DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:16
jj ram is on a distinguished road
Default Tire pressure sensor flashing

Hello guys,
Starting to get cold and snowy up here. Yesterday when I started it up and drove away the tire sensor light came on it flashed on the EVIC showing the back rear tire flashing and at 227 KPa (sorry this is the Canada measurement, I actually prefer PSI, and have no idea if 227 is or )

The other tires where at 234 KPa. As I drove the front tires warmed I believe to around 241 and the back stayed at 234, both of the rear tires but the back left continues to flash, even though the other rear is running at the same pressure.

So is it possible that the sensor is frozen or something? I will take it to refill the nitrogen I guess and see if it goes away. BTW, if I don't go to my dealership, will another dealer refill this for free, do I have to make an appointment?

Nitrogen and these tire pressure monitors seem like they are going to be a pain in cold winters
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:57
AKFossil will become famous soon enough

Hmmm... Nitrogen is supposed to be better in colder climates from what I understand because it has less variances at temperature changes. So I would guess you may have a slow leak or a kid letting air out of your tires.
2010 Dodge Crew Cab Inferno Red: HID Low Beams & Fog Lights 6000K, LED Interior Lights, LED License Plate Lights, Black Nerf Bars, AVS Bug & Window Deflectors, K&N Drop In Filter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, MagnaFlow Muffler

Thinking about: New Wheels, and leveling kit.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what tire shops that carry nitrogen will charge you, but, unless the dealership gives it away, the tire shop will likely be cheaper

tire shops that use nitrogen can tell you what the problem is, whether it is just a bit low & setting off the sensor, the sensor itself, or a leak

Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:166
Wildcat has a spectacular aura aboutWildcat has a spectacular aura about

Read your manual. It can take up to 15 minutes of running at normal pressure before it goes off. Mine did this. Drove it, and got up to normal pressure. Turned off the truck, turned it back on, and the light was no longer flashing.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

From the reading on here that I have done it's okay to top them up with normal air (which is 78% nitrogen anyway). That's what I have been doing and no TPMS warning light yet. Oh and BTW, you can switch the EVIC to show "english" units by selecting all the way down and cursor right on the steering wheel controls. Then go back to PSI and you will see normal lbs/sqin.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport CC
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:39
hardcharger is on a distinguished road

241 kPa = 35 PSI (roughly 7 kPa = 1 PSI), so you were only down to 33 PSI, so the TPMS shouldn't have gone off.

@RansRAM... english units on the EVIC would be ok except for the temperature in Fahrenheit - that makes even less sense than kPa to me!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj ram View Post
Hello guys,
Starting to get cold and snowy up here. Yesterday when I started it up and drove away the tire sensor light came on it flashed on the EVIC showing the back rear tire flashing and at 227 KPa (sorry this is the Canada measurement, I actually prefer PSI, and have no idea if 227 is or )

The other tires where at 234 KPa. As I drove the front tires warmed I believe to around 241 and the back stayed at 234, both of the rear tires but the back left continues to flash, even though the other rear is running at the same pressure.

So is it possible that the sensor is frozen or something? I will take it to refill the nitrogen I guess and see if it goes away. BTW, if I don't go to my dealership, will another dealer refill this for free, do I have to make an appointment?

Nitrogen and these tire pressure monitors seem like they are going to be a pain in cold winters
Nothing to worry about, mine did the same thing when it got cold here, the nitrogen isn't as stable as they would have you believe, if you scroll down to I think "units" on the evic, you can select "standard" instead of metric....I think that's right, anyway, you will beable to read your tire pressure in PSI then. When 3 of my tires reached 34 PSI, it set off the TPMS, no big deal, I enquired and its no big deal to top off with regular air. I filled them to 40 PSI, that's what is recomended for the tires on the inside of my door and the drove the truck for about 15 minutes, it reset and no more alarm. Now that it reached a balmy -28 celcius last night, they settled in at 39 PSI, a tad stiff for ride, but a decent margin from setting off the TPMS again.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:16
jj ram is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking there might be a problem with the sensors. Now the front left and back left are flashing. The fronts both run at 241. The backs both run at 238.

So if I can top them off with air, then I will try to put them at 40 psi and see what happens.

BTW I have driven the truck for 1 hour on the highway for the last couple days and the sensor has not gone off.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj ram View Post
I'm thinking there might be a problem with the sensors. Now the front left and back left are flashing. The fronts both run at 241. The backs both run at 238.

So if I can top them off with air, then I will try to put them at 40 psi and see what happens.

BTW I have driven the truck for 1 hour on the highway for the last couple days and the sensor has not gone off.
I can't recall off hand what the lower limit in "kpa" was that set mine off, all I remember reading when I read off in "psi" it was at 34 on the evic display, that's when they started to blink. Now when you say the sensor has not gone off after driving for an hour, are you meaning the blinking hasn't stopped or the blinking along with the low tire insignia on your instrument cluster HAS stopped. All I know is if you take a tire pressure gauge and fill your tires to 40 psi, if that is what's called for on the inside of your driver door and drive it for 15 or 20 minutes, the indication and warning should cease and everything should be normal. Hope that helps. Keep in mind that I have the 265/70R/17's on mine, so 40 psi was recommended, I'm sure that the TPMS is set to that.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:398
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

Mine did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, it didn't stop flashing until I added air to them.
2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats