DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.3, Manual
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:23
Mad Dog Tannen is on a distinguished road

Societal problem for sure!

The schools, parents, government, courts, culture. It's all a contributor. To top it off we have virtually no middle class left. This country in in decline in my opinion.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:40 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:869
jcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
I find it ironic that the education system is first to be blamed.

Is it really the education system, or that today's youth isn't willing to accept responsibility for their own actions?

Perhaps they have this perception of their parents bailing them out no matter what clusterfrick they get themselves into... and when the military shows them the realities in life, it's easier to go back to mommy and daddy and the Democrats spoon feeding their whiny asses.

Just sayin.
Being a young one myself, I honestly couldn't agree with you more. I'm not trying to be full of myself here, but I learned responsibility and respect from my parents and grandpa growing up. I can't say the same for people my age though. My grandpa was in the navy as a helicopter mechanic, so he was always a little more strict on my brothers and I. I'm glad he was, because I would kick my own ass, if I was a prick like most kids my age.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Willy P is on a distinguished road

I talk to more young men/women that either can't pass a drug test, have a criminal record or are on ADD/ADHD meds than those that can't pass the ASVAB.

But I also talk to a lot of people that have a GED.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:93
boosted20v will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to boosted20v

I recruited for 11 years and while there is alot of blame for the current state of our youth. Education can not be ignored. I could not believe the number of people that could not pass the ASVAB. I've tested college kids that couldn't pass!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 PM

Location: El Paso, TX via Centereach, NY, Vieques, PR, and San Antonio, TX
Vehicle: 2014 RAM 3500 Crew Cab Dually
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Bright White Clear Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:71
Rec 26 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Rec 26 Send a message via MSN to Rec 26 Send a message via Yahoo to Rec 26

I know where all of you guys that are on the trail is going thru. I was doing it from '05-'09 in Temple, TX (yeah, same BDE as Houston BN). Every year it got harder and harder to find someone that could pass the ASVAB with at least a 50. I had one school (Bartlett, TX... yeah, I'll bust them out) where the counselor calls me to talk to the head of the Senior Class. She cut a 5 on the EST the first time, then she took the ASVAB in school and cut a 20.

I do have to agree that it's the education system. I had another school where I put this one girl that graduated the bottom of her class (She got a 35 on the ASVAB) into the Reserves. Just about everyone else in her class (her graduating class was only 65 people... yeah... small town/school) told me that they got full scholarships to UT and Texas A&M. You guys recruiting know the story. I even had the parents tell me this as well. At the graduation at this school, they present the scholarships and mention the dollar amounts. I think the most was only for $1,000 and we all know how much college is. This is a poor area so I know the parents can't afford to send the kids. When my Future Solder was called (that's what we call our recuits in the Army) I presented her a check (yes... one of those big presentation checks) for $56,000. Then I went to explain pretty much the same thing I've been telling all the kids and those parents that didn't want their kids to join. (GI Bill, $20K enlistment bonus she got, Reserve tuition assistance, and the Hazlewood Act that covers 100% tuition at any Texas State funded school (UT, Texas A&M, Texas Tech...) and the Stanford Loan Repayment Program) Needless to say, there was not a single closed mouth in that graduation cause they do the diplomas there by your class rank and not alphabetical order.

Drove by that same town on my way to visit family/friends when I was on R&R from Iraq and I saw just about every single one of those kids either on the street F-ing off or in min. wage jobs. Not one going to college. Only one that went was my future soldier.

I tell that story cause 1. it was a slap in the face to that entire town since they were mostly anti-military and 2. I agree with all of you guys that it's education. And a social issue in my opinion. and I didn't mean to sound like I was still recruiting. Just saying what I did. Navy recruiter that covered the same schools as me and was a good buddy of mine at the time told me during that same leave that he did the same thing when he put someone in the Navy in that town and got the exact same response. Some people never learn....

My attitude then and I sometimes show it every now and then is this... Everyone in this country wants to serve in the military. They just don't know it yet.

I'm probably rambling and I apologize but recruiting duty WAS stressful for me and I really have no problem talking about it to anyone that will listen (it's helpful to be honest). Kinda funny thought... had to go back to Iraq to get over recruiting. LOL

2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab "SRT Hauler Mark I" (traded in)
2014 RAM 3500 Tradesman Crew Cab "SRT Hauler Mark III"
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT/Big Horn
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:36
nate8604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec 26 View Post
I know where all of you guys that are on the trail is going through. I was doing it from '05-'09 in Temple, TX (yeah, same BDE as Houston BN). Every year it got harder and harder to find someone that could pass the ASVAB with at least a 50. I had one school (Bartlett, TX... yeah, I'll bust them out) where the counselor calls me to talk to the head of the Senior Class. She cut a 5 on the EST the first time, then she took the ASVAB in school and cut a 20.

I do have to agree that it's the education system. I had another school where I put this one girl that graduated the bottom of her class (She got a 35 on the ASVAB) into the Reserves. Just about everyone else in her class (her graduating class was only 65 people... yeah... small town/school) told me that they got full scholarships to UT and Texas A&M. You guys recruiting know the story. I even had the parents tell me this as well. At the graduation at this school, they present the scholarships and mention the dollar amounts. I think the most was only for $1,000 and we all know how much college is. This is a poor area so I know the parents can't afford to send the kids. When my Future Solder was called (that's what we call our recruits in the Army) I presented her a check (yes... one of those big presentation checks) for $56,000. Then I went to explain pretty much the same thing I've been telling all the kids and those parents that didn't want their kids to join. (GI Bill, $20K enlistment bonus she got, Reserve tuition assistance, and the Hazlewood Act that covers 100% tuition at any Texas State funded school (UT, Texas A&M, Texas Tech...) and the Stanford Loan Repayment Program) Needless to say, there was not a single closed mouth in that graduation cause they do the diplomas there by your class rank and not alphabetical order.

Drove by that same town on my way to visit family/friends when I was on R&R from Iraq and I saw just about every single one of those kids either on the street F-ing off or in min. wage jobs. Not one going to college. Only one that went was my future soldier.

I tell that story cause 1. it was a slap in the face to that entire town since they were mostly anti-military and 2. I agree with all of you guys that it's education. And a social issue in my opinion. and I didn't mean to sound like I was still recruiting. Just saying what I did. Navy recruiter that covered the same schools as me and was a good buddy of mine at the time told me during that same leave that he did the same thing when he put someone in the Navy in that town and got the exact same response. Some people never learn....

My attitude then and I sometimes show it every now and then is this... Everyone in this country wants to serve in the military. They just don't know it yet.

I'm probably rambling and I apologize but recruiting duty WAS stressful for me and I really have no problem talking about it to anyone that will listen (it's helpful to be honest). Kinda funny thought... had to go back to Iraq to get over recruiting. LOL
Believe me I know exactly how you feel. Even though missions are lower than they have been in a long long time. Standards are higher than ever before. I myself cant wait to get a nice break in Afghanistan hopefully here in about a year. I actually love running into those people that say they are going to school and then I see them a year down the road and they are still working the same dead end job. I just ask them if they remember me and then tell them they look like they are doing well for themselves (obviously very sarcastically). I am very honest, or blunt however you want to say it with these kids too. the ones that cut like a 20 and tell me they are going to college I just let them know that that doesn't sound like a very plausible goal.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.3, Manual
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:23
Mad Dog Tannen is on a distinguished road

Ironically, I have a GED. I had to get a higher basic score on the ASVAB, get a waiver, and have 25(I think) college credits, to get in. I scored 98 which is higher than just about anyone I know in my squadron. Like you guys said, the questions are mostly common sense and most out there don't seem to have it!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:33
dtownkcufo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasey10 View Post
Being a young one myself, I honestly couldn't agree with you more. I'm not trying to be full of myself here, but I learned responsibility and respect from my parents and grandpa growing up. I can't say the same for people my age though. My grandpa was in the navy as a helicopter mechanic, so he was always a little more strict on my brothers and I. I'm glad he was, because I would kick my own ass, if I was a prick like most kids my age.

Good for you Josh! And that's where it all starts... at home.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 ST
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
missiongoalie35 is on a distinguished road

The ASVAB wasn't that hard. I thought the only physical fitness requirements you had to do were the 1-1-1's? For me that was like 13 p/u 18 s/u and like a ten minute mile. That's not hard at all even for someone who isn't in shape. Maybe the running but the other two, not so much.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT/Big Horn
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:36
nate8604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiongoalie35 View Post
The ASVAB wasn't that hard. I thought the only physical fitness requirements you had to do were the 1-1-1's? For me that was like 13 p/u 18 s/u and like a ten minute mile. That's not hard at all even for someone who isn't in shape. Maybe the running but the other two, not so much.
You are right most who pass the asvab will say it was relatively easy that why you passed it but a good group of todays youth can't do simple math without using a calculator. School cater to kids way too much I sat down with a young man and gave him the practice test which he failed when I asked what he struggled with he told me reading the questions. Now this young man was about 4 months away from graduating and when I asked him how he manages to pass his classes he told me the teachers read everything to him and he answers the questions. As far as physical requirements you have to remember every branch is different, and we all have our own standards, for us its 3 pull-up, 45 crunches, and 1 1/2 mile in 13:30. This is the day in age of video games and computers you have no idea how many time i put a kid on my pull-up bar and he can barley manage a wiggle.