DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2015 ram 1500
Rep:14
95Adjutant is on a distinguished road
Default Turning off MDS-WOW!!!!!

I have a 2015 Ram LoneStar with the 5.7 Hemi.

Ive driven it for 2 weeks without really knowing or caring about MDS. I knew that it would save me fuel.

I just turned it off for the first time this morning. HOLY COW!!!! Its like a whole new engine. When I step on the gas to merge or just for the hell of it, the truck just jumps forward like a beast. Totally new experience!!

I have a vararam and 87mm ported throttle body from Moes on the way.

I CANNOT wait to add these too!

Once I get confirmation that the Diablosport Trinity will work for a 2015, it'll be purchased!
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2015, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram R/T
Rep:10
Aggie86 is on a distinguished road

Do you mean you temporarily disabled by manually selecting grars?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 2wd
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
Gothemi89 is on a distinguished road

I'm assuming that's what he was doing as he said once the Trinity covers his year he will be ordering one.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:56 PM

Vehicle: 2015 ram 1500
Rep:14
95Adjutant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie86 View Post
Do you mean you temporarily disabled by manually selecting grars?
Yeah,
Just running through the gears on the steering wheel. It takes all of 1.5 seconds, and 7 presses.

The exhaust note is more pronounced too. Im assuming those were the times the MDS was kicking in. Now its just a nice growl
Old 01-21-2015, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

MDS can engage at any time over 28 MPH, but it only engages when your transmission has shifted into its highest gear & using a steady throttle
as long as you are picking up speed, it will not engage
Just like it won't engage when you are climbing anything over the smallest grade or using tow/haul mode
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-22-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Adjutant View Post
Yeah,
Just running through the gears on the steering wheel. It takes all of 1.5 seconds, and 7 presses.

The exhaust note is more pronounced too. Im assuming those were the times the MDS was kicking in. Now its just a nice growl
Thanks, I will have to give that a try.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 1492 Santa Maria
Color: Hot pink
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:135
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
MDS can engage at any time over 28 MPH, but it only engages when your transmission has shifted into its highest gear & using a steady throttle

That sounds a lot like my 09, / 5 speed / 3.92 RCSB,,,

My 14 / 8 speed / 3.21 QC engages more frequently/stays engaged longer, does so in several gears,,, especially in town,,, Quite a bit more than the 09 ever did,,,
Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram QC
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:37
EmmDee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Just like it won't engage when you are climbing anything over the smallest grade or using tow/haul mode
I don't know how the tow/haul mode affects MDS on 2013 or earlier models, but on my 2014 engaging tow/haul has no effect on the MDS coming on or off. Here's a pix showing "ECO" and "Tow/Haul" on at the same time. I know the MDS was on because of the sound and feel, and I know tow/haul was on based on how it was choosing the shift points.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-27-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDee View Post
I don't know how the tow/haul mode affects MDS on 2013 or earlier models, but on my 2014 engaging tow/haul has no effect on the MDS coming on or off. Here's a pix showing "ECO" and "Tow/Haul" on at the same time. I know the MDS was on because of the sound and feel, and I know tow/haul was on based on how it was choosing the shift points.

[IMG][/IMG]
The Eco light being illuminated does not necessarily mean that your MDS is active. I think the Eco light works alot like the Fuel Economy lights in older vehicles that work off of vacum. The way Ive noticed it on my 14 R/T (my driving style prevents it from coming on very often ) if the MDS is active, the ECO light is always on but conversley, if the Eco light is on the MDS may or may not be on depending on the driving paramaters necessary for MDS to engage MDS being met.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram QC
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:37
EmmDee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie86 View Post
The Eco light being illuminated does not necessarily mean that your MDS is active. I think the Eco light works alot like the Fuel Economy lights in older vehicles that work off of vacum. The way Ive noticed it on my 14 R/T (my driving style prevents it from coming on very often ) if the MDS is active, the ECO light is always on but conversley, if the Eco light is on the MDS may or may not be on depending on the driving paramaters necessary for MDS to engage MDS being met.
In this case where I was trying to get a picture I was not actually looking at the EVIC when I took the picture. I feel the slight vibration and hear the sound when MDS activates...and it definitely was activated when this picture was made. These trucks are just really big rolling computers now so I can even begin to figure out all the stuff going on. I'll try it again at slower speeds where the MDS is very noticeable during very slight acceleration.