DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram – 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
audiophile is on a distinguished road

First thing I would look at would be the oil pump, specifically the pick up strainer. I had the same problem last year until it dropped pressure all together (90 miles from home). It is not a difficult fix but will take a few hours. Once the pan is off the strainer and pump are easy to access and they are not expensive. We were able to just clean the strainer and I think the pump was around 20 dollars. You will need to pick up a new gasket as well.
What happened was over time the oil that is left in the engine becomes carbon and will circulate in the oil pan. If there is to much it will eventually start clogging the strainer and make your pressure drop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00280.jpg (127.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00279.jpg (127.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00278.jpg (119.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 5.2 4x4 Reg Cab
Trim Level: ????
Color: black
MikeCameron1978 is on a distinguished road

First let me say this site is UNREAL! Thanks to all the knowledgeable people who take the time to help out, you have no idea how excited I am to have your help…..now…..New development, almost ran out of oil! I seen the oil light flicker once or twice and then the other day I was driving in a storm and had to lock it up and the oil light came on and stayed for a few seconds so I pulled over and checked the oil…it was damn near dry! I just changed the oil & filter along with the oil sending unit about 350 miles ago. I checked around the filter and the sending unit and no leaks. I do not see any other leaks around the engine I even filled it up ran it and parked it in the garage over top of a piece of cardboard to pinpoint the issue. I do see white smoke when it fires up but it goes away once warmed up. My initial thought was head gasket but I can’t see it burning through that much oil that quick??? I was down I coolant a little. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:25
Maddevill is on a distinguished road
Talking Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCameron1978 View Post
First let me say this site is UNREAL! Thanks to all the knowledgeable people who take the time to help out, you have no idea how excited I am to have your help…..now…..New development, almost ran out of oil! I seen the oil light flicker once or twice and then the other day I was driving in a storm and had to lock it up and the oil light came on and stayed for a few seconds so I pulled over and checked the oil…it was damn near dry! I just changed the oil & filter along with the oil sending unit about 350 miles ago. I checked around the filter and the sending unit and no leaks. I do not see any other leaks around the engine I even filled it up ran it and parked it in the garage over top of a piece of cardboard to pinpoint the issue. I do see white smoke when it fires up but it goes away once warmed up. My initial thought was head gasket but I can’t see it burning through that much oil that quick??? I was down I coolant a little. Any suggestions would be appreciated
You might have someone follow you and see if it is smoking while driving. You may have a head issue.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thats what I am scared of, i have not checked the TB to see if there is oil in there from the plenum gasket issue....would that eat that much oil that fast??
Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '11 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
Bry will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
First thing I would look at would be the oil pump, specifically the pick up strainer. I had the same problem last year until it dropped pressure all together (90 miles from home). It is not a difficult fix but will take a few hours. Once the pan is off the strainer and pump are easy to access and they are not expensive. We were able to just clean the strainer and I think the pump was around 20 dollars. You will need to pick up a new gasket as well.
What happened was over time the oil that is left in the engine becomes carbon and will circulate in the oil pan. If there is to much it will eventually start clogging the strainer and make your pressure drop.
+1 on this. I went thru something similar last year with mine shortly after i bought it. Oil gauge was normal then would drop to zero. One day it started sound like my motor was one of the Power Wheel toys with the clicker deal on the rear wheels...took it to my mechanic and to the local Dodge stealership. Stealership put a new sending unit on, didnt solve the problem. Mechanic dropped the oil pan..the oil looked nasty ass..like it had never been changed (in my defense, I bought it used with 23k and changed the oil 2 days after i brought it home) Anyways, pick up tube was clogged about 70% with sludge; it started starving the motor, hence the Power Wheels noise. New oil pump, pick up tube, fresh oil and filter, pan gaskets and sending unit. I ended up changing the oil 500 miles afterwards to check for any metal shavings, which I didnt find, and hasnt given me any problem since.

Best to get it looked it ASAP before it causes you some long term effects
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I had someone follow me and no white smoke after start up. The coolant level seems to have stopped decreasing (it was down when I got it so I think it has leveled out) The oil level howerever is still dropping. The new oil that i just put in is now black already after 75 miles(I think I have the same problem as Bry) I did notice that when I let it sit to warm up there is quite a bit of black spatter in the snow below the tailpipe. ANy ideas on what could cause this spatter and oild loss??
Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 dodge ram 3500 4x4 qcdrw
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
whi3500mag is on a distinguished road

i think plinum gasket you should check it
Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Alright Fellas I got a pic of the inside of the TB...kinda

IT looks all oil stained inside as well...is this the result of a nad plenum gasket?? Could this be the culprit of the oil loss problem?? Also while i had if off i disonnected teh hose the goes in to the valve cover and took the plug out og the valve cover and found a yellowish liquid in it lloks like this

What the hell could this be???
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

dont mind the typing errors, late at night!