DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > HI-TECH Discussion

Notices

HI-TECH Discussion Web, computers, software, GPS, satellite TV, home stereos and other non-vehicle hi tech electronics.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:42
ccga3359 is on a distinguished road
Default Just bought a TomTom GPS

I just bought my first TomTom. Before this I had a Garmin. While setting it up I decided to have all gas stations showing on the map (hey I drive a Hemi, that's important info). Now I always buy Esso gas (Exxon in the US, I think). I noticed that all the gas station icons show a little gas pump except for Shell, they show their little Shell logo. Now I refuse to buy shell gasa ever since they screwed up my wife's fuel sender in her old Neon because of an additive they used. Why only Shell logos I wonder so I sufed over to Wikipaedia to search TomTom and sure enough it's a Dutch company. Things that make you say hmmmn. You see Shell's full name is Royal Dutch Shell!
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting to know that TomTom is Dutch, and as for shell, they are co-op'd with royal dutch, but in the states and canada, they are technically separate entities: ex. Shell Canada, but they are partnered internationally with Royal Dutch Shell. But that's not the point, that shell comes up specifically with it's logo is an interesting coincidence.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crewcab 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Email: Chili1k@att.net
Rep:1092
Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of

My question is how does it work.. better than garmin? im curious cuz im thinking of getting one.. maybe adding to stock radio.. not sure yet...
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 AM

I got the 2505 model which is the 1005 model in Europe. That get's confusing at times going online for help and such. It's TT's top of the line model and is cheaper than Garmins top of the line model ($150 less). I spent a little more for lifetime maps and traffic, garmin also offers this in some of it's models. I'd recommend lifetime maps (upto 4 ti mes a year with garmin). I bought also for it's bluetooth and to replace my older Garmin. Boots up quick, easy user interface, some voice control features that seems to work quite well (for nav and phone). paired with my Motorola phone easily and carried over my phonebook.

Navigation works very well, I can pick up a dozen sattelites sitting in my dining room 25' away from the closest window! It has lane infomation (shows you what lane to be in when highways split. Gives you the option of toll roads or not. For the bad, my old Garmin has the option to navigate to a business by name search, with TT you don't have that option so you'd better know the address. When the poi is something like a gas station or hotel then you're in business by searching by name and get's info like phone number so you can call ahead to make reservations with a click of a button (touchscreen)

No problems with the bluetooth. it searches for my phone upon boot up so I only had to pair it the once. I can hear conversation ok, don't know if the other party can hear me so well, I'm just going to have to locate the unit closer to me.

This particular unit is new and has been rushed to market for Christmas. As of yet it fully supported b y software. I can connect the unit to my computer for updates but to fully utilize the system (download voices and such) TT has TomTomHome. This unit cannot yet connect through that which is downright a pissoff. There are things I want to change and I can't with no indication of when I will be able to. I purchased a voice package (Darth Vader) for $14 that I cannot upload to my unit and may never be able to. It was only after a long time searching that I found this out!

I'm torn, yes the navigation is quick and good, yes the bluetooth works good. I'm thinking I should've stayed with garmin had the model i was looking at had lifetime maps. It's pretty crappy for TomTom to rush this product to market without the support. I've trusted garmin on my marine rescue boat and on my hand held. I was less impressed with my original Garmin compared to TT of the time but I feel garmin has come back to reclaim the title of best GPS reciever. When tomTom does get things worked out I am confident that it will be a top notch unit also.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crewcab 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Email: Chili1k@att.net
Rep:1092
Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of

Very good.. nice to know.. ill figure out what i wantto do.. but torn on which route to go.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili1K View Post
Very good.. nice to know.. ill figure out what i wantto do.. but torn on which route to go.
Here's what I would've done if it wasn't so expensive in Canada!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700AVN5...earch=5200+nav
Old 12-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought the
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Nu...tem-P2052.aspx

it has lifetime traffic

a friend of mine just bought a different unit, its more for semi trucks, made by Rand McNally, it is a great unit & does so damn much, he was at a truck stop & a employee sold it to him for $50 they sell for $350
http://www.dieselboss.com/Travrout/r...tnd500_gps.htm
http://trucking.randmcnally.com/cton...nd_details.jsp
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 12-15-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Good report on the Tom Tom.

One irritating thing I've found with the traffic reporting is that while its free, it has pop-up advertising that last for about 10sec every so often.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"