DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Metallic Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Nutshell is on a distinguished road
Default 4th Gen efan questions

Like the title says. yes, I read through all 16 pages of the previous thread on this. A couple of questions to the guys who did this mod.

Is there any added noise/vibration with the V6 fan?
Is the V6 fan truly 2 speed? If seen conflicting info about that.
Has anyone done this with a stock stat & PCU? If so, how were the gains?
Has anyone deleted the mechanical fan and just reprogrammed the PCU?

I want to do this but mod but keep my stock stat and reprogram the fan. All this talk about Thermal Management in the 2011+ models has me thinking to keep the stat but install the V6 fan and reprogram with my Diablo (coming next week).

Thanks guys.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 AM

Vehicle: 2013 ram crew cab Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport/laramie
Color: Black beauty
Rep:43
RAMinator13 is on a distinguished road

Im intrested also
2013 RAM CC Sport 4x4 - 6spd 3.55 Anti-spin diff. MODS: 35x12.5r20 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ - Rough Country Level 2.5 front & 1.5 rear - Airaid MXP Cold Air - Magnaflow Magnapack 4x14 & Magnaflow True Flow Y pipe mod- 20x9 Ballistic Razorbacks
Old 02-03-2014, 06:38 PM

I figured more people did this mod....
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutshell View Post
Like the title says. yes, I read through all 16 pages of the previous thread on this. A couple of questions to the guys who did this mod.

Is there any added noise/vibration with the V6 fan?
No added noise of vibration, I can't even hear the fan kicking in compared to the clutch fan.

Is the V6 fan truly 2 speed? If seen conflicting info about that.
Yes it's 2 speed, I can alter the high/low setting with my trinity.

Has anyone done this with a stock stat & PCU? If so, how were the gains?
Can't say, I did the swap with a stock t-stat originally but had the trinity from day 1. I didn't do it for gains, I did it to free up underhood room for the supercharger.

Has anyone deleted the mechanical fan and just reprogrammed the PCU?
If you mean have just the small e-fan in the shroud then don't do this... it doesn't move nearly enough CFM and you can overheat your engine if you drive slow/idle for long periods.

I want to do this but mod but keep my stock stat and reprogram the fan. All this talk about Thermal Management in the 2011+ models has me thinking to keep the stat but install the V6 fan and reprogram with my Diablo (coming next week).

This is what you should do, t-stat is a helping mod in hot climates or performance engines, won't make any difference with basic bolt-ons. The DS will allow you to change the fan settings, but if you're not running a colder t-stat then no need to reprogram.

Thanks guys.
See red above.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
See red above.
Thanks CD. Appreciate the response. Did you go with OEM fan or aftermarket?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I priced out the two and the Mopar fan is three times the price, even with my family discount (brother's a parts guy at local dealership). I ordered the TYC one from RockAuto for something like $140 shipped, just make sure you order the 3.7L fan assembly and not the a/c helper fan.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I disagree with a portion of the above^ (sorry Kurtis...)

I ran the stock efan with stock shroud with no mechanical clutch fan and it was fine. I reprogrammed the efan settings though. From what I can tell the v6 efan is literally exactly the same as the stock v8 efan, except it has a built in shroud. I found the stock setup to be better than the efan alone as even though the efan alone worked fine it fluctuated temp more, and didn't free up any noticeable power(still takes hp to run the alternator/efan). Granted, the v6 efan is shrouded better, but I believe the stock hybrid setup is best. I do however run an advertised 180 tstat(which in actuality is really a ~190 tstat). IMO the only benefit is freeing up room. The hybrid setup also has redundancy which is more reliable(I know some don't care about this, but if it's your daily driver or work horse this has benefits).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 AM

Sean, no issues with Thermal Management with the 180 stat?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

What do you mean by thermal management? Is that the louvers, etc on the newer models?

My "180" tstat actually cracks open at ~190 deg F. I tested it before install. IIRC it cracked open just under 190 deg F and was full open just over 190 deg F. My truck normally operates right at 190(on cold days) and mid to high 190's (on hot days). Very rarely ever gets over 200 deg F anymore, although if towing in the mountains or something like that it will.

No issues at all.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 AM

Vehicle: 2014 RCSB 8sp/3.21 geared Ram
Trim Level: Sport lowered 4X4
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:488
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
What do you mean by thermal management? Is that the louvers, etc on the newer models?

My "180" tstat actually cracks open at ~190 deg F. I tested it before install. IIRC it cracked open just under 190 deg F and was full open just over 190 deg F. My truck normally operates right at 190(on cold days) and mid to high 190's (on hot days). Very rarely ever gets over 200 deg F anymore, although if towing in the mountains or something like that it will.

No issues at all.

The 13's changed alot Sean,they use the tranny bypass valve to keep the tranny up at engine oil operating temps etc.,even with-out the shutters.
Things changed bigtime from your 2010 to the 2013's
I'd say your 180 T-stat is miss labelled,and is actually a 192.
By 190 a 180 T-stat should be fully open,not just starting to open

Last edited by Hornet; 02-05-2014 at 08:33 AM.