DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of
Talking 2011 Nav Review

While at the dealer today for my oil change I met up with the salesman that worked with me on my purchase of RB. I asked if I could play with a 2011 Ram that has the new Nav system. He was all for it because he hadn't played with one yet himself.

We used a black sport CC as our test subject (nice Ram, looks sharp and no I'm not replacing RB.)

1. The system is in fact a Garmin system. When you first bring it up it looks just like the hand-held Garmin systems.

2. Finding a point of interest such as a store is easy as pie and it finds one locally instead of 200 miles away like the Navteq system does.

3. Address input was straight forward; enter city, house number, street name (no need to put w, e, s, n), it will determine the directions based on address number and if the number could be at both ends of a street (e, w, etc) it will give you the option to pick which one you want.

4. If you are taking a cross country trip you can set way-points and do other cool things with the nav as well.

Bottom line, if you want to pay the extra $$$ for the Nav in the truck rather than buying a hand-held for a couple hundred bucks or less, then I'd say the new nav system is the way to go.

I have no information on the cost to update the maps for the new systems. But I do know Garmin has a lifetime update available for their hand-held units for around $200 or less and would not be surprised if the same was available for the built-in units.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Rep:10
bryce05 is on a distinguished road

Thats good to here I ordered it in my new sport and have heard a bunch of bad stuff from the last model
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:299
KennyPowers is a jewel in the roughKennyPowers is a jewel in the roughKennyPowers is a jewel in the rough

Is it possible to swap out the standard stereo unit for a 2011 nav system? I'm leaning towards no because the nav system looks bigger, and the center trim has the automatic climate control incorporated in it.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 PM

RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Yes for about 3,000 if you want the same unit that's in the 2011. There are other systems available but I don't believe they have the Garmin based nav system you definitely don't want the Navteq system.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
CanadianInfernoRed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Is it possible to swap out the standard stereo unit for a 2011 nav system? I'm leaning towards no because the nav system looks bigger, and the center trim has the automatic climate control incorporated in it.
What do you mean ... do you have a picture to help clarify?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 PM

KennyPowers is a jewel in the roughKennyPowers is a jewel in the roughKennyPowers is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianInfernoRed View Post
What do you mean ... do you have a picture to help clarify?
Sure. Here's an example of the nav system.

I'm assuming all models with the nav system have the digital/automatic climate control as well. It seems to me that the nav system looks bigger than the standard cd stereo system. So would it be as simple as popping out the regular cd player and sliding in the nav system?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:40 PM

Nav has nothing to do with the climate control. Your radio can be replaced with the radio that has the nav, but it'll cost you around 3,000.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
Nav has nothing to do with the climate control. Your radio can be replaced with the radio that has the nav, but it'll cost you around 3,000.
I understand that. I just thought the center trim piece may be different due to that. Maybe I could find a wrecked one in a junkyard and rip it out and do it myself. Thanks for the information.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I understand that. I just thought the center trim piece may be different due to that. Maybe I could find a wrecked one in a junkyard and rip it out and do it myself. Thanks for the information.
Ah, now I understand. The center bezel is different for the touch screen (nav and non-nav) type radios than the one you showed in the second picture.

If you can find a 2011 in the junk yard with the Garmin nav system in it, let me know.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

I thought that the centre trim piece is the same regardless of having the touch screen REN/RER or regular RES/RSC radio. Are they not both double DIN radios . Also, regular heating controls or auto controls should not make any difference. I'd like to know as well since I am planning on swapping my RSC radio for an Alpine or pioneer unit.