DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 08 Ram Quad 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
08quadram is on a distinguished road
Default windshield washers

Did Dodge ever test this body style below freezing? I always run deicing washer fluid in the winter and it doesn't seem to matter. gets below freezing and the darn things don't work. Makes for wonderful driving when the salt trucks have been out and the road is a mess. Can't use the wipers because that just smears it. washer fluid won't work unless you've been sitting at a stop light with a hot engine. Get down the highway a mile and they are frozen up again.

Between that and windows freezing shut makes me think Dodge is not a cold weather vehicle (although it does quite well and can be a lot of fun in the snow)

Anyone have any ideas to keep them from freezing up?

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup" -Doc, IFSJA

Last edited by 08quadram; 12-17-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

What washer fluid are you running? In winter you need to run -45C washer fluid or the fluid itse;f freezes in the lines. I forgot to change mine over and we had an early freeze last year, and I ended up like you, with nothing!

They do well in the canadian winters, you just have to do the prep work. Like the doors, get a silicone spray lubricant and spray it where the weatherstriping seals and you won't have a freezing issue, also add dry graphite to your door locks if you use your key.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:08 AM

My fluid is good to -35f but they freeze by 15f. makes me mad that they are worthless most all winter. I don't have problems with the doors, just the windows occasionally. Mainly just the juice. Do they make a heater for them?

Maybe a good bug defector will help! Been wanting one. Help keep the "wind" off. I bet I can make that sell to the wife!

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup" -Doc, IFSJA
Old 12-18-2010, 09:51 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we have both -35 and -45 up here too, and the -35 is pretty much useless for us. As for in-line fluid heaters, I know a canadian chain was selling a washer fluid heater a couple of years ago, I had a look around for ya.

http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/
http://www.autoanything.com/driving-...A5007A0A0.aspx
Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 AM

I've seen that unit. Just haven't had time to research them yet.

Thanks for the look see.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I've had similar problems with all my vehicles, so it's not just a Dodge issue. As kurtis said, preparing is the best defense. It's possible that the lines are partially blocked (this happens with cheap fluid regardless of the temp rating). Disconnect the lines from the washer pump and nozzles and blow them out with compressed air.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Quad Cab 4 x 4
Trim Level: SLT Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
CanuckHRAM is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
What washer fluid are you running? In winter you need to run -45C washer fluid or the fluid itse;f freezes in the lines. I forgot to change mine over and we had an early freeze last year, and I ended up like you, with nothing!

They do well in the canadian winters, you just have to do the prep work. Like the doors, get a silicone spray lubricant and spray it where the weatherstriping seals and you won't have a freezing issue, also add dry graphite to your door locks if you use your key.

I agree entirely with CdnoilRAM. I run winter washer fluid all year round to ensure no freeze-up when the weather quickly changes and it does here in Canada. -45C is the best and you must keep the squirter nozzles located on the hood free of ice/snow. Silicone spray (weatherstripping) and graphite powder (door locks) is a must. I also use a good white lithium grease on the door hinges. Also, I always wipe dry the door and cab weatherstripping & edge metal whenever washing my truck in cold weather to prevent freezing.