpm to 295 lb ft @ 3750 rpm (that's 55 lb ft improvement and it comes lower) and from 230 hp @ 4800 to 275 HP @ 3400 (that's 45 HP improvement and it comes lower in the rpm band).

Anyway, enough of the technical discourse, here's the chart.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results. Eventually, I'll go back to PRE and get a CMR tune for some fine tweaking and more power.

2007 Ram 1500 QC - SOLD and bought a 2009 4x4 Megacab 2500 with 6.7 Cummins. Full Sinister EGR/Throttle Valve/dpf deletes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Banks cold air intake, EFI Live tuning by Anarchy Diesel running 100hp Street tune. Peragon bed cover.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:222
BLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura about

Diablo without question, you have so many options with this programmer. The canned tunes that are on them work really well, then if you really want to make some power get it dyno tuned. There is where everything can be tweaked for your conditions, set-up etc etc.

"MPG???...I get Smiles Per Gallon!"
2010 RAM SPORT CC 4x4 Hemi
Diablo Tuner, Mufflex 14, Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks, 3.5 lift, 35 in mud tires
Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM
erm

I really do recommend the DS Predator. I have two HEMI powered vehicles and the real world results I have realized in both really make me feel like I got what I paid for and then some.

The programming options, the flexibility for custom tunes, the actual gains all lead me to recommend this tool for anyone with a HEMI.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 08 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearl
Rep:119
ICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enoughICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO

What is that Gas Programmer that BullyDog makes? My buddy has it and it is probably the one I will be getting.... someday. :lol:
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 07 Flame Red QC
Trim Level: Sport-R/T
Color: Flame Red
Rep:51
raceram9 will become famous soon enough

superchips cortex
2007 RAM QC FLAME RED,20s, 3.92 rear Vararam CAI, Cherrybomb vortex mufflers dumped out in front of rear tires, Superchips Cortex, R/T badges on grill and tailgate custom designed stripes and hood vinyl.....and more to come
Old 12-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Donge Ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: black
Rep:10
grubby is on a distinguished road

the one that bully dog makes is called the gt tuner
thats what i put on my truck but i have it on the middle setting and i cant really tell a diffrence in it
Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 AM

Vehicle: 2004 RCSB 4x4 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blizzard white
Rep:23
MoparerNocar is on a distinguished road

I ran a super chips at one point, and now run a DSP. Only thing I noticed with the superchip was that when I romped on it, it down shifted faster. The dsp seemed to down shift slower, but at the 2500+rpm mark, it seemed to actually get up and go a bit faster.