DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ridetheworld is on a distinguished road
Default 2010 Ram - 3000 miles in 5 days review.

I recently drove across the country WA-NC in my new Ram 1500 Bighorn Edition. The only thing I have done to the truck is to add weathertechs in the front and rear, a Class IV hitch, ITBC, and a Line-X liner. It had about 1700 miles on it before I drove 3000 miles in 5 days last week. I will be making the same 3000 mile trip next week. Here is my review on the truck.

1. Engine - 10/10: The engine is very powerful and smooth, great power delivery across all RPM bands. I drove through the Mountains and rolling hills of Northern Idaho, Western Montana and South Dakota. I was hauling about 1500 lbs in gear and never felt that my 5500lb truck was underpowered. Mileage was less than expected at 16mpg, but that is most likely due to me cruising at 75-80mph often into headwinds.

2. Transmission - 3/10: The transmission in this truck is horrid. I was extremely dissapointed from the transmission on the trip. It is very, very clunky, often fails to downshift until you really press the pedal down, and when it does jolts the entire truck forward. There is a significant pause as the truck downshifts and when power is delivered, it comes in a very scary and jerky way. I also had several issues trying to control the transmission manually. I attempted to change into the proper gear before a hill. The "manual mode" would only respond around one time out of every three pushes. I would often find myself at the hill before it finally kicked in, which would result in an unsettling downshift. I had issues with this the entire way across the mountains. I also had issues engaging the manual mode in the first place. I am still having issues with downshifting, especially when going up hills. I have a pause and then a very unsettling power delivery. Pretty dissapointed in this transmission overall. I am glad that I didn't haul the 5k lb trailer that I had planned on. I think the tranny would have fallen out somewhere in SD.

3. Comfort and conveniences - 9/10: The seats were very comfortable, I have the standard seats. My truck is a Big Horn Edition. The heated mirrors came in handy as well as the lights on the outside and in the bed. Everything is easily within reach and well placed. Having Sirius was awesome. I didn't touch the FM button the entire way. The standard lights are pretty poor, I was keeping a good eye out for deer in Iowa and other areas. I didn't feel that they provided adequate lighting. I was however impressed with the brightness of the fog lights.

Overall I am pretty impressed with this truck. If this is just the way the transmission is I may just learn to live with it. If anyone thinks my transmission has issues or I am using it wrong then feel free to share that as well.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
BlackCattle is on a distinguished road

Great Post. Very useful information...
Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Sport 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:53
Rattlecan will become famous soon enough

I'd be dropping that truck off at the dealers today! I was thinking how much of an improvement this transmission was over the Chevy's I've owned.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I think your transmission complaints are more from the programming (thank you CARB, EPA, government in general) to squeeze out every last MPG from the truck. Investing in a tuner such as a Predator or Superchips may cure your woes, but bear in mind it can effect your powertrain warranty coverage.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:57
AKFossil will become famous soon enough

I read somewhere that the computer makes adjustments for driving styles. In the Jeep Commander the Transmission "learned" the driving style and adjusted shift points accordingly. At least that was what I was told. Could this be the same issue? I drive through hills all the time and don't have this issue with the transmission like he does.
2010 Dodge Crew Cab Inferno Red: HID Low Beams & Fog Lights 6000K, LED Interior Lights, LED License Plate Lights, Black Nerf Bars, AVS Bug & Window Deflectors, K&N Drop In Filter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, MagnaFlow Muffler

Thinking about: New Wheels, and leveling kit.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the trans in the Ram has that adaptive learning feature, right? Had that in my 300M and the trans logic seemed to degrade over time (like it started to confuse itself) so I'd end up pulling the fuse and resetting the memory on it....

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with how the shift points are programmed either - just to echo your sentiments above.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'm not sure if the 545RFE part of the PCM will do it or not.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2010 ram 1500 4x4 06 300 srt8
Trim Level: slt - big horn
Color: light graystone
Rep:116
rainhater1 will become famous soon enoughrainhater1 will become famous soon enough

I don't have that many miles but go from 1K to 7K and don't have the problems you had? Might wan't to have it checked out
Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:25
SvB4EvA is on a distinguished road

I agree with the transmission. Everything you said. It is a piece of crap, whether its programing or not. Half the time I put the pedal to the floor it wont even down shift, it just slowly lugs up to higher RPMs.

The manual shifting is a joke, takes over a full second and a half to actually shift. Way to long IMO. I thought the manual shifting in my Cadillac was slow, my Ram is horrible.

Last edited by SvB4EvA; 10-22-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:57
AKFossil will become famous soon enough

I am not saying this transmission has a adaptive feature. All I am saying is that I read somewhere about the truck adapting to driving styles, but don't recall what I was reading about. Heck it could of been oil change frequency for all I know.

But so far if I punch it it goes, now if traction control is on and you punch it and the truck senses slip it will not take off like a bat out of hell but accelerate at a controlled speed. Could this possibly be the issue?
2010 Dodge Crew Cab Inferno Red: HID Low Beams & Fog Lights 6000K, LED Interior Lights, LED License Plate Lights, Black Nerf Bars, AVS Bug & Window Deflectors, K&N Drop In Filter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, MagnaFlow Muffler

Thinking about: New Wheels, and leveling kit.