DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram SLT 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Atlantic Pearl Blue Metallic
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:75
jayhkr will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jayhkr
Default Gas fill up and engine light then higher rpm's

Hey all, been a while since I've been on so I hope everyone's Dodge is doing good. Don't forget to get it something good for Christmas!! As we all know this time of year the gas companies change the additives in their fuel to a winter blend. I'm sure it's something about the temperatures our vehicles have to endure much like the different weights of oils that are out there. My issue lies with this: I work horrible hours this time of year (I work at Toys R Us). I work 6 3/4 days a week which leaves very little time to do anything else. So when I get off work the last thing I want to do is fill up my truck. Well it was a super hard week last week for me and I let the fuel get WAY low, like beyond what I've ever done before. I pulled in to a Quick Trip and filled up. Now, I have a 26 gallon tank and have only once been able to put a full 26 gallons in it. I know there is usually a gallon or so in the neck. Well last night I filled up and put 27.122 gallons in! I was shocked at this. Then this morning my check engine light comes on. Now I've had this happen to me before in other vehicles and and rechecked the gas cap. All was tight but the light is still on. Hopefully after this tank it will kick itself back off. Now the other shocker this morning was going to work I drive a very conservative 63 mph and my rpms usually rest around 17-1800. This morning after letting my truck warm up for 5 minutes my rpms were up to 22-2300 rpms at the same speed. Wind was not a factor and nothing abnormal about anything else. So why this jump in rpms? Is it fuel related, could it be this cold weather, was it just a fluke? What do you guys think? Merry Christmas everyone and have a safe and Happy New Year!!
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
xlr82x is on a distinguished road

Pull the negative off your battery to reset that check engine light. Before doing that i would get a reading done just to see what your computer is spitting out. I would bet that you probably threw a code about running lean. I would have to say this is probably more fuel related.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If the cap wan't put on tightly or for some other reason it didn't seal the system, the MIL could be for an evap leak and that's why it didn't turn on until this morning. The small leak test is only ran with the engine off and the vehicle sitting for an extended period. The transmission may not be locking up the converter due to cold fluid temps and this would explain the higher RPM's.

If you have the codes read, clear them with the scan tool. No need to wipe out your radio presets and other preferences by disconnecting the battery.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

I didn't think we were supposed to fill up into the neck- stop when the pump quits. Wouldn't that trip a code?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:42 PM

I filled her up just like I always have, to the top. I know that's now suppose to be the best for fuel econ, but like I said I have some crazy hours so if I can get by an extra day or so without making a stop that's what I do. I'll take it to Advance Auto, they do free diag. tests I think.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Overfilling can send gas into your charcoal canister and trip an EVAP code. Advance will scan your computer, but it depends on who scans it if they will reset it(I think their policy is not to reset). If it is an EVAP code, they will probably try to sell you a new gas cap.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:10 AM

Yeah, I'm not buying anything till I put at least two more tank fulls in. After that, if the problem still persists, I'll do the negative terminal and reset my 2 stations on my radio and be good with it. If it comes back, well it's under extended warranty at least.